kids who are into crafts, sewing, etc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-28-2003, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone got kids into crafts? Sewing? clothing, quilts, dool clothing, pillows, ect?

What about latch-hook rugs?

What are the kids up there out there?

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#2 of 8 Old 07-28-2003, 02:23 AM

Does pushing the presser foot on the sewing machine when I"m sewing count? What about unthreading my serger? :LOL :LOL DS likes to paint, and glue stuff, he made a nifty lady bug, and a man out of a clothes pin But the kiddos are really too little to do much crafty.
#3 of 8 Old 07-28-2003, 09:45 AM

My dd who is almost 10 just started sewing lessons last week! I am so proud of her. I have a friend who can sew anything and she is teaching her. They are working on a dress that will be finished by the end of this week. It is so cool!
DD likes to draw pictures of clothing she makes up in her mind, and she wants to make these clothes for real. I am in awe of this since I can't sew (but I am watching everything she is learning, it is fun!)
#4 of 8 Old 07-29-2003, 02:52 AM

My 7 yr old does TONS of crafty stuff. That's what she does with most of her time. She sews on the machine and by hand. She has made a small quilt for a friends baby when she was 5, all hand sewn. She knits and just learned to crochet in a class. She's been taking these great classes this summer at a craft store -wood burning, making stuff with leather and decorating it with leather punches, a clay class. You name it and she has tried it. My 5 yr old likes this kind of stuff but isn't nearly as into it as my 7 yr old -it's just her "thing" and she is way into it. The only thing that gets a little frustrating for me sometimes is that she likes to do things her way. She's not into following patterns (or recipes when she cooks ) She spends a lot of time cutting fabric and sewing different things, but in a very haphazard way -to me- though not to her. It's been a great learning experience for me -just to let her approach it in her way. I try not to stress about all the fabric she uses (and anything and everything she finds in my sewing drawers). I love watching her creative brain blossom...
#5 of 8 Old 07-29-2003, 04:44 AM

My 10yo does knitting and beading and lots of other stuff. She took knitting lessons last summer and picked it up very easily. (Much better than I did!) It's nice. Instead of sitting down and watching TV, she sits down and knits. She also likes to make bracelets, hair ties, etc. with string and yarn. She went to a camp this summer and learned how to card, spin, and weave wool.
#6 of 8 Old 07-29-2003, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

TRhese kids sound more talented than ME.

totally cool.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#7 of 8 Old 08-01-2003, 11:04 PM

My 6-year-old loves sewing little things out of wool felt, embroidery thread, and wool roving. She has made some gnomes and some ponies and a heart filled with dried lavender.

We make flower fairies together.

She has also been learning to knit. She has about ten rows on a scarf, with lots of missed stitches, and it's taken a while, but it's definitely knitting.

We have a great book called Kids Knitting. There's a verse in there that helps a lot:

Under the fence
Catch the sheep
Back we go
Off we leap
#8 of 8 Old 08-03-2003, 12:49 AM

My 7Yo DS just finished a machine sewing camp at the local bernina dealer. He had a blast and made loads of neat stuff.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page