Dumb question: How do you sew straight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-09-2003, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday, I started working on a duvet (let me interject that I am a total novice sewer) and pinned it together in a line and then sewed just guiding the fabric while the machine pulled it but it didn't come out straight. Is this something that takes practice or is there a technique? Thanks.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-09-2003, 12:47 AM

My mother had me get a piece of notebook paper and practice sewing on the lines without thread
#3 of 10 Old 07-09-2003, 01:12 AM

It takes a while to learn to "steer" your fabric. There should be guides on your machine, though. To the left and especially to the right of the foot, most machines have lines that denote the seam allowance incriments. I choose and line and stay on it (granted, staying on it takes practice). In the beginning, the slower you go the easier it should be to keep your fabric where you want it.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#4 of 10 Old 07-09-2003, 01:31 AM

Here's an idea that might help...i took a quilting class last winter and we actually put quilting tape (it looks like masking tape, but it's very narrow) on the quide line that we needed. We built up a few layers of the tape so that it was like a little wall for the fabric to snug up against. It definitely makes sewing straight lines easier.
#5 of 10 Old 07-09-2003, 01:32 AM

I have little lines to the right of the needle indicating the seam allowance in fractions of an inch. I pick a line, and keep the edge of the fabric on that line while I sew.

Is that helpful, or dumb and obvious?

#6 of 10 Old 07-09-2003, 01:38 AM

3 words: Magnetic Seam Guide! They sell them on the notions wall at Joanns for $3.xx. They're magnetic (obviously LOL) so they stick to the metal plate. You line the edge up with whatever legth you want to sew (usually 5/8" or 1/4") and it keeps the fabric right in place so that you can sew a straight seam. I couldn't live without mine!

Edited to add the link from Joann.com It's a bit more than I said though, at $4.99. It SEW worth it though!

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...1&PRODID=71937
#7 of 10 Old 07-09-2003, 01:48 AM

Ooooooooooooh!!

That looks so cool! Does it wiggle around at all? Or does it really stay put? It looks way stylier than my quilting tape fence thing :LOL
#8 of 10 Old 07-10-2003, 12:19 AM

I am beginner too. I used hat magnetic Seam Guide and it didn't work in my machine. yes it stuck but it wouldn't stick where I wanted it (does this make sense?) I try the piece of masking tape along on the guide line and it worked better. It also takes practice and low speed. Good luck.

Jula
#9 of 10 Old 07-10-2003, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by intymama
I am beginner too. I used hat magnetic Seam Guide and it didn't work in my machine. yes it stuck but it wouldn't stick where I wanted it (does this make sense?) I try the piece of masking tape along on the guide line and it worked better. It also takes practice and low speed. Good luck.

Jula
Hmmm I've used it on all 5 of my machines (don't ask! LOL) and I know lots of other mamas that use them, too, without a problem! I'm not sure what the issue is, as it always stays right in place for me.

I did forget to mention that there is also a screw-in variety. Most machines have a little screw hole just to the right of the presser foot which a seam guide can be inserted into. Come to think of it, my new Elna came with one that actually attached to the shank of the foot. It's pretty primitive though and I don't like it.
#10 of 10 Old 07-10-2003, 12:43 PM

i practiced sewing along the stripes on striped fabric. it worked for me! it's a little tedious to practice--but i was only in 3rd grade at the time--so what else did i have to do...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page