Halloween Costumes 07 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2007, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This year I'm knitting an elven cloak. I figure I'll add tights and an elvish top.

Last year he was my sunshine.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/DSCF0036.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/DSCF0047.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/DSCF0039.jpg

ETA fixed the links so you see DS not the pirate jacket page

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
For hook look pirate stuff. Pirates are big this year so there should be lots out there. Here's a site with jackets http://www.tobeapirate.com/store/dPr...FSCTWAodt090wg it's probably more than you want to spend on a one day thing but you could look for pirate patterns. Then just add the hook.

For Peter you will need a pair of green tights, an over sized green t-shirt, a belt, a feather and felt to make a hat.

Cut the neck band off the t-shirt and make a small slit in the front of the neck opening, then cut the hem off and cut triangles out so that it has points.

For the hat you need two triangles with one short side one medium side and one very long side. Sew the triangles together along the short and medium side. Fold up the brim and add a feather. (I wish I could just draw it here to show you.)
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 09-13-2007, 01:37 AM

This year I'm dressing DD up as a princess and DS is going to be the frog prince. We have a big side by side double stroller (the kind that goes behind a bike) that I'm going to decorate as a carriage with posterboard or cardboard on the sides and canopy curtains on the front.

I have an old white satiny dress that I'm adjusting for DD. I'm adding sheer shimmery lavender sleeves and a layer of the same fabric over the bottom of the dress. I may add some sequins to it if I have time.

For DS I'm going to find or dye a green sleeper and add felt stuffed hands and feet. I'm going to make a green felt or fleece hood with the eyes and a gold stuffed crown.

I need to get started if we're going to make it for halloween though
Old 09-18-2007, 03:30 PM

my three yr old wants to be a ninja so I am hoping that won'tbe to hard and I don't know what the older one wants, he keep schanging his mind. Maybe we will go to the store and pick out patterns. I am getting excited reading this thread. I loved the little sunshine costume!!!!

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 AM

I plan on attempting to make ds' costume this year. I threw together his costume last year and got a TON of compliments-the only thing we purchased was the curly ribbon for his hair.

DS loves elephants, so I am trying to think of how to make an elephant head piece, or going a little easier and making him his 2nd favorite animal- a lion. Both with the appropriate romper/pants & shirt combo.

My question to all the creative mamas out there-any idea on how I can make an elephant headpiece where the ears stand up for a child who won't wear anything "bandy" (like a headband)?? Do I make a stuffable column stuffed tight with filler and some kind of wire? I'm at such a loss.

Anyone have any ideas and/or web sites I can look at? TIA!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEZMama View Post

My question to all the creative mamas out there-any idea on how I can make an elephant headpiece where the ears stand up for a child who won't wear anything "bandy" (like a headband)?? Do I make a stuffable column stuffed tight with filler and some kind of wire? I'm at such a loss.

Anyone have any ideas and/or web sites I can look at? TIA!
If I was making an elephant, I would buy a gray hooded sweatsuit and make the ears/trunk hook to the hood. My kid won't wear bandy things either!

We actually ended up buying Danny's lion costume from Old Navy. I couldn't find a gold/brown sweatsuit ANYWHERE!!! And if I bought the fabric, and the notions and the pattern, I would have spent way over $16 (which is how much costumes are at Old Navy), so I decided to give myself a break and just buy it.

But I made Julian's angel costume! I haven't made the tunic part yet, but I made the wings and halo. For the halo, I used a white headband, and hooked two pieces of wire (from a coat hanger) and glued white fluff to it. For the wings I used two coat hangers and duct taped them together (after I shaped them) and then tied white netty material around them.

Julian
Another one, I tried to get a close up of the back, but he wouldn't cooperate!
And here's Danny too.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM

I have no idea what to make (I imagine that making will be cheaper than buying something and definately more fun) for me or DP, but I think DS might be a ghost. What a fun thread.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:06 PM

Last year my gal was a butterfly and her first Halloween she was a devil.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/re-re/1...7602124271388/

This year she wants to be a broccoli.
I started another thread about it before I saw this one.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=756649

Old 10-03-2007, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This Pumpkin Costume has be intrigued (for my 2.5yrold dd) http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...extfmt=default
I am a little intimidated to work with crepe paper and wondering how practical the skirt would be riding in the car to our destination...I guess since it attaches with velcro I could put it on her when we arrive.
Also, does it look like the "ribbon" is made of crepe paper, too?

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

User Tag List