sewing my first fitted, do I need special notions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-07-2003, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help, please.
I want to sew some fitted diapers, using my CPF's. I've already traced a diaper I like and cut it out. But before I actually go ahead and start stitching, I was wondering if I need a special thread for this? What about the needle? I'm borrowing my MIL's sewing machine, and I don't want to ruin her stuff! What got me thinking of this is that I was trying to make a practice dipe using an old towel. When I tried to pin two pieces together, my pin bent a lot!! So I realized I do not want to put this in machine!!
Anyway, would you mamas be so kind as to offer some advice on getting started?? If this goes well, I just may end up making more diapers... and who knows what else!?!

Thanks so much!!
#2 of 5 Old 07-08-2003, 12:09 AM

I too tried a thin towel first.. I quickly realised sewing this fabric really wasent compairable to sewing on the fabrics I had bought

I just use regular coats & clark from walmart.. but I do not sew for profit.. only for my own use.. so the sellers here can probably recomend better

I use a size 14 needle from walmart.. you may break it but they are pretty cheep to replace.. I think $1.50 for 4?? I dont remember

good luck & just go for it. you'll be ok
#3 of 5 Old 07-08-2003, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah, an old towel is way harder to sew than old prefolds. I always like to use the smallest needles I can, they usually pierce the fabric better and don't leave big holes. I mostly use #10 or 12, and for wovens, the Shmetz Universal needles are the best. The plain old Coats thread is OK, but Gutermann is better and smoother, it breaks less, leaves less lint in your machine.

I'm guessing you've seen the prefold to fitted directions on sew your own diapers??

Have fun!!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#4 of 5 Old 07-08-2003, 03:14 AM

I just sewed my first fitted last weekend. I learned that you need to use strong elastic. I bought some cheapo elastic (didn't realize there were different kinds), and it was so weak that by the time I had finished sewing it on, by pulling it taught, it didn't have enough elasticity left to gather up around the legs!

I just used whatever needle was already on the machine and it was fine.
#5 of 5 Old 07-08-2003, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, girls! I am using the directions you mentioned above for the basics, and using my own fitted to trace for measurements. I'm just going to go for it! What do I have to lose? an old prefold! So, I'll get some good elastic, check out the thread and go from there.
Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page