have you made an anatomically correct waldorf doll? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am making a chocolate waldorf boy doll for my 3 yr old who insiste he needs the uhum..."correct parts and a butt" i know, what is wrong with my kid!) has anyone done this? and how the heck do i do it?? i think i know how to do the butt, as i remember my mom's work on a cabbage patch doll...but the other part!!??? well, i need some help i won't even begin to tell you what my dd wants for her doll...let's just say it includes velcro and a baby and the doll will be preggers at some point and the baby needs to breastfeed!:
#2 of 35 Old 10-19-2007, 12:23 PM

Well,I've never made one but I have a soft boy doll that I will be giving as a gift.I could take a picture of his "stuff" if you want.

#3 of 35 Old 10-19-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

how embarrassing...would you mind...i quess it shouldn't be that hard to make right?
#4 of 35 Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Banned

My mom gave my brother a baby boy doll when he was really little (this would have been about 1981), and he loved it. He named him Scott right away. Immediately he stripped all the clothes off, and got a horrified expression on his face. He brought the doll to my mom and asked her "Mama! What happened to Scott's penis? Fix it!"

So my mother made little pink cloth genitals for Scott. And my brother was content. It's not weird that your son should want his erzatz baby to have all the same parts he percieves that he has.

It was a little sausage shape sewn to a little pillow shape, with just enough stuffing to make it fluff up, since baby genitals are little most of the time. Obvoiusly, there is no special sculpting necessary for soft-sculpture uncirced baby genitals.

For the nursing mommy doll, I've seen snap fasteners used for making the nipples (male side) and baby's mouth (female side). One example I saw had the snap edges carefully embroidered over with pink floss so it was not obviously a snap.

I'm not sure how I'd handle the belly, though! I design and make dolls, so I'd have lots of ideas. Velcro is good. Maybe an incomplete ring of loop on the body, open at the bottom just enough for the baby doll, with a seperate belly that hooks in place. Maybe, if you are doing female genitals, have the belly end partway down the vulva and that way baby comes out of the vulva... Or something.

Maura
#5 of 35 Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

so i finished his doll...his legs are waaaay tooooo skinny and his penis turned out pretty well...i just put it down between his legs and was corrected when i gave it to my delighted little one!! so, i'll be fixing his legs and penis at some point! he then pee'd all over the house!! my son LOVES it! he doesn't like dolls that aren't "correct"! the velcro was my childs answer for keeping the vagina shut so the doll could then deliver her baby...a rather popular game around here! i was thinking of maybe painting the snaps?? my pervy waldorf dolls...or is it my kids?? maura i want to see some pic's of your dolls!
#6 of 35 Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 AM

I think it's great that your DS feels so comfortable asking you change his doll to look real. I also feel that if more kids saw that their body's are normal, then maybe they would be happier in their own bodies.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#7 of 35 Old 10-20-2007, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good for you for making an anatomically-correct boy doll!

My mom did this, too, when we were kids. But she didn't have the chuzpah to follow through with letting my brother play with it! : It was during the original Cabbage Patch Kids craze and she sewed a doll for each of her kids for Christmas. My brother hadn't asked for "parts" since the doll was a surprise, but she put them on (a little "sausage" of soft-sculpture fabric as described above and little testicles). We girls with our three female dolls (strangely devoid of any genitalia) teased my little brother mercilessly. The doll vanished.

I always thought it was kinda' sad that she didn't set us straight on the matter.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#8 of 35 Old 10-20-2007, 09:13 AM

Lets face it .... sounds normal to me... I think most kids check what the doll is packin!...lol... Normally you noddingly approve when you peak and find a cute little butt... but I am sure any kid would be surprised and happy to find a doll similiar to themselves.
I have plans to add butts and belly buttons to all the dolls I am givng for Christmas... but (being they are all girls) i don't see what would be too hard with adding a little more detail.
Thanks for the idea..
p.s... the birthing doll idea is big at our house too!
Tricia

momma to 7
:
#9 of 35 Old 10-20-2007, 10:53 AM

Well, I'm sorry I didn't get the picture to you before you finished(I was having a hard time getting a clear close up) but I'm glad you worked it out.

#10 of 35 Old 10-20-2007, 10:58 AM

I worked in a home-based Waldorf preschool for a few years, and I do believe that the idea behind the dolls is that "less is more"..... like, they do not have facial expressions, for example..... and like the painting and the woodblocks and things of that nature are completely open-ended playthings to be molded by the imagination. So if the doll is detailed with anatomy and whatnot, I don't think I would label it a Waldorf doll any longer. But that's just me.
#11 of 35 Old 10-20-2007, 11:08 AM

Maybe this site will give you a few ideas.
http://www.amamantafamily.com/detail...rect_dolls.htm
#12 of 35 Old 10-20-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candiland View Post
I worked in a home