Making Felt Food - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 99 Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for the cupcake tutorial! I am also excited that Joann's has 100% wool. I have been making my food out of some felt that was leftover at my grandmother's house, but I need to buy a couple of colors, and I would prefer to buy the wool. By the way, any one of know of any hot-pink foods besides watermelon and cookie/cupcake icing? Grandma had a lot of hot pink felt. As to why, I really have no idea. I have a very difficult time imagining a scenario in which someone would buy a couple of yards of hot pink felt.

And now off to finish what will be either corn or a banana, depending on how it turns out.
#62 of 99 Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 PM

Some food I made for a school fundraiser. These were actually my 'test' samples, and I'm going to make similar ones for my DS for Christmas.

Eggs and Bacon

Sandwich with tomato, cheese and lettuce

Pizza with removable toppings
I love the toppings, especially the tomato sauce which I enhanced by sewing around in a swirl pattern. But I didn't particularly like my crust. It was kind of difficult to make. I'm going to have to play with that a bit.

I also made DS the cutest little oreo cookie. Haven't taken a good pic of that one though.
#63 of 99 Old 11-01-2007, 01:25 AM

just curious - anyone know if the felt at joann's comes in anything but wool? DD and myself are both allergic to wool : and I really really want to make her a bunch of play food.

bonus if anyone can find no wool no china felt - you'd have my eternal thanks.
#64 of 99 Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl View Post
just curious - anyone know if the felt at joann's comes in anything but wool? DD and myself are both allergic to wool : and I really really want to make her a bunch of play food.

Well, you can just use acrylic felt, is that what you mean? It's certainly a lot cheaper than wool! The food I posted above is made with acrylic. Or were you looking for acrylic felt, not made in China?
#65 of 99 Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl View Post

Kunin Felt's Ecospun acrylic felt is made in the USA out of recycled plastic. Is that what you were asking about? Check out the marketing sheet on Ecospun.

http://www.kuninfelt.com/cfiles/about.cfm
#66 of 99 Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasquirrel View Post
Well, you can just use acrylic felt, is that what you mean? It's certainly a lot cheaper than wool! The food I posted above is made with acrylic. Or were you looking for acrylic felt, not made in China?
acrylic felt - not made in china.
#67 of 99 Old 11-01-2007, 10:11 PM

I just purchased a bunch of different colors of acrylic felt at Joanns and was thrilled to read on the end of each bolt "made in the USA" !!!!!
#68 of 99 Old 11-03-2007, 06:04 PM

Of course now we know that some stuff made in China is not so great-but my kids love the home made toys-just because I made them. I use both acrylic and wool felt. Even without the philosophy of natural materials being better-the wool felt last longer-and is stronger. you can hand wash the felt food-but the wool colors sometimes run so I surface wipe mine.

this pattern makes a cake and strawberries that are 3 dimensional. I found the strawberries super easy. I haven't made the cake yet. I am focusing more on fruits and sandwiches,pancakes etc. stuff he actually eats often.

http://apple-pai.deviantart.com/art/...-cake-54251766

this tutorial is for a donut
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=46368.0

I am making a sandwich set for ds and some strawberries and maybe some other stuff. It gets addicting. We made some cake slices that came out awesome-my 7 yo even made one with my sewing machine. its sort of like sewing a stuffed animal-except its cake shaped.

oh and for a veggie pita you could do lettuce, cucumber, red pepper strips and some onion ring slices.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#69 of 99 Old 11-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnutter View Post
Of course now we know that some stuff made in China is not so great-but my kids love the home made toys-just because I made them. I use both acrylic and wool felt. Even without the philosophy of natural materials being better-the wool felt last longer-and is stronger. you can hand wash the felt food-but the wool colors sometimes run so I surface wipe mine.

this pattern makes a cake and strawberries that are 3 dimensional. I found the strawberries super easy. I haven't made the cake yet. I am focusing more on fruits and sandwiches,pancakes etc. stuff he actually eats often.

http://apple-pai.deviantart.com/art/...-cake-54251766

this tutorial is for a donut
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=46368.0

I am making a sandwich set for ds and some strawberries and maybe some other stuff. It gets addicting. We made some cake slices that came out awesome-my 7 yo even made one with my sewing machine. its sort of like sewing a stuffed animal-except its cake shaped.

oh and for a veggie pita you could do lettuce, cucumber, red pepper strips and some onion ring slices.
Oh, my goodness these are so adorable. Thanks so much for the links.

