Made some cloth trainers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am really new to sewing. DD2 will only wear cloth diapers at night and now during the day only wants to wear underwear (Yay the joys of potty learning ) anyway I have some gerber trainers but they are not very absorbant and I looked at how much some other cloth trainers are and well they are a little to spendy for me. So I tried making some of my own.

I took fruit of the loom underwear (2t/3t) and turned them into training pants.

1) I undid the seam in the underwear where there are two layers.

2) I cut up some cottonbabies Micro fiber inserts that I had to fit in between the 2 layers. then stuffed the insert in.

3) I then zig zagged the seam closed.

4) I then sewed 3 lines into the layers so that there would be no shifting. Just relized that there looks like there is puckering on the lines but IFL I don't see this.
http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=144f990a.pbw
Not 100% waterproof. But much more absorbant then the gerber ones we have and pretty trim fitting.

Jessie, BWing Mama for the last 5 years to two wonderful Little girls. Blessed to have a DH who gets me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

I hope the link works on the pics

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So cute! Solves the "I want to wear big kid underwear" problem, too! : You did a great job, mama!

Would you mind if I put a link to this thread in the sticky?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Go right ahead and STICKY IT!.. BtW I made another pair last night and put a little PUL in with the insert to add a little waterproofing. It does help. I'll add some pics with that later
Jessie

Old 08-30-2007, 02:21 PM

That is a pretty cool idea

I'd like to make something similar, but I'd like the sides to open (snaps probably) for poop-y accidents. *sigh*
Old 09-01-2007, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

I hear ya. I don't have a snap press But I have been working with doing a side with hook and loop.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:49 PM

Here's my cloth trainers I have been working on. I had forgotten about opening up the crotch and slipping in the soaker material, so I just used a double piece of soaker terry (from the auto isle) and added a piece of soft flannel over the top to keep it from being in direct contact with the skin. I haven't tried them out yet, so I'll have to let you know how they hold up.

http://bayimg.com/daHbPAabb

http://bayimg.com/EAhbaAabb
Old 03-05-2008, 05:01 AM

These are awsome thanks for sharing
Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM

These are some great ideas! I keep trying to make new ones- didn't think to use the big girl panties-so much simpler. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to add an update. I've been making these like crazy and also did spend some money on the spendy trainers (for use at daycare they will use cloth trainers with snaps think MOE but won't use cloth dipes)

Any whoo the ones I made back in the fall are still in use and holding up great.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:50 AM

I found this linked from another thread and I'm thrilled! What a great idea! I've been trying to think how to get DS off his Cars Pullups (which he only pees in occasionally when he's too tired to wake up in time) because the disposable thing is annoying me, and now I think this could solve it! I'll just make some Cars underpants into training pants!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:28 AM

I am going to try this over Christmas....fab ladies

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 11-15-2008, 02:54 AM

Thanks so much- great idea!!

Trying to keep staying at home with my DDs: 11/95, 06/06, and 04/08. Married to my soulmate.
Got to admit it's getting better, getting better all the time.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:58 PM

Great ideas (and pix too)--
hopefully I'll remember this when we need it!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:24 PM

Great job!

Jen
Loving partner to Gia rainbow1284.gif and mama to heartbeat.gif (9/06) and A heartbeat.gif (1/09)

Old 01-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Is there any way one of you ladies could take a pic of these on say a doll so that I could get a better idea of the bulkyness? Or a small animal if you have one.

Theresa
Old 01-14-2009, 06:36 PM

That is a great idea!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:23 PM

What a great idea!! My dd is fully trained during the day, but most of the time is such a heavy sleeper and doesn't always get up to use the potty. She gets so sad because she still has to wear Pull-ups at night but really wants to wear panties. It makes me sad for her, I've been telling her that even though she feels like she is ready to wear panties, her body isn't quite there yet. We CD'd her whole life and I hate using the Overnights or Pull-ups, but also don't like the other PUL trainers, they seem to cause her to break out with rashes and such. This is a great idea because she can wear panties and still be protected. Thanks so much!!

:
Old 03-14-2009, 12:48 AM

WOW, that's pretty craft I never would have thought of it. Great idea!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 AM

Nice!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I searched out sewing cloth trainers and found this thread and made some trainers of my own yesterday!

I took some of my dd's favorite underwear and traced the crotch onto paper, going up a couple inches in front and back. I used this as my pattern for each of the fabrics I cut.

Then I cut up an AIO diaper that was useless to me (it is totally the wrong shape for my kids and always leaks) and used the outer fabric (PUL, I think?) as my waterproof layer. The diaper had 4 layers of terry cloth and I cut two of those as well. Then I took a soft prefold and used one layer of fabric from that as well. I put these four layers together (1 PUL, 2 terry, 1 cotton) and sewed across them a couple of times. Then I laid it in the underwear and zigzagged around the edges. I didn't even hem the edges of my 4 layer insert but it seems to be just fine. I added inserts to 2 pairs of her underwear and may do more. I was thinking of trying fleece for the soaker layer instead of terry as I have some scrap fleece handy.

I'm so excited! I have a big problem with using disposable pull-ups and the cloth trainers on the market are just so expensive! So I'm glad to have found a solution that doesn't fill up the landfill or cost me any money.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Great ideas. I made a nighttime trainer for dd by sewing a folded up preemie prefold into a Gerber training undies. Then she wears an Imse Vimse training pant over that for extra protection. Works great.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Old 08-07-2010, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is an awesome idea - thanks so much.

I was just looking around for a way to make some training pants without FOE because I need some for tomorrow and don't have time to go to the fabric store. This is perfect and way easier than making them from scratch. Thanks!

Mama to two little ones,

& one in heaven

User Tag List