type of yarn for soakers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-17-2007, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im wondering does the yarn used for soakers HAVE to have any wool in it at all or can i use acrylic, cotton,mixes.

i have some lovely chunky yarn but its 100% acrylic and im unsure if it would make a good soaker for Evangeline i also have cotton mix yarn too

100% wool.wool mix is so expenisve i just cant afford it

kiz
#2 of 18 Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 AM

Well, the reason why wool is used for soakers is because when it's lanolized properly it's really waterproof and it has anti-bacterial properties. You could use another type of yarn but it would not really give you the waterproofness you are looking for in a soaker. OTOH, there are some really inexpensive alternatives like KnitPicks Wool of the Andes. With two skeins (at $1.99 a piece http://www.knitpicks.com/Wool+of+the...YD5420103.html), I can make a large or extra-large soaker. That yarn is soft and durable. There's also Patons Merino yarn and with one skein (at $4.99 a piece http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd24730), I can get a large soaker. Also, there's Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...D=prd2701)yarn for about $9 a skein and you can get a whole slew of soakers from that except that the yarn only comes in the natural color.

Oh . . . I see you don't live in the U.S. . . . can you get any of these yarns where you are?

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#3 of 18 Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 AM

The yarn that is 100% wool is an important factor in a soaker. You can use the other kinds of yarns with the same patterns, but they will simply be shorts or something to put over a diaper for decoration, and not have the same functions as a soaker.
The previous post about Knit Picks is informative. I love their yarns.
#4 of 18 Old 10-17-2007, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

knitpicks looks fab but they dont ship to UK!!! gutted
joann's dont ship to uk either grrr

over here the high wool content wool is expensive or hard to get in shops etc, even ebay is out of my budget
oh well

kiz
#5 of 18 Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 AM

You could try going to a secondhand shop and buying a wool sweater, then unraveling it. Some of them are done so that the strands of wool are pretty short, but you might get lucky.
#6 of 18 Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 AM

hmm. I bet someone here on MDC would send you some cheap, or FFs if you tried around. We like to help out.

I have NO clue how much it would cost to send it over the pond but let me check....

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#7 of 18 Old 10-17-2007, 11:38 AM

Looks like I could send you 8 ounces for about $7.50

Let me see if I can find any cheapo wool on sale.

Even the cheapest wool is going to be better for you than acrylic for a soaker.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#8 of 18 Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 AM

Like the pp said, you need wool if you want any wicking or waterproofness. Otherwise, you'll just have a nice cover.

Have you looked at the shops listed here? One of them may have something within your price range:
http://www.stephthornton.co.uk/knitting/kmailord.htm
#9 of 18 Old 10-17-2007, 02:00 PM

Angel Yarns is having a huge clearance sale right now. THey may have some wool.

Texere has a good selection of wool.

New Lanark has organic wool for under £2.00 per 100g.

also, try knitshop.co.uk , violetgreen.co.uk , or search for British Breeds.

British Blue-faced Leicester is a favorite yarn among soaker knitters, and it's actually easier and cheaper to get in the UK.

You can get good deals on natural colored wools and dye them, too.

Recycling thrift shop sweaters is a good idea, too. I've also heard of people finding nice deal on yarn at boot sales (is that the term?).
#10 of 18 Old 11-01-2007, 11:45 AM

Hello there,

I love natural wool too. I used for one soaker natural baby alpaca knitting yarn from Farm Yarn. Alpaca is great for baby's skin, as its hair is very special, it does not have scalps as the sheep wool as. My little boy likes it.
Yes. Blueface Leicester is nice too and much cheaper, I have tried it too (there is good shop http://home2.btconnect.com/bluefaced/)
But I would like to try Merino, but can't find any ( does anyone know where to get it (in the UK)?)

Question about my soaker. I have tried to get the soaker water proof with lanolin, but it did not seem to work (it was a bit damp). I am new motherso not much experience yet, is this normal to have the soaker a bit damp? I assume that lanolin would make the soaker really water proof?

Anyone can help? thanks a lot
#11 of 18 Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 PM

Ooh, ooh, I know this one! Super-duper soft organic merino can be found from www.jarbon.com: link at top of the page. They get extra eco-points for being spun at a water-powered mill in Devon too. 4 quid per 100g, but it's worth it.
Eileen, I think you're just getting a bit of compression wicking where the moisture isn't able to evaporate, but I'd relanolise as well.

liawbh, you are a bad, naughty, yarn-enabling yarn goddess! HTH did you find New Lanark????? Have you bought from them?

ETA: I actually came to this thread to point out that shipping from HPY is only 6 quid for up to eight skeins, but there doesn't seem to be any point now. Wow. 1.80? Just...sweet, dude (as my knitter daughter would say.)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#12 of 18 Old 11-01-2007, 02:45 PM

Hi Kiz,

I just wanted to point out that some cd'ing mamas have used acryllic due to allergies over the years. You don't have the same waterproof capabilities like wool provides. IE: lanolizing them won't help them be anymore waterproof. Keep in mind with acryllic you have to wash a lot more often as well. Again, its possible to use this if your budget is limited, etc.

What price range are you looking for with wool?
#13 of 18 Old 11-01-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

hi thanks for the info. i have found a lovley wool that is affordable to me now. its twilleys freedom spirit and its only £2.79 for 50g and that gets me 1 soaker for a newborn. i cant afford much more than £3-£4 per 50g ball for soakers at the mo.

Kiz
#14 of 18 Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM

Kiz,

Oh terrific you found something that is affordable!
I hope it works wonderfully for your little one

Happy yarn crafting
#15 of 18 Old 11-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Ooh, ooh, I know this one! Super-duper soft organic merino can be found from www.jarbon.com: link at top of the page. They get extra eco-points for being spun at a water-powered mill in Devon too. 4 quid per 100g, but it's worth it.
Eileen, I think you're just getting a bit of compression wicking where the moisture isn't able to evaporate, but I'd relanolise as well.

liawbh, you are a bad, naughty, yarn-enabling yarn goddess! HTH did you find New Lanark????? Have you bought from them?

ETA: I actually came to this thread to point out that shipping from HPY is only 6 quid for up to eight skeins, but there doesn't seem to be any point now. Wow. 1.80? Just...sweet, dude (as my knitter daughter would say.)
*snort* Why, thank you, dear!
Nah, I think I saw them on someone's blog, and bookmarked it. You should see my Bookmark tab. It's a bit out of control .

I've been trying to do the math to see what it'd run to get some shipped to me.

Oh, my! I just noticed they have donegal silk tweed for £1.00 /50g
#16 of 18 Old 11-01-2007, 05:48 PM

The general rule of thumb I use is about a pound per 100g That makes it about $7 at most for 100g of donegal silk tweed- seems reasonable :chortle. Blooming heck, this stuff is cheaper than Peace Fleece! You know what? I think it might even be cheaper than KNITPICKS!!!!!!
I'm a very happy bunnny tonight. I taught myself to spin with a toddler on my lap, someone I haven't seen in over a year left a message on my blog, I found someone I haven't seen in 5 years on Facebook and you found me phenomenally cheap yarn. Oh, and I'm waiting for pizza to be delivered. Life is good All I need is for MDC to have the pizza smiley and I'm happy...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#17 of 18 Old 11-01-2007, 06:25 PM

And it's Organic too! Oh, good lord, someone hide my CC!
#18 of 18 Old 11-01-2007, 07:18 PM

I think they've only just got their certification through, actually. I know one of the mums on a UK board linked to the yarn warehouse a year or more back, and I looked but didn't buy: well, I think it's the same company.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page