How Much Do you Save Making Your Own? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2007, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just ventured beyond AIO's such as FB and SB's. I'm knitting my first set of longies, very excited, bought some used prefitteds.

Can I really save making my own dipes vs. Buying some used? I'm a novice seamstress, are they difficult? Say, prefitteds?

Just curious.

Gita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 AM

I haven't bought a single dipe -- I've made all fitteds. I don't think they are difficult to make at all, you get really quick after the first few. I also haven't paid much for my stash (less than $20 for 3 doz. newborn/small, 2 doz. Med.), since I've used all recycled fabric -- either stuff around the house, or flannel sheets from thrift stores. The only things I've purchased at a fabric store are elastic, thread and velcro. So, yes, it can be much, much cheaper to make your own... or if you buy fancy fabric, etc... plenty expensive. Just depends on what you want to do, how motivated you are...

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM

If you use clearance flannel you can make 2-3 for $1 plus some elastic and velcro or aplix or touch tape. Its very very cheap. You can make more than that of course but I have a toddler so her butt is big. I get annoyed with mine and the time it takes to make them sometimes though admittedly and I still like ones that others have made. You can DEFINITELY go without all of those though for sure.

I made 3 pairs of newborn soakers out of 2 skeins of Peace Fleece Wool (and I think I had left overs still) plus made half a dozen fitteds out of material I had laying around (some clearance flannel, some t-shirts, etc) so over all it cost me about $15 for 3 wool soakers and 6 fitteds. Not bad considering the alternative - soakers go for atleast $20 each and fitteds at the least are $5 a piece.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM

Even if you made all pocket diapers, let's say size Medium. You can get 6 mediums out of 1 yard of fabric, so you would need roughly 3 yards of each fabric to make 18 diapers. So....
3 yards of PUL is approximately $23,
3 yards of microfleece is approximately $27,
and for the stuffers, you can use auto towels, and a big 36 count pack of those is $13.99 at Costco,
so for 18 that would be $7.
So for 18 pocket AIO diapers (WITH stuffers), it would cost you $57,
or $3.16 a diaper. And that's brand new higher end (not quite bamboo, but not as cheap as flannel either) material. So yes, it's definetely cheaper, plus your end product is brand new, not used by someone who you have no clue what their wash cycle was or how much they took care of their diapers!!!!!!! Obviously, it can be EVEN CHEAPER than the above, but I just listed that since Pocket AIOs are the more popular diapers right now! HTH!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:43 AM

I'd say I spend on average half of what I'd spend buying since I use higher end fabrics usually. but Yes you save a lot
Old 10-06-2007, 04:47 PM

Considering the fact that I ended up with 2 embroidery machines, a serger, tons of fabrics, bamboo velour, an addiction to knitting and yarn.... I should have bought a stash premade.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:46 PM

I made dozens of fitteds for my dd, and doublers, wipes, and breast pads with the scraps. I used new hemp fleece & french terry, organic cotton fleece and velour, bamboo fleece and velour, and some recycyled tee shirts. Including aplix and elastic, my average cost was probably around $4 each. All material bought at co-op prices. Definitely worth it for me, especially to use as much organic fabric, as buying equivalent dipes would have been $$$.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 10-09-2007, 03:41 PM

It depends on how addicted you become to sewing diapers

Seriously, though, it is *much* cheaper to buy a yard of flannel for $1-3 a yard, and most people can cut 6 medium-size diaper bodies from a yard of fabric. That would be 3 pocket fitted diapers. Plus a little elastic and some thread, and you've got a pocket fitted diaper for around $2.00 that you can stuff with anything--PFs, MF towels from the auto department, old washcloths...and you don't have to have H&L or snaps, you can make long wings and fasten with a pin (see the RRP pattern in the second sticky).

And if you re-purpose things around the house (old flannel sheets, t-shirts, towels, etc...see some of the other recent threads for some good suggestions or take a look at the second sticky for some websites), then you can make diapers for only the cost of elastic and thread. But you might get some strange looks from your SO when you start cutting diapers from t-shirts and jeans, and when you go to the store and say "wouldn't this sheet set make an adorable diaper?", you will know you have become addicted...
Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHatBrat View Post
Considering the fact that I ended up with 2 embroidery machines, a serger, tons of fabrics, bamboo velour, an addiction to knitting and yarn.... I should have bought a stash premade.
Yeah, that, except I have one embroidery machine, not two.. but I probably have enough fabric to make stashes for 3 kids in diapers, and I only have one in diapes

Marie- Mom to David- c/s 2/1/03, Andrew VBAC 2/13/06 and Ashee unplanned unassisted homebirth 10/10/09
Old 10-17-2007, 09:25 PM

Using recycled fabrics saves you a TON. I got my elastic and Velcro super cheap on Ebay, but my snap press and new sewing machine did set me back a little. It's totally worth it though, and I do feel that I've saved money. I also have the satisfaction of making diapers that I KNOW will fit well and work well for my son, beacuse he is hard to fit and I escape the headache of searching for the right diaper!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHatBrat View Post
Right there with ya! lol I don't think I've saved much at all!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 PM

I'm in the bunch that should have just bought my diapers, brand new, with embroidery, custom made to save me some money. I've invested ina sewing machine, embroidery machine, serger, a snap press, TONS of organic fabrics, TONS of wool (yarn and interlock) Seriously, I could open a store. BUT it's become my hobby, something I LOVE to do, so it's totally worth it to me. I just like to make them, experimenting with patterns, abfrics, combinations, ect. I've learned a valuable trade (sewing) because of it.
I totally think even if you went with organic fabrics and fancy thread, elastic, and hook and loop, you could save money. If you use recycled materials, you can sew a stash for free. Flats or prefolds with recycled flannel or t-shirts would be free, and for a few dollars for some elastic and aplix you could make fitteds for pretty cheap too. And fabric store fleece makes a great AIO/pocket/soaker/longies/shorties. I double up in the crotch area, and it works wonderfully. HTH
Old 10-21-2007, 07:14 PM

Using recycled fabrics, I can make a diaper for about $1. The same for a wool cover, given that I have to buy the sweater at a resale shop.

But even buying fabric, you will certainly save money - I just recently had to make a nice pile of AIO diapers for DS's preschool days. Using brand-new PUL yardage and flannel on sale from Jo-Anns, I was able to make AIOs for about $5 each. It seems like a lot.....until I did some searching and found that a comparable AIO would cost me $10-$15 MORE per diaper.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:07 PM

I've worked it out to be around $3 a diaper, somewhere around there, just in (new) materials. So yes, you can save a ton, if you have the time, patience, and skill.

And even if you don't have the sewing skills, the learning curve isn't too bad. I started out 4 months pregnant with my first. I bought a $90 Brother sewing machine from Walmart having no idea how to operate it. I somehow got it threaded and figured it out, and now over half of DS's stash is made up of my own cute, cheap, and functional diapers. So if you're a novice already, you can definitely do it!

User Tag List