Last night I was working on breakfast foods. I made an egg, partially finished a pancake, and cut out some pieces for some bacon. As soon as I can get them finished, I was going to take a pic.

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#70 of 99 Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasquirrel View Post
Kunin Felt's Ecospun acrylic felt is made in the USA out of recycled plastic. Is that what you were asking about? Check out the marketing sheet on Ecospun.

http://www.kuninfelt.com/cfiles/about.cfm

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! I wanted something cruelty free and something that was helping the environment!

Jo

Happy Mum, Adored Wife, Loyal Friend, Triangle API Leader, Proud Vegetarian, Peace Loving, !
#71 of 99 Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoannaNC View Post
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! I wanted something cruelty free and something that was helping the environment!

Jo
Me too! How in the world did I miss this before? Thank you so much!

And it looks like this stuff is available at JoAnn's! How very cool.
#72 of 99 Old 12-27-2007, 11:38 AM

That was nice to see that Joann's carries it. Very handy!

Happy Mum, Adored Wife, Loyal Friend, Triangle API Leader, Proud Vegetarian, Peace Loving, !
#73 of 99 Old 12-29-2007, 02:49 AM

Hmmm, I must be losing my mind because I could have sworn that I already posted a reply to this thread but I don't see it...well, I recently made DD some cute play food using a felted wool sweater and wool batting. I also spent waaaay too much time putting together a play food resource with lots of (hopefully) helpful links, patterns, etc. on my blog here There's a picture of the wool spaghetti and meatballs that I made there too.
#74 of 99 Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 AM

You have posted that somewhere -- maybe in the homemade holiday thread?
#75 of 99 Old 01-06-2008, 12:51 AM

i just made my first felt foods! it is as fun and easy as you all said! yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomAndOliver View Post
Thank you for the cupcake tutorial! I am also excited that Joann's has 100% wool. I have been making my food out of some felt that was leftover at my grandmother's house, but I need to buy a couple of colors, and I would prefer to buy the wool. By the way, any one of know of any hot-pink foods besides watermelon and cookie/cupcake icing? Grandma had a lot of hot pink felt. As to why, I really have no idea. I have a very difficult time imagining a scenario in which someone would buy a couple of yards of hot pink felt.
maybe your gramma used it for poodle skirts...anyways i made a felt popsicle (was going to do an ice cream cone but DS is allergic to dairy so he loves popsicles) and you could do that with hot pink....or you could do an ice cream cone....hot pink could also be icing on a donut although that's pretty similar to cookie/cupcake...
#76 of 99 Old 01-06-2008, 11:09 PM

I made the cupcakes from the tutorial the other day! Very cute! I made two pink ones (done) and two chocolate ones (just need to sew up the bottom). I didn't quite like the size of the first one that I did based on her measurements. I made it a bit wider/squatter and it was much better IMO. I think hers says it should be 5" and 5-3/4" or something for the length of the side piece. I made mine 6" on one length and 7" on the other length. Then of course, you have to make the top and bottom circles a bit bigger as well. I think I made my top circle a 3" diameter if I remember correctly.

I hand sewed the first one and I didn't like how you could see my stitches as it pulled. So, I machine sewed the remaining ones and it was much better. I did it in a different order when I used the machine though. You sew the top closed on the cupcake top first. Then, sew the top to the side (takes a little manuevering as you go around the circle). Then sew closed the side. Then, I'm hand-sewing the bottom on with a blanket stitch and 2 threads of embroidery floss. I also used 2 threads of embroidery floss to sew on my beads and that seems more durable to me than when I just used regular 100% polyester (gutterman) thread.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone! They turned out very cute and as soon as I finish the chocolate cupcakes, I'll post a picture.

I made pancakes, bacon, eggs, an oreo cookie, and a carrot for DS for xmas and they have been a hit! I bought 100% and 70/30 wool felt from Weirs Dolls and used wool batting for the stuffing. It really is a lot nicer than the acrylic (but also a lot more $$). I also bought the hen egg sized wooden eggs from Casey's Wood Products and put them in a 6-egg carton, and those are cute too. We pulled out Casey's acorns today, and they loved those too!

I bought the Haba farfalle and DS has really liked that. It is so easy to make though, I'm bummed that I actually bought them instead of making them myself! I might have to make some additional ones using the Haba ones as a pattern.

