Produce bags? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-15-2007, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a pattern for a produce bag, sort of a long skinny bag with handles on the top to put fruits and veggies in at the market instead of the plastic bags. Also want to make some for bulk bin items like nuts and rice. Also wondering what material to use... cotton? hemp?
#2 of 7 Old 09-15-2007, 04:01 PM

I used cotton for my shopping bags, I was thinking about produce, too, am thinking of going with a light windbraker material (pardon me, I'm having a brainfart and can't think for the of me what that stuff is called, LOL, darn this kid for making me forget everything!)

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#3 of 7 Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 AM

A friend of mine uses the mesh bags for washing lingerie instead of the plastic produce bags.

i still can't remember to bring my cloth bags into the store. : Need to tie a string around my finger or something.
#4 of 7 Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 AM

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/clothbags.html

I've never made these, but always have meant to!

My cup overflows with a wonderful husband and two beautiful daughters and another on the way in April 2012! 

#5 of 7 Old 09-19-2007, 05:06 AM

I've made and used the singlet style shopping bags and oh my are they wonderful! I enlongated my handles and body for a deeper bag and they hold so much!! I can fit 6-7 plastic bags of stuff into 3-4. Not to mentin they're oh so pretty and i get tons of compliments on them

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#6 of 7 Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
I've made and used the singlet style shopping bags and oh my are they wonderful! I enlongated my handles and body for a deeper bag and they hold so much!! I can fit 6-7 plastic bags of stuff into 3-4. Not to mentin they're oh so pretty and i get tons of compliments on them
I might be interested in making some of these at some point. I would love to see what you have done with yours.

Miranda
#7 of 7 Old 09-20-2007, 12:53 AM

I made some produce bags using a light mesh. i didn't use a pattern, just folded the fabric in 2, sewed seams and then a hem on top with an opening for a drawstring. They work great. i made different sizes to accomodate varied quantities.

As for bulk bags,: .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page