Making a papier mache turtle shell, need some suggestions! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-18-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK,I want to make my ds a turtle costume, and I came up with the idea to make him a "shell" out of papier mache. I was thinking of using a large bowl as the mold to form the papier mache on, but I was wondering if there would be something better to use as a form for a shell? Also, any ideas on how he can wear it? I was thinking of making straps, and he can wear it like a backpack? With some felt or something for the front, over his tummy, so that in front he looks like the bottom of a turtle, make sense? I was going to just get some tights for him, and make little covers for his shoes out of felt to look like little turtle feet, with nails and everything.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it better? I kinda wanted the shell to have a "rim", kwim? My kitchen bowl that would use has no edges, so it would be an "edgeless" turtle shell. : What can I do to make the edge for the shell?

Creative mamas, help me out! :
#2 of 4 Old 10-19-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&IsMama View Post
OK,I want to make my ds a turtle costume, and I came up with the idea to make him a "shell" out of papier mache. I was thinking of using a large bowl as the mold to form the papier mache on, but I was wondering if there would be something better to use as a form for a shell? Also, any ideas on how he can wear it? I was thinking of making straps, and he can wear it like a backpack? With some felt or something for the front, over his tummy, so that in front he looks like the bottom of a turtle, make sense? I was going to just get some tights for him, and make little covers for his shoes out of felt to look like little turtle feet, with nails and everything.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it better? I kinda wanted the shell to have a "rim", kwim? My kitchen bowl that would use has no edges, so it would be an "edgeless" turtle shell. : What can I do to make the edge for the shell?

Creative mamas, help me out! :
Well, for the rim you could roll up dry newspaper and tape it to the bowl and mache over it.I think the backpack idea is good.You can hot glue the straps to the shell.You might also want to do some straps that would tie around his waist so it doesn't flap all over the place.

Or you could use fleece and really make it like a turtle shell.You could cut out a piece of fleece to fit over his front side and make it big enough to reach the turtle shell.You could use sticky velcro to attach the shell and the front.

Or you could just attach the shell to a sweat shirt and maybe sew on some fleece for a textured belly.

#3 of 4 Old 10-20-2007, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Or you could use fleece and really make it like a turtle shell.You could cut out a piece of fleece to fit over his front side and make it big enough to reach the turtle shell.You could use sticky velcro to attach the shell and the front.
Ooh! I like that idea! Once the shell is on, I could just stick the fleece "tummy" on with velcro strips. Thanks! : I was thinking of doing something like that w/felt, but fleece would be more comfy, I think.
#4 of 4 Old 10-20-2007, 10:40 AM

I love a good costume challenge.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page