Fairies and Mermaids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter has requested a fairy doll. This doll must be soft (like a Waldorf doll), have wings and long blond hair. DD also mentioned that after that she wants a mermaid - with blue hair if possible!

I have made just two dolls before, so I am by no means an expert, but I think I am starting to get the hang of it. I do better with a kit or at least detailed instructions, but I don't need a beginner or super-easy kit.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This has probably been asked before, so feel free to just direct me to another thread.

TIA!

Adele

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#2 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 01:07 PM

Here's a couple of Mermaid kits-

I love this family business-
http://www.weirdollsandcrafts.com/wa...-doll-kit.html

The old standby-
http://www.magiccabin.com/magiccabin...c=172&sv=33347

I don't know of any Fairy Kits, off hand, but this is a wonderful WAHM business and Amy is so helpful- I know she can help you put something together and she carries all the best quality materials. Good luck!--

www.dancingraindolls.com
#3 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the great links! I will probably go with the Weir kit for the mermaid. I think for the fairy I will make a regular doll and then attach wings or a fairy costume with wings. I will need to talk with my daughter about whether she wants the whole doll including the wings to be soft and cuddly, or if she would rather have stiffer wings that stand out, but are not really cuddly.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#4 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 PM

i think some mama's make a regular doll and then sew a mermaid tail that slips over the legs...i'll see if i can find a linky
#5 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 07:04 PM

here's a link to a pic on dancingrain.com - scroll down!

http://www.dancingraindolls.com/Fantasy_Delight.html
#6 of 25 Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

The other day dd and I had a really good time looking at pictures online and deciding what to get. I have ordered the turquoise Weir mermaid kit, which seems to be exactly what she wanted. DD loved the picture of the fairy doll on dancingrain.com. She was particularly happy that it is a "Flower Fairy". I purchased the eBook of Amy's patterns and directions. It has great detailed directions and I think I am going to try her method for sewing the head "skin" and body, which is slightly different from the method I have used before. But I don't see a pattern or directions for making a fairy costume with wings. Am I just missing something on the web site? Or maybe I should contact Amy directly?

#7 of 25 Old 08-09-2007, 03:24 PM

Amy is a busy WAHM and homeschooling 3 little girls. It wouldn't surprise me if she hasn't gotten the patterns for her fairy done yet. She is so helpful on the phone or by email, but like most moms, may not be able to get back to you instantly, but she's so helpful when she does get the time. I would contact her, definitely.
#8 of 25 Old 08-09-2007, 04:39 PM

the dancingraindolls.com emailed pattern booklet comes with patterns for
Quote:
dresses, sun suits, nightgowns, pants, overalls, bloomers and
panties, a cape, fairy and ballerina costume and how to make a mermaid tail and halter
She told me a month or two ago that her mermaid doll prototype pattern was being reviewed by someone - so maybe it won't be too much longer?
#9 of 25 Old 08-15-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

My Weir mermaid kit has arrived and Amy just sent me patterns and instructions for the fairy wings and petal skirt, so I am good to go!

#10 of 25 Old 08-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Good luck and enjoy! Please post some photos when you are finished, for all of us to admire. :
#11 of 25 Old 08-18-2007, 03:04 AM

I must be totally dense... where did you find the eBook of patterns to purchase? I looked all over the site and I couldn't find it.

Thanks!!
#12 of 25 Old 08-19-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
I must be totally dense... where did you find the eBook of patterns to purchase? I looked all over the site and I couldn't find it.

Thanks!!
The page on the site is here. The paragraph at the top under the title "Would you like to know how I create dolls and clothing such as these?" tells about the book. Directly to the left of that paragraph it says "Order it here!" and there is an Order Now button. It is a little confusing because it looks like you're ordering the doll pictured above but it is the eBook. The eBook only costs $10 and the dolls usually cost more.

Have fun!