ETA: I forgot I had already taken pics of the pancakes, bacon, and carrot.

Pancakes and bacon

Carrot
#77 of 99 Old 01-07-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl523 View Post
i just made my first felt foods! it is as fun and easy as you all said! yay!

maybe your gramma used it for poodle skirts...anyways i made a felt popsicle (was going to do an ice cream cone but DS is allergic to dairy so he loves popsicles) and you could do that with hot pink....or you could do an ice cream cone....hot pink could also be icing on a donut although that's pretty similar to cookie/cupcake...

Thanks for the ideas! I have some cookies with pink icing, but ds would probably love an ice cream cone.

My nephew got some of my play food for his birthday today, and word is that he is enjoying it!
#78 of 99 Old 01-10-2008, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After reading all about it in these play food threads, I made DD some stuff to go with her Plan Toys kitchen she got for Christmas.

So far I have made only a few things. Next I am going to try the pizza. I finally have enough colors, and the right color for mozzarella cheese!

Here are some pictures:
http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa147/mom2005z/

I used wool sweaters I found at Goodwill (washed and dried on hot), stuffing was wool sweater scraps (like the cuffs), and I used the blanket stitch with some floss from JoAnns.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#79 of 99 Old 01-12-2008, 08:56 AM

^ The orange slices are my favorite. Lovely work.
#80 of 99 Old 01-14-2008, 02:34 PM

I'd love to switch to the recycled felt!! Any clue where to get it? I am emailing them now but I do not see a list of retailers.
#81 of 99 Old 01-14-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayleesan View Post
I'd love to switch to the recycled felt!! Any clue where to get it? I am emailing them now but I do not see a list of retailers.
This recycled felt? Here.

There's also a pattern for making cute felt baby shoes on the site.
#82 of 99 Old 01-18-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
^ The orange slices are my favorite. Lovely work.
Thanks so much! I made some more this week: mushrooms, a cucumber slice, apple slices, pizza, watermelon slices, whole banana. Here are some more pictures:

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa147/mom2005z/

For the cucumber slice, I took 2 white circles and one green strip long enough to cover the outer edges. The green strip was as wide as the 2 pieces of white were thick. Then I just blanket stitched the circles together, with the green strip ending up inbetween the circles and the stitch. Its not actually stitched down. Man that is hard to explain.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#83 of 99 Old 01-18-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post
Man that is hard to explain.
It made sense, at least!

Cute!! I love the cucumber & mushrooms!!
#84 of 99 Old 01-19-2008, 09:58 PM

for me i dis-like plastic just because, it is pastic. if you can make only not, for those can, do and for those how can not, buy walmart. i take great pride in the toys my mother made me and still have all of them.
#85 of 99 Old 01-20-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothisislove View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread and my hands are literally twitchy with an urge to go buy some felt and make some of those adorable toys for my son....cousins...friends' kids!

But I have a few questions...I'm wondering what are your reasons for being anti-plastic? How do you wash these felt toys....wouldn't they get soaked with drool? (My ds is just 5 mo.) Why is wool felt better than the stuff you can buy at Wal-mart...acrylic?

Based on what I've read briefly here, it sounds like you have a great philosophy. Is there a link you can direct me to? I'd like to be educated! Thanks so much!
i have been watching this site for a while and learning a lot. i would read back there are some great tips that some of the other mommy's have found that will anwer alot of question.
about plactic vs. home made: those how can make, those how can not walmart.
i think also that felt can be washed just like clothes??? but not dryed
good luck
#86 of 99 Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 PM

All so cute!!! Wow!
#87 of 99 Old 01-27-2008, 05:24 PM

I just bought some of the ecospun recycled felt at Walmart for $3.77/yard. It's pretty nice actually. Not wool, but that's not always practical for things.
#88 of 99 Old 02-06-2008, 12:14 AM

Don't have time to read the thread right now but i've always wanted to do this so I'm :

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
#89 of 99 Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 PM

We have an all natural play food swap going right now in the swap boards. Come join us! Most of the stuff is made of wool, so far.

#90 of 99 Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post
We have an all natural play food swap going right now in the swap boards. Come join us! Most of the stuff is made of wool, so far.
Ummm...where are the swap boards?

Tessa, wife to DH and Mama to DD (3/01) and DS1 (HB-VBAC! 9/06) and DS2 (2nd HB-VBAC 10/25/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page