Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Deleted by user.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That looks great so far!

I am going to make my kids costumes (as always) but I think we are going to do something simpler this year.

My son wants to be a rockstar so I think we are going to punk up some basic clothes and spike (and maybe color) his hair and draw on some cool tattoos.

I made them tinkerbelle and peterpan last year.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:56 PM

VERY nice!!!!

I might make ours... I never dress up though.

My daughter wants to be a "hot pink" witch and my son wants to be a race car driver.

Any suggestions for patterns?

My MIL used to make the costumes and she has such great imagination and does so much more to the costumes that the pattern actually calls for. They would always be so whimsical and beautiful! Now she has 8 grandkids and cannot make them for everyone so she buys them now. I wish I had her talent, though! I can sew -- I just can never make them as beautiful with all the extra detail she added to them.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Deleted by user.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:57 PM

I love Halloween costumes. My 3 1/2 year old is going to be Rapunzel as she's been growing her hair for Locks of Love and this will be her last Halloween with really long hair for awhile. (We're getting it cut in Jan). My younger daughter is going to be a snowman. We're still working on all the details though. I'll be sewing both costumes so I had better get busy
Old 08-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Banned

Danny told me last week that he wants to be a lion, and he wants Julian to be an angel. I think the angel costume will be fairly easy, but I am a little nervous about making a lion costume. Anyone have any advice?
Old 08-25-2007, 02:43 PM

My son doesn't really know what he wants to be. So I've deceided since he pretends to be Link from zelda I would try to make him a costume of this. My neice has drawn a very detailed copy of his outfit so I can try. I not very good at sewing and will have to sew by hand(no machine), but I have high hopes that it will look nice.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:25 AM

I want to make an Evil Kanevil Costume for DS! It is just so appropriate! However, if I don't have time to make it (I have a lot of projects going on right now) then I might go with Junior Asparagus from Veggie Tales.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Oh, good, I want some good costume ideas. i don't know if ds even cares about a costume, but it would be fun to make him something he will enjoy dressing up with later. I have thought of a skunk, spider, ladybug, butterfly, parrot, or dragon... obviously there's an animal theme here I plan to keep it pretty simple, whatever we choose. If anyone has some totally non-commercial links for cool costume ideas, that would be fun to see. I was just doing an internet search but there are soo many commercial sites filled with pop-up windows, it's really annoying.

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
Old 08-26-2007, 11:13 PM

I'm looking for something easy to help ds be a puppy this year. Last year my husband sewed him a purple cat costume from no pattern and it blew my mind. I don't think I could handle that...but I am in search of a nice, easy pattern.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:37 AM

Oh yes!
Old 08-30-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *violet* View Post
I'm looking for something easy to help ds be a puppy this year. Last year my husband sewed him a purple cat costume from no pattern and it blew my mind. I don't think I could handle that...but I am in search of a nice, easy pattern.
I had a girlfried dress her little girls as an adorable dalmation puppy. I wish I had pics but they are on my other computer that is in storage.

She used a white hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants. She cut out black felt spots and I am not sure how she attached them but I am sure you could get a glue that would work great. If you wanted to selvage the sweatsuit to use later you could simply tack them with a few hand stitches so they can be removed later. She also attached black ears on the hood.

She painted her face with whiskers and a little black nose.

I think she had a red collar as well. I don't remember if she used a real one or if she made it of felt as well.

It was adorable.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 PM

Oooh! I like that idea for the dalmation! I'm thinking that's what he'll be exactly!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
Danny told me last week that he wants to be a lion, and he wants Julian to be an angel. I think the angel costume will be fairly easy, but I am a little nervous about making a lion costume. Anyone have any advice?

How old is Danny? I made some really simple animal costumes a couple of years ago using slightly stretchy low-pile fleece to make a simple cap, then adding ears and other details with yarn and felt. Sooo....two right triangles, figure out where ears would go and what they would look like and stitch them into the top when you stitch the triangles. I cut triangles because they were easy, then curved the top when I sewed it. Then for a lion, I'd take a ton of yarn and start sewing it directly onto the cap to make the mane. Ribbon or seam tape on the ends tie under the chin.

for the church pageant these were for, we just had the kids wear dark pants and plain t-shirts--the idea was to suggest the animal without getting super elaborate. For Halloween, I could see doing a gold or brown sweatsuit and figuring out a tail.

I asked dd if she remembered Halloween from last year (she did) and if she knows what she'd like to be. She wants to be a princess, "like E" (one of her best friends). Green dress. And <sigh> she made a point about the shoes. So we'll see. If I make the dress, I'm OK with spending a few dollars on little girl dress-up shoes, even if they have Tinkerbelle or something on them.

Mom of two girls.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claras_mom View Post
How old is Danny? I made some really simple animal costumes a couple of years ago using slightly stretchy low-pile fleece to make a simple cap, then adding ears and other details with yarn and felt. Sooo....two right triangles, figure out where ears would go and what they would look like and stitch them into the top when you stitch the triangles. I cut triangles because they were easy, then curved the top when I sewed it. Then for a lion, I'd take a ton of yarn and start sewing it directly onto the cap to make the mane. Ribbon or seam tape on the ends tie under the chin.

for the church pageant these were for, we just had the kids wear dark pants and plain t-shirts--the idea was to suggest the animal without getting super elaborate. For Halloween, I could see doing a gold or brown sweatsuit and figuring out a tail.

I asked dd if she remembered Halloween from last year (she did) and if she knows what she'd like to be. She wants to be a princess, "like E" (one of her best friends). Green dress. And <sigh> she made a point about the shoes. So we'll see. If I make the dress, I'm OK with spending a few dollars on little girl dress-up shoes, even if they have Tinkerbelle or something on them.
THose are awesome ideas! I was thinking about maybe buying a brown/tan sweatshirt with a hood, and making a mane out of bunched up brown yarn and attching it somehow. He is 3 and has some sensory issues, so a hood would be better than a hat. I doubt he will wear either, but at least we can't lose the hood! thanks for mentioning the tail - I had totally spaced that lions have tails! :
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 PM

Ooh! Neat thread. I'd love to make our own costume/s, but there's not a whole lot that I know how to do (or have the tools for). I'm trying to think of something easy that dd would care about being. The dog idea might work, but the rockstar idea would be awesome! Even if she's just a toddler. :P She LOVES music and "her" guitar (which is a ukelele) and tries to emulate them in music videos, which we watch all the time. So... any age-appropriate "rock star" ideas? I'm sure I could put something together, but if anyone has any rockin' ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:13 PM

My daughter wants to be a penguin. My oldest decided that they should all be penguins. I figure if I take a photo and add "Let It Snow!," we have our holiday cards.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Old 09-04-2007, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Deleted by user.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:03 PM

I need help!!! My 5yo wants to be a blue whale. I have no idea what to do. I tried to talk him into an orca since that's more distinctive and would be easier to indentify, but it has to be a blue whale. Please, please, please help me!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:56 PM

Great idea for a thread! I'll probably attempt to make my own costumes this year.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My DD wants to be an Owl, yes an owl. I'm thinking of making a Moth costume for my 1 y.o. DD and a Frog costume for my 2 y.o. DS.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
Old 09-08-2007, 07:08 PM

So, dd has been baby Elvis, a parrot, and a dalmation (we bought white hat, sweatshirt, gloves, and pants, then added black felt spots and a white felt tail we pinned on). Verrry cute and pretty easy. She still wears it for dress up). She just told me she wants to be a dolphin this year... so I have to figure that one out! Any ideas?

I think I'll do ds in bunting with a fish tail attached (he'll be only a few weeks old) and I can be a fisher-woman, so it'll be themed.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 09-09-2007, 12:24 PM

My older DS (4) wants to be a bat, which is pretty easy. I found this costume online that looks simple enough for me to do...here's hoping!
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and...&craftid=10275

Now I'm on the hunt for something for DS#2. He'll be 13 months at Halloween. I figure something easy, mainly involving sweatpants/shirt or some kind of jumper thing. But I'm not sure what. Anyone have any cute baby costume ideas?

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
Old 09-09-2007, 04:48 PM

A dog is a really easy one to do for a baby. Buy a hooded sweatshirt, sew on felt ears, and felt spots. You can decide to make a separate tail, or for a barely walking or not walking baby, no one is likely to notice.

Likewise, an orange sweatshirt can be easily turned into a pumpkin with black felt or marker, or red sweatshirt and green hat for strawberry.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 09-09-2007, 06:36 PM

My four year old son wants to be Captain Hook. The costumes available online look so cheap, so I guess I'm making it. Yikes! I suppose I should try to make a Peter Pan costume for my 2 year old if I have time. Otherwise he can be the dragon his brother was last year!

Any ideas for Hook or Peter Pan?

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 09-12-2007, 12:51 AM

Last year he just wanted to be a ghost-- super simple. This year he wants to be a saber tooth tiger or a prehistoric ground sloth!!! I found a tiger pattern, but I'm having trouble imagining the saber teeth. Any suggestions? He's 4, btw.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabird View Post
Oh, good, I want some good costume ideas. i don't know if ds even cares about a costume, but it would be fun to make him something he will enjoy dressing up with later. I have thought of a skunk, spider, ladybug, butterfly, parrot, or dragon... obviously there's an animal theme here I plan to keep it pretty simple, whatever we choose. If anyone has some totally non-commercial links for cool costume ideas, that would be fun to see. I was just doing an internet search but there are soo many commercial sites filled with pop-up windows, it's really annoying.

Try www.familyfun.com Do a search on Halloween costumes. They have a lot of great ideas with directions for costumes - some simple, some not so simple!

ETA - I am making this dragon for my 3 year old.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:10 AM

About the orca/blue whale:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e/DSC01979.jpg

Older ds made this whale shark for a homework project. I wonder if you could do similar one, but fits over the kid like this:

http://www.celebrateexpress.com/cele...956&SKU=252739
Old 09-12-2007, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
Any ideas for Hook or Peter Pan?
For hook look pirate stuff. Pirates are big this year so there should be lots out there. Here's a site with jackets http://www.tobeapirate.com/store/dPr...FSCTWAodt090wg it's probably more than you want to spend on a one day thing but you could look for pirate patterns. Then just add the hook.

For Peter you will need a pair of green tights, an over sized green t-shirt, a belt, a feather and felt to make a hat.

Cut the neck band off the t-shirt and make a small slit in the front of the neck opening, then cut the hem off and cut triangles out so that it has points.

For the hat you need two triangles with one short side one medium side and one very long side. Sew the triangles together along the short and medium side. Fold up the brim and add a feather. (I wish I could just draw it here to show you.)

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List