#13 of 25 Old 08-22-2007, 12:55 AM

Thank you!!
#14 of 25 Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post
The page on the site is here. The paragraph at the top under the title "Would you like to know how I create dolls and clothing such as these?" tells about the book. Directly to the left of that paragraph it says "Order it here!" and there is an Order Now button. It is a little confusing because it looks like you're ordering the doll pictured above but it is the eBook. The eBook only costs $10 and the dolls usually cost more.

Have fun!
OK. I just looked for how to order this and STILL can't find it. Any more advice? ack! What am I missing? :

thanks!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#15 of 25 Old 08-29-2007, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl View Post
OK. I just looked for how to order this and STILL can't find it. Any more advice? ack! What am I missing? :

thanks!
megin
You're not missing anything. The page has changed! Oh dear! :

The new mermaid kit is where the eBook order button used to be, and now I can't find how to order the pattern book anywhere. Maybe the web site is in the process of being updated?? Or maybe the pattern eBook didn't sell well for her? You could email Amy and ask. I think the eBook is great - definitely worth getting. Good luck!

#16 of 25 Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 PM

http://www.dancingraindolls.com/Mermaid_Doll_Kit.html

I know Amy the WAHM behind dancingraindolls is working on the page- she said she hopes to have it back up and running by the 1st. BTW- there's a co-op for her dolls down in the Co-op section 20% off
#17 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 11:46 PM

I like a small version of a fairy that they have at:
www.thesilverpenny.com
#18 of 25 Old 10-01-2007, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamocak View Post
I like a small version of a fairy that they have at:
www.thesilverpenny.com
I checked out that site too. Those fairies are adorable, but my dd wanted a soft, Waldorf doll-type fairy. However I think I am going to get the set of six tiny butterfly wings to use for necklaces - one for the fairy doll and one for dd!

BTW - I haven't forgotten about posting pictures. I am currently making a baby afghan for a friend that I want to get done in time for the shower, so I haven't gotten to start the dolls yet, but they are next on my list!

#19 of 25 Old 10-02-2007, 12:30 AM

did you have to pay extra for the fairy clothing pattern? I'm going to be ordering a kit (or 2) while the coupon for the cancalled co-op is still good and my girls mentined they wanted mermaids and fairies!

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#20 of 25 Old 10-02-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
did you have to pay extra for the fairy clothing pattern? I'm going to be ordering a kit (or 2) while the coupon for the cancalled co-op is still good and my girls mentined they wanted mermaids and fairies!
I ordered an eBook that cost about $15 and contained directions for the basic doll and patterns for lots of different clothes including a mermaid tail. Amy sent me the pattern for the fairy costume separately after I sent her an email and it did not cost me extra, but I think Amy is selling her various different patterns separately now along with kits rather than altogether in one eBook (I think this based on her updated website).
I would order the kits and include a note about what you want to do (or send a separate email) and I'm sure Amy will be able to help you out.

#21 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

And finally, months later, I have a picture of the completed product!

The mermaid anyway. I am working on the fairy doll now.

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions. I'm pretty pleased with how the mermaid turned out.

#22 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I ordered an eBook that cost about $15 and contained directions for the basic doll and patterns for lots of different clothes including a mermaid tail. Amy sent me the pattern for the fairy costume separately after I sent her an email and it did not cost me extra, but I think Amy is selling her various different patterns separately now along with kits rather than altogether in one eBook (I think this based on her updated website).
I would order the kits and include a note about what you want to do (or send a separate email) and I'm sure Amy will be able to help you out.
i did get ahold of Amy and got her Fairy outfit pattern

now i just need to start sewing the doll and the fairy outfit! but i did get a nightgown for the doll done already! LOL

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#23 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
And finally, months later, I have a picture of the completed product!

The mermaid anyway. I am working on the fairy doll now.

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions. I'm pretty pleased with how the mermaid turned out.
You did a beautiful job on her! Thanks for sharing the photo.
#24 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
i did get ahold of Amy and got her Fairy outfit pattern

now i just need to start sewing the doll and the fairy outfit! but i did get a nightgown for the doll done already! LOL
That's great! Be sure and post pictures when you are done please! :

#25 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi View Post
You did a beautiful job on her! Thanks for sharing the photo.
Thank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page