anyone want to make a hippy dress with me?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2007, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found this pattern and instructions, looks good although I feel a little bit intimidated,,,would love for some motivation and someone to chat with about it...any one want to make one "With" me? :

blessings~~

dust.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 01:53 AM

Oooh. Pretty.

Don't be intimidated by drafting patterns. Its actually very easy. I always traced them out on brown wrapping paper so I could use them multiple times if need be.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:47 AM

Gorgeous dress, but being pregnant and nursing that style just won't work for me right now!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:52 AM

OMG I love it. But I am too scared! I dont think sewing is my sport. I am too much about "instant gratification."

I wish I could be your sewing buddy!
Old 10-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Hi!!

I might make this dress with you. I'm in the middle of a couple of projects, so I'd have to put it off for a little while (unless I can talk my husband into more fabric shopping!).

Looks great! Have you thought about what fabric you would use?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:50 PM

I would love to make this. I'm in the process of moving and have a huge project list, but when I took a look at it again, it looks similar to something I made when preggo. You can always pm with questions. I have pics from drafting a pattern for my last dress and sewing it together.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:07 AM

I'll do it! I've been eyeing that pattern for awhile!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 AM

i can't make the dress right now, on account of being preggo, and having too many other projects in progress, but i saved the site to my favorites. the dress is awesome. maybe i can make one for post-baby at some point. if you decide to make it, i'd love to see a pic.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadecuatro View Post
I'll do it! I've been eyeing that pattern for awhile!
okay,,,this will help motivate me...

i can get started on saturday....we could email maybe?

what type of material do you use to draw your pattern, tissue paper? brown paper?

i've also never done pleats but I'm going to give it a try!

dust.gif
Old 10-12-2007, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitemarehippygirl View Post
i can't make the dress right now, on account of being preggo, and having too many other projects in progress, but i saved the site to my favorites. the dress is awesome. maybe i can make one for post-baby at some point. if you decide to make it, i'd love to see a pic.
love nightmarehippygirl by beck

I really want to make this, it does look so cute, I will post a pic when I get it finished!

dust.gif
Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am going to try this too!

I bought the fabric this weekend. Mine will be modified a bit, because I am preg and plan on wearing it for a very dressy/almost formal meeting we have in Nov. The fabric I bought is a dark red/brown microseude for the top and a heavier suede tan with foil leaves on it for the skirt. I have to do some cleaning in my sewing room today, and plan to start cutting either tonight or tomarrow, depending on how much help I have

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessmcg View Post
I am going to try this too!

I bought the fabric this weekend. Mine will be modified a bit, because I am preg and plan on wearing it for a very dressy/almost formal meeting we have in Nov. The fabric I bought is a dark red/brown microseude for the top and a heavier suede tan with foil leaves on it for the skirt. I have to do some cleaning in my sewing room today, and plan to start cutting either tonight or tomarrow, depending on how much help I have
hi,

i am going to get going on this today also...it was a busy weekend...I have some fabrics i inherited from a former hippie I am going to use and after I have practice I may make another and find my own fabrics,,,,so I need to look at it again,,,you are making a pattern first right? what kind of paper do u use?

blessings~

dust.gif
Old 10-15-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post
hi,

i am going to get going on this today also...it was a busy weekend...I have some fabrics i inherited from a former hippie I am going to use and after I have practice I may make another and find my own fabrics,,,,so I need to look at it again,,,you are making a pattern first right? what kind of paper do u use?

blessings~
Hi, I use freezer paper for my patterns. I keepa big roll with my sewing stuff so I always have some . I had dh help with my measurements last night, so IF I get a clean spot to lay it out and work on it, I will start making the pattern today. My plan is to make the front panel on the skirt a bit wider than all the others so that it fits over my belly and there is not a seam across it.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

I picked out my fabrics and got my measurements.

now, drawing out the bodice pattern seems confusing to me :

going to try...if i feel stuck i might start with a strip skirt since its been a while since I sewed...

dust.gif
Old 10-17-2007, 07:27 PM

I worked on it quite a while yesterday. What I finally did was draw the square that is the front/rib band, then I found a bra with a very similar design (I have a BC Jane plus bra that is VERY similar) and use it to figure where to place the darts and strap. Then I cut a practice one out of flannel that I had laying around and adjusted it to fit they way I wanted, then went back and modified the pattern - clear as mud ?

I have the top cut out and the darts sewn, but I broke a needle in my machine and did not have anymore, so now I am waiting and hopeing that my MIL gave some to my FIL, who hopefully will give it to my dh, who should bring them home to me (they work together and she has the same machine I do and lives in town )

I can take pictures and/or give you the dimensions I used if that would help. I am very large chested, so I also made the rib band wider (6" instead of 4"). But basically take a bra, lay it on the pattern and go from there, if you can, email me if you have more questions (or post here) and I will try to help all I can, I have modified lots of patterns, so hopefully I can help you, it is very confusing if you have never done it before. I had trouble getting the exact right shape thru the armpit, but Think I have it figured out now.

HTH

Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

thx jess,,,i'm glad to know its not just me...

i have zero bras... i was looking at some at goodwill today though seeing if i could cut the cups out of one to put inside the bodice...they all had wire...there are good cups, same as the ones she shows online for $5...i like a little support,,,not sure if i would need em...

so i tried it using a backless top as a guide,,,I then cut it out with muslin to see how it fit and its too narrow so I want to redo it,,,I like her shape better, mine is a scoop neck and it has loops where the straps attach so there isnt much there for the strap part, i would rather some straps but not sure how to do this...i am just happy i have gotten a start on it and am doing some sort of sewing again...

going to work on it again in a few hours when dd is in bed (yay, party time!)

blessings~~

dust.gif
Old 10-31-2007, 01:25 PM

So, how is it going???

I deciede to make a prototype dress first, so as not to screw up all my good fabric . I finished it last week and it turned out really nice (out of velour). The second one went MUCH faster. I finished it last nght and it it looks really good! I have not hemmed it yet, because I need someone to help me, but I will get that soon. I will take pictures when I get some new batteries for my camera.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

you are awesome i got my bodice mock up finished but then i realized i didnt have enough fabric and stopped...i did start sewing cloth produce bags today and maybe i should get back to this dress! i like your prototype idea, i have material i could use....i would love to see pictures to help inspire me!! pics of both!! blessings~~

dust.gif
Old 11-16-2007, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

just wanted to update that i got my bodice and lining cut out and later on i am going to get the straps cut out and get that baby sewn up

so jess, i would love to see your pics and i will post pics of mine when i get it finished! this thread is doing what i intended, helping me stick to making this project!

blessings~

dust.gif
Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

ok, well i'm having fun working on this, my bodice is done, i have all six panels cut out and this is a preview of my dress with the front panels pinned to the bodice,....tomorrow, I sew the panels together

dust.gif
Old 12-10-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

where'd everybody go?

i finished....making one for dd now.

dust.gif
Old 12-10-2007, 01:23 PM

Sorry, I am here, just very prego

I iwll get a picture of my finished dress today, so you can see it. I will try ot get dh to take one when he is home this weekend with me in it. I really like the way it turned out

I can't wait to see one for your dd. I am working on some Olivia dresses out of bamboo velour for my girls for christmas.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

hey jessica~

looking forward to seeing your dress...were you able to see the pic i posted? itss not on flickr any more, i can repost that and a pic of dd's dress, i am ready to sew the bodice on it.

blessings~

dust.gif
Old 12-17-2007, 07:44 PM

Hi, no I did not get to see yours, I would love to, and your dd's too!

Here is mine. The pictures of the dress itself are not great, it does not hang very nicely on a hanger :LOL. And I am hugely preg, so I am not sure I do it justice either.

I will defiantly make this pattern again, it was so easy, and fun.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Great job mama! It looks great!! I love your baby belly!!
Old 12-20-2007, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Jessica~ your dress is pretty! looks very much like mine,,,my neckline wasnt a v neck either.

I will post a pic later...and one of dd's dress, still sewing the panels together, it is very cute

dust.gif
Old 12-30-2007, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
They are both beautiful! And I love that you have shirts under them. I've always wanted a dress like that, but am not a girl who can go bra-less. I think adding a shirt or tank is the answer! Thanks for sharing.

Betsy, mama to Zane 4/12/05 and Cade 3/5/08
Old 12-31-2007, 12:29 PM

Same here zaner'smama!! Great idea and the dresses are sweet!!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Those are really nice, you look wonderful!

User Tag List