Diaper-Sewing Questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-10-2003, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
TLL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! My partner is due with our first baby in January, and we have decided to get a head start on sewing some diapers. We have made one, and now are collecting supplies (waiting on an order of PUL) to make lots more!

Since this is all brand new to me, I have a couple of questions, and thought I'd run them by you diaper-sewing pros!

1. We plan on making some fitteds with covers and some AIOs. Most of the patterns and info I've seen on the internet show the covers and AIOs with fold-over-elastic binding, or some sort of binding. Is this necessary, or can I just sew them together inside out and then turn them and topstitch with polyester thread? Binding feels like extra work, but if it is necessary to prevent leaking, then I guess it is worth it!

2. Do patterns that say they are for newborns really fit newborns? I suppose it depends on the patterns, but most seem to be for 8 lbs +, and I know lots of newborns are smaller than that. It is hard to be making these diapers when we're not mommies yet, so have no idea what size our baby is going to be! But we're trying a couple of different styles, and hopefully something (if not everything we make!) will work!

I had a list of questions, but now I can't find it and those are the only ones I can remember! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when I think of them, and when I start doing more sewing. If anyone has general advice to offer a newbie, I'd welcome it. I have enjoyed reading through previous posts and look forward to learning more!. Thanks!

TLL
partner to KEB, edd 1/1/2004
#2 of 11 Old 07-10-2003, 02:28 AM

I am pretty new to sewing diapers too. About the AIO's if you have a serger you can just serge the layers together without putting binding on the edges, I would assume you could turn and topstitch as well with no problems. And on the newborn fit. I would buy some preemie size CPF's and a few newborn covers as a back up incase your fitteds didn't fit in the beginning. They are inexpensive and work well as doublers when baby is little older
#3 of 11 Old 07-13-2003, 01:44 AM

Well for covers, I would bind with foldover, or fleece. Some babies can't handle the PUL next to their skin. My son had a problem with this, so we bound covers with foldover elastic. As far as AIO's, you can serge, or turn and topstitch, but they may wick or leak at the crotch and legs. It kinda seems to be a hit or miss thing. I have had good luck using a poly or PUL outer and turning and topstitching, without wicking problems.

As far as pattern size, if you have access to a newborn disposie, you could use that to check on diaper size. Sometimes even those are too big on newborns, but it can give you a decent idea of approximate size they need to be.

Good luck, diaper making is fun!
#4 of 11 Old 07-13-2003, 02:06 AM

I am a really really new diaper sewer as well. The only thing I would have to say is I HATE foldover elastic.
This is just my personal opinion of course.. so many people use it.
I bind my covers in pul or nylon/spandex blanket binding (but not for velcro covers, it snags!)

We have a few newborn size fitteds that we bought and are trying to copy. but I mainly plan on using flats until he is bigger.

Good luck and congrats!

Nina
#5 of 11 Old 07-13-2003, 12:17 PM

I made quite a few fleece AIO's by turning and topstitching, and it worked great..I used the Honeyboy pattern, which is designed to be a turned and topstitched AIO. I haven't ever tried it with PUL, but my understanding is that you can get wicking from all the extra holes punched when you topstitch..but like I said, I don't have any first-hand experience.

Good luck with your diaper sewing!
#6 of 11 Old 07-14-2003, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
TLL

Thanks for the responses! We've now made a few fitted diapers, which we turned but didn't top stitch - mainly because the velcro was so close to the edges that there was no room for a top stitch!

I don't have a serger, so that's not an option. I might end up trying binding, but it feels a bit overwhelming to me at this point - I am still a very new sewer, so I'm just taking it step-by-step.

Here's another question - can anyone tell me the difference between velcro and aplix?

Thanks!

-Tracy
#7 of 11 Old 07-15-2003, 01:09 AM

Location: Hot and Humid, Home of the Field Artilery, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma
Well, IMO- Aplix is softer than velcro. It "bends" or curves at the waist eaiser than velcro. I also think it holds out better. I have heard of some Momma's how pick Aplix off old diapers and reuse it.

Aplix is a bit more expensive than velcro, but well worth it. I have bought mine off the internet from Janelle's PUL. I don't have the exact link right off hand, but do a search and you can find it.

Here are some links to sewing diapers that I have found useful. Also check out www.onestopdiapershop.com to purchase supplies

http://momzworld.tripod.com/clothdiaper/freepattern.htm
http://www.poopockets.com/mfym/pocket/ppp.htm
http://www.geocities.com/charmie981/MakePrefolds.html
this is one I really like http://geocities.com/myfreediaperpattern/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kfegelman/index.htm -this one is just full of good diaper info.

Check out the diapering forum here to find some good advice for diapers.

Also when my twins were newborns we just used prefolds and covers until they were big enough for fitteds but believe me it doesn't take to long.....

Have fun sewing! It can really be addictive.

Tawnya
#8 of 11 Old 07-15-2003, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the info. AS a new CD sewing mom I have loads fo questions, which you all have answered most graciously. I am glad that someone asked about the binding, I bough some WAHM AIO's on ebay and they were bound with the elastic stuff, which I liked. I have not tried to sew with it myself though. It seemed to make the leg holes tighter (know this was key with my 1st 2 in sposies and BF poop) than just elastic inside.

I haven't tried to make any covers myself yet, waiting on supplies. Tried one fitted (used the average nb fitted on dipaersewing.com) and it was huge....need to come down on the length. Also my elastic was very close to the edge (too close, got caught in the top stitching

Covers.......If I use fleece (MM windpro) what should I "line" it with? Do most covers have absorbant material too or not? I am assuming not, but I don't own any yet to check. This windpro cannot be used on the inside of a diaper. right? will repel teh pee and make a huge mess?

CAn I use microfleece from a sewing store on the inside?

But AIO's have what? Flannel on the inside? What about fleece? I only own one set of AIO (I am a true newbie at this) and they had flannel on the inside.......please help........so many questions and so much time ((((12/18))))
#9 of 11 Old 07-20-2003, 04:36 PM

I've only sewn dipes with the Honeyboy pattern -- those are turned and topstitched and don't need binding. For those, they do have a "newborn" size which was too small for all 4 newborns I've made them for (not mine, LOL!). If you go with that pattern, I'd recommend a size small rather than newborn.
#10 of 11 Old 07-20-2003, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tmrhopkins

Aplix is a bit more expensive than velcro, but well worth it.
Actually, I found aplix to be less expensive since you can buy the hook separate from the loop, and you use so much more loop than hook when making diapers.

*edited to fix my mistake!*
#11 of 11 Old 07-22-2003, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
TLL

Thanks to all for the info.

At this point, I'm just going to make what I've got the supplies to make and hope these diapers work! I'll also, following LuvMy2Kidz' suggestion, buy some preemie prefolds in case the little one is too little for what I've made.

Worst case scenario, none of these diapers work, but I've learned a lot about sewing diapers as I start working on the next size up!

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page