Diaper sewing question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-13-2003, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made a fitted diaper last week that actually turned out pretty well, but the wings were drooping on the sides. I used velcro closure. What can I do to prevent this from happening? Longer velcro closure strips? Does the width of the velcro make a difference?

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 07-13-2003, 12:09 PM

I don't think I understand what you mean by "drooping" on the sides. The the baby's sides or the sides around the velcro fasteners??
#3 of 4 Old 07-13-2003, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

The front of the diaper kind of droops down on the sides, near the baby's hips, so the ends start to show, underneath the part that is attached in front. It happens because the diaper is only fastened in the front. If I had it on a bigger setting - fastened out towards his hips rather than the middle of his belly - they would be held up. Does this make any sense? I've had it happen on some WAHM diapers that I have, but then others it doesn't happen, and I just don't know what it is that prevents this from happening.
#4 of 4 Old 07-13-2003, 02:55 PM

This is the infamous Wing Droop.

I'd suggest maybe adding a hip snap or two.

What I personally do for my velcro dipes is make angled velcro; angled down into a v.

Cut a wedge into your strip of velcro, about 5/8 of the way thru the thickness, about 1/2" at the opening. Bend it up so the edges of the 1/2" opening in the wedge are touching, then pin the velcro down to place the v.

Make sense? I can do a diagram later if you don't get my convoluted description:LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page