help me make THIS (decoupaged table) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pretty please.

I have this bare wood children's table I bought for dd's 2nd birthday in April and I STILL haven't painted it. But I just lucked upon an idea that I need some help with. I want to do something like this, with fabric (or paper) decoupaged onto the table. I also found these instructions. Can anyone help me figure this out step by step? Right now the table is raw, but with crayon marks all over it.

1. Should I sand it and paint it with something first? Just regular paint or stain? or primer? Stain would be nice but I don't know if that would cover the crayon. I also read this thread... would the process be similar or completely different?

2. Would paper or fabric be better? Suggestions on cutting the fabric, layout? Is there a certain weight of fabric or paper that is better? thinner, lighter, heavier, sturdier? I already have some quilting fabrics. Do I have to wash the fabric?

3. Should I take the table apart to do all this?

4. Can you help me make a supplies list? The about.com site has one but is that all I will need?

5. some fabrics I like:
paris
floral
classy
i actually bought this one for a custom mei tai that I haven't had made yet
french words
amy butler fabrics (a quilt pattern or just one fabric design?)
amy butler paper?

If anyone can give advice, I would be so so grateful!!
#2 of 4 Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 PM

1. Should I sand it and paint it with something first? Just regular paint or stain? or primer?
Painting is optional, if you like the look of the wood then you don't need to paint at all. If you do want to paint, then you only need to paint areas that will not be covered with decoupage. If you intend to only decoupage small er areas you might find it easier to just paint everything. I've always used regular craft acrylic paints.

Stain would be nice but I don't know if that would cover the crayon.
You would need to sand off any crayon marks first. It may not be 100% necessary if you will cover the area with decoupage, but I still reccomend it.

I also read this thread... would the process be similar or completely different?
There are some similarities, but pleny of differences too.

2. Would paper or fabric be better? Suggestions on cutting the fabric, layout? Is there a certain weight of fabric or paper that is better? thinner, lighter, heavier, sturdier? I already have some quilting fabrics. Do I have to wash the fabric?
Light wieght is best in general, though you have to be careful that it lies flat. Paper is easier to work with than fabric.

3. Should I take the table apart to do all this?
It deppends on wether or not you want to be able to take the table apart again in the future. I like the seamless finished look that one gets by doing it to the assembled item, and you don't need to worry about covering up peg holes and making it hard to reassemble. However if you do it to the assembled piece it would be very very hard to disassemble in the future if you wanted to.

4. Can you help me make a supplies list? The about.com site has one but is that all I will need?
Sandpaper (if the table needs it, if the table is clean and unfinished skip)
Whatever water based paint or stain you choose. Do not use an oil based one.
Decoupage glue/top coat (I use Royal coat as both th glue and finish)
steelwool (if you want a glossy finish)
paint brushs (they shouldn't be too nice b/c this tends to ruin good brushes)
fabric or paper
scissops or a craft knife (or you can tear paper)
a straight edge
A place for the table to dry (it takes time

5. some fabrics I like:
paris
floral
classy
i actually bought this one for a custom mei tai that I haven't had made yet
french words
amy butler fabrics (a quilt pattern or just one fabric design?)
amy butler paper?
They are all nice. What do your kids want?

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#3 of 4 Old 09-27-2007, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Eepster, thanks so much for the tips!

Right now I'm thinking of painting with an earthy color.... my home is all earthy colors. Thanks for the tip on NOT using oil-based paint, I don't know any different and always just go with whatever the store clerk tells me...lol. Can you tell me how the steel wool thing works? I have no clue what you mean.

I'm still iffy on the fabrics/papers. My dd is 2 and basically likes whatever I like (now) but I think I want something that fits in with our home decor but that makes her smile and would suit any future children we may have. She doesn't have her own room yet so I don't have to match it to her bed (white, in our room). I'll keep on looking. I think I'll know it when I see it... Otherwise, if you say paper is easiest I'll probably try that.

I've loved plum or cherry blossoms since I was pg with her... maybe that's a start. This book might even be cheaper than buying fabric or paper. The illustrations are awesome! or maybe color copies?

Thanks again! I'll post pics when it's done (if it turns out ok, that is)!!
#4 of 4 Old 09-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Oh wow, those tables on Etsy are beautiful! I love the dragon squares fabric she has.

I'll be watching this thread too, I've never decoupaged, but now I really want to!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page