Interested in learning to sew....need suggestions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-07-2003, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am interested in learning to sew. I want to be able to sew baby slings, clothes, and house stuff (curtains, pillows...etc). Does anyone know of any good sites I can go to to learn to sew? Or any classes? I know a little about sewing, but not enough. I plan on purchasing a second-hand singer to get started. Any help would be appreciated.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#2 of 5 Old 07-08-2003, 12:40 AM

I don't have any web sites but if you check your local sewing shops they often offer classes.
I'm a beginner sewer too and I finally just started "winging" it and teaching myself. I started with easy stuff like beanbags for the kids to play with then went on to simple clothing and some stuffed animals. I practiced different stitches to see what was sturdier, etc and just experimented-I still do!
I did pick up a few books from the library and browsed thru them to get some ideas and pointers.
And ask around to your friends. I have a SIL and friend that I ask lots of questions and they have taught me a lot.
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#3 of 5 Old 07-08-2003, 01:09 AM

I second what Ann said about sewing classes, and experimentation. Also, if you know someone who sews, it wouldn't hurt to ask them to sit down and show you some of the basics. If all else fails, get an easy pattern/how-to book, and go from there.

Good luck! I have picked up machine sewing pretty quickly, and the only sewing project I had ever done until recently were the "hammer pants" I sewed in my jr. high sewing class. :LOL
#4 of 5 Old 07-09-2003, 10:59 AM

Before you buy, check around at stores in your area that do resales. There are two sewing machine store here that sell new and used machines and no matter what you buy, you are entitled to free basic lessons. The lessons cover machine basics, stitches, zippers, button holes, simple pillows, etc. You can retake the lessons as often as you need to "get it."

I don't know if this is something offered in your area, but it's worth a shot to try it!
#5 of 5 Old 07-09-2003, 11:13 PM

Is there a Community College in your area? I just finished my second semester of classes and I have learned a lot. You could do wahtever you wanted and got to use very good machines and sergers. My teacher was great, she has lots of years of experience and loves to teach. Good luck

Jula

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page