ok diaper making mamas..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-12-2003, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do any of you use a rotary cutter or a rotary mat to make your diapers? if so do you think it helps, could you live without it? or do you think it's a must, that it makes cutting out patterns, etc easier.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-12-2003, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love my rotary cutter for cutting multiples and things with straight line like soaker pads. I could live without it (in fact I just pulled it out of a drawer about 6 months ago, so I DID live without it for years, lol!), but it makes it easier and faster and gives my hands a break (I have lots of probs with my hands)

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#3 of 8 Old 07-12-2003, 09:34 PM

I didn't lik eusing it because the Cuddlebuns pattern was bigger than my mat (the tabs) so I couldn't go all the way around with the rotary cutter without scratching the table. I just made 4 pocket dipes and I just cut the pieces out using scissors.
#4 of 8 Old 07-12-2003, 10:26 PM

I love mine for making prefolds, that's for sure! I use the mat to protect the table (and to protect the fabric from dirt that Samuel might have left on the table), but when I'm cutting anything with shape to it, I just use scissors. I have a hard time with rotary cutters and curves .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#5 of 8 Old 07-12-2003, 11:15 PM

Mine is as dull as golf on TV, but I had actually never thought about using it for cutting patterns out! I used it for squares and such.

Hm, methinks I might have to get a new one and mat...I have the beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrom or arthritis I am sure, my hands ache after a lot of cutting (dull scissors might have something to do with LOL, but it's also at the 'puter too...)
#6 of 8 Old 07-12-2003, 11:54 PM

I use mine for cutting straight lines, like soakers, but not for the main diaper parts. Unless you have hard templates, I think it's too hard to go around the curves with one. I just use the good old scissors for that. I got mine for quilting and it's priceless for that, of course!
#7 of 8 Old 07-13-2003, 01:25 AM

Personally, I never use mine for diaper making. Just can't get used to it, and I think it takes more time to layer fabric on top of each other, than to just cut out seperately. I do have one though, and use it for other things, just not diapers
#8 of 8 Old 07-14-2003, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

thanks mama for all your input!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page