does anyone else have a 5 million year old sewing machine? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
talk about keeping it in the family. i wouldn't have had it any other way, until someone lost all my small equipment!!

my mom got her first sewing machine from a second hand shop, so it was already pretty old. she got it when she was like ohhh 17 i think? so that was 1950ish? well it was the only thing i REALLY REALLY wanted after she died, and luckily, that was my gift on my birthday! i can't even figure out what brand it is! one label says "vogue stitch" or something like that... on the back it has another label "model 8058" and then another that mentions spiegel in chicago...

does anyone else have an archaeic machine? how on earth do you get parts for it?!

i'm pg right now so i can't lift the frickin thing (it's like a billion pounds)... otherwise i'd just drive it around until i found a sewing shop...

i dunno. i guess i'm just b**ching:
#2 of 13 Old 09-07-2007, 01:08 PM

maybe I shouldn't be talking to a pg lady who is upset... it really will be okay, calm down, don't throw things.... :

your machine is not archaic, my oldest machine was made in 1882... 125 years old you can find parts, just have to look, I have a couple sources but first let's figure out what type of machine you have and what you are needing so I can direct you better.

can you take a couple of pictures of it? a straight on shot as you would be sitting, a shot of the backside and one of the presser foot would be great.

what type of parts are you looking for? feet? motor stuff? internal working?
#3 of 13 Old 09-07-2007, 02:51 PM

Yep, a pic would be a great place to start. There are also places online that you can check out older model machines. I have to admit from the title of your post I thought you would mean a manual treadle machine like the one my gma has and I lust over on a regular basis.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#4 of 13 Old 09-07-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

ok... so it's not THAT old... but it feels like it sometimes! i will take pictures of it today and post them... can i post pictures yet? i'm not sure i have enough posts... the things i'm looking for are just some regular needles and a denim or quilting needle... or is it a foot? those were the biggies that i had when i got the machine, but then they mysteriously disappeared when i had to put it in family storage

thanks for helping, sorry for freaking out, lol! it was just like "AH! sudden frustration!!!! grrrr...."
#5 of 13 Old 09-07-2007, 04:06 PM

The needles for most machines are interchangeable as are many different feet. Depending on the age and type of the machine it might take a trip to a sewing machine store, but probably just a fabric store would work.

As for sharing pictures. I don't think you can insert pictures in Vbulletin, that is how this forum laid out for lack of a better explanation. Easiest way to share pics is to host them at photobucket or something similar and put up a link.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#6 of 13 Old 09-07-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

ah, ok will do, thanks!
#7 of 13 Old 09-08-2007, 02:21 PM

Hmmph, YES I have a machine that's about 30-years-NEW.
The old all metal machines are awesome, rock solid. Sew through anything! Easy to get cheap parts for, on eBay, or at your nearest sewing repair shop.

Take a few pics, I can figure out what machine it is.
#8 of 13 Old 09-08-2007, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

hope this works...

ok it didn't work the first time i did it, maybe it will work this time. these are pics of the front, back and the pedal. if anyone wants to take a stab at it, i'd be forever grateful!

ok i give up on links i'm just going to pm pics to some of you!
#9 of 13 Old 09-08-2007, 11:38 PM

It looks like you have a branded machine there which makes it tougher to research than most.

It appears that Spiegel bought your machine from some Japanese manufacturer and put the "Vogue Stitch" label on it. I have found a similar machine apparently from the same manufacturer under another brand.

Morse brand machine:
http://www.sewusa.com/Machine_Pictures/morse_4400b.jpg
Note the tension dial and the Reverse button and the chrome cover on the bobbin winder.
Morse was an importer that would put their brand on machines from different manufacturers. They still do apparently. So that does not tell us a whole lot about the origin of your machine or where to get parts - Morse machines are still relatively obscure.
#10 of 13 Old 09-09-2007, 12:36 AM

Hey, I'll bet if you can get someone to load that machine into your car for you, you could take it to a sewing machine repair shop and ask someone there to take it out for you. People tend to be very nice to pregnant ladies, especially the ones who appear to be freaking out a little

Just a though...

Good luck getting all your parts. It looks like a good machine--I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get it working.

peace, Beth
#11 of 13 Old 09-09-2007, 03:18 AM

you should be able to find needles anywhere, well any fabric store, just regular old 15x1 size needles, even a store with a craft and sewing section will have them. you may see 130/705 on the package (just another way to say 15x1)... that's the overall size/type

then you will have to figure out what specific type, quilting, sharp, universal, jeans, stretch, ball point

then what diameter you want 70/10, 80/12, 90/14 , the bigger the number the bigger the diameter (10 is thin and 14 is big), so if your sewing something real thin and fine a smaller number is better. (this is opposite of hand sewing needles, thickness decreases as size increases so 12 is thin and 8 is big)

I like Schmetz needles, they are usually a little more money but IMO worth it.

by a quilting foot, I'm thinking you also mean a freemotion or darning foot, there are different styles available and different price ranges your machine looks like a low shank, measure from the thumbscrew down to the needle plate, it should be about 1/2 to 3/4" (instead of about 1" or more for the high shank)

I can't see your thread cutter on the presser bar (the thing that the quilting foot would fit onto) and I can't tell if it may be in the way of some of the types of quilting feet, usually it is a piece that just slides up that bar and can either be turned or wiggled down (they are easier to get off then back on usually requiring a strong hand and a pair of pliers or a screwdriver

for the maker of your machine, can you tip it back and look on the underside, molded into the metal maybe a a couple letters and numbers, possibly a JA or JC with the numbers, it may be on the lip where the machine sets down in the base, what are those? (be careful, looks like your hingepins are busted so don't let it fall all the way backwards. those are the manufactures markings and will give a hint on machine maker

the vogue stitch on the front is just a badge to make the machine have a special eye catching name.

the spiegel, chicago ILL with model number (?is it 752-?0?) is a sticky sticker so most likely added by the spiegel store when the received it from the manufacturer/distributor before they put it on their shelves.

I can't make out the bottom tag that is riveted to the back of the machine, what does it read?

the info on the foot controller is pretty common, having made in Japan on it doesn't mean the machine was made there also, because those were "just parts" that said though, most likely your machine was made in Japan.

I have looked and can not find a picture of a machine with the knob on top, is that a buttonhole function?

I see you have it threaded up, when you open the face plate is there a threading diagram? any other words? Do you know the basics of oiling and delinting the machine?

the neatest thing about your machine is the handwheel and bobbin winder is set up so if you ever wanted to convert it to treadle it would easy!!!!! then you would have a zig-zag machine that was people powered- way cool!!!!
#12 of 13 Old 09-09-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

*catches breath*

wow, i should have mentioned that i don't have a ton of experience with sewing i have no idea what a freemotion or darning foot is, or even looks like, i just remember trying to make some jeans with a regular foot and i screwed it up, and my teacher told me it was because i didn't use the right needle or foot or something..., and then she showed me one and instead of the regular foot, it had an additional piece of plastic on it... my mom had one because i remember when i pulled it out i got so excited, but then i put it in storage for 3 years and when i came back to get my machine the foot and all the needles were gone.

...i will look up everything else and get back to you...

THANKS!!
#13 of 13 Old 09-09-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
It looks like you have a branded machine there which makes it tougher to research than most.

It appears that Spiegel bought your machine from some Japanese manufacturer and put the "Vogue Stitch" label on it. I have found a similar machine apparently from the same manufacturer under another brand.

Morse brand machine:
http://www.sewusa.com/Machine_Pictures/morse_4400b.jpg
Note the tension dial and the Reverse button and the chrome cover on the bobbin winder.
Morse was an importer that would put their brand on machines from different manufacturers. They still do apparently. So that does not tell us a whole lot about the origin of your machine or where to get parts - Morse machines are still relatively obscure.
that looks almost JUST like mine! only more blue ok cool beans. now what? lol!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page