Mothering Forum banner

Washcloth help

683 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  TortelliniMama 
#1 ·
I am trying to make this cloth

I can't find the photo online--it's sort of round.

Here is my problem. For example in row 2, I follow instructions but after I knit 10, I still have one left.

After row 4, I have 2 left, etc.

I went online to knitting help.com to be sure I was doing the skpo correctly. I am.

Ok, so I started just knitting 2 together to get rid of the extra ones at the end of the row.

But when I get to the end of row 26 and then I have to repeat--REPEAT WHERE?

There are only a few stitches left, not 18.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what?

I ripped it out 3 times and I want to give up except I really like that cloth!
:

See less See more
#3 ·
I can't do it in my head, and I need to get to bed, so I'm fighting my urge to cast on and try this right now, but I think the problem is that you're *supposed* to have those extra stitches left at the end of each row. That's why it says "turn" at the end of each row. That's a sign that it's using short rows. When you're supposed to use up all the stitches, patterns usually assume that you're going to turn, because what else could you do?
Stop trying to get rid of the extras, and just try trusting the pattern all the way through. Good luck!

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PJsmomma View Post
Ok thanks--the 2nd rip out I tried that but then that confused me too.

I had them on the needle and the yarn was in the middle of the row and I couldn't figure out how to go on knitting.

Maybe I should find a different pattern

You can do it! It's really neat to see a pattern like this come together. The yarn in the middle of the row is right. Just turn the work around like you would if all the stitches were done, and start by knitting into the last stitch of the row you just did, just like you do normally. Ignore those stitches that haven't been worked. They won't be worked (I'm assuming) until you finish the first wedge and start the second. There will be more and more of them as you continue through the pattern.

Picture making a triangle by using lots of straight lines. You start with a long line, then put a slightly shorter one on top, and then a slightly shorter one, etc., etc.

x
Xx
XXx
XXXx
XXXXx
XXXXXx

So, if you were knitting this in (roughly) the way this pattern works, you'd do the six stitches at the bottom. (Then you'd knit across, like the odd-numbered rows of the pattern, which brings you back to the left.) Then you'd do the five stitches on the next line up, leaving the sixth stitch of the first line undone, turn, and knit across back to the left. You repeat this all the way up.

When you reach the top, you have a triangle. The part that it's hard to visualize until you've done it is that the lowercase x's are all stitches left on your needle. Those will be the six stitches you'll use to start the next wedge, which works the same way.

Does that make any sense? Considering that I still haven't gone to bed, quite possibly not!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PJsmomma View Post
Thank you. I'm trying it again!

Only thing I'm doing differently than you describe is that it says knit across all odd # rows, so I knit all the way across?
Well, I did mention knitting back across. Are you asking if you're supposed to knit the skipped stitches during those rows? No, when you turn the work the skipped stitches will already be on the right-hand needle. You just knit across the ones on the left. The only time you'll knit the skipped stitches is on row 26, I think it is, the very last row of the wedge.

#12 ·
It looks great! I haven't finished mine (bouncing back and forth among projects
), so I'm not sure about the hole in the center, but the pattern does say, "Sew in ends, and draw up centre of cloth." So I'm thinking maybe a hole is expected, and you're supposed to kind of weave your end in like a drawstring and cinch it tight? Sounds not too different from what you did, right?

Oh, and if you want cheating, you should see the LTK felted crown I just did for ds's birthday. He wanted stripes. I had never done stripes in the round before and, uh, didn't bother looking up how to do it right. I ended up with holes and weird stuff. But I just took the yarn ends and filled the missing stuff in, and then tossed it in the washer. Felting is really great at covering up mistakes and "cheating." The crown looks pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.