Diaper cover felting woes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-16-2003, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made a test swatch for a diaper cover that is not written as a felted pattern but I want to make it felted for a thicker/less pourous fabric.

The swatch-which will be perfect as a soaker under a diaper!- is very unstretchy which could be a problem especially around the waist and legs and the edges which I ribbed are weirdly uneven.

I don't know if I should give up on the felting idea, I worry about what special washing attention the cover will need-never in the machine, etc.

Has anyone knit a cover with natural wool? Were you able to wash it and not felt it? I guess I can think of lots of sweaters I have knit and washed that haven't felted but it seems that the cover will get a lot more washing then a sweater!

Any advice?
Rachel
#2 of 4 Old 07-16-2003, 01:23 PM

I have a ton of natural wool covers that I throw in the washer to lanolize and only a couple have really felted. That was the day i messed up laundry, but they were really thick to start with, so it just didn't matter.
Here is how I do it: I wash them on cold, in the delicate cycle, and lay flat to dry. If this doesn't work for you, I am not responsible, it works for me.
I knit a couple covers with white buffalo yarn, and then they felted in the wash. They only shrunk about 10-20% because of the yarn, and are now super thick. You would have to use a drawstring though, because ribbing just doesn't work with this thickness of yarn.
#3 of 4 Old 07-17-2003, 12:03 AM

No, felted wool isn't stretchy.

I know someone who makes felted wool mittens, but for the cuffs she cuts cuffs off of thrift-shop gloves or mittens (that aren't completely wool) and sews them on. I have also seen a mitten pattern where the mitten was knit quite large in wool and the cuff was made true-to-size in a blend and then the whole mitten was felted -- the mitten part felted and the cuff did not. I think either of these ideas would work for diapers. You could maybe use waistbands or necklines from thrift-shop sweaters.
#4 of 4 Old 07-17-2003, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for both your ideas.
I think I am going to knit a nonfelted cover and see how it holds up.
I love the idea of using old sweater cuffs and waist bands, one could create some funky covers!
Am knitting a great norweigan style sweater for my 2 year old that is hard to put down to knit this cover!
Rachel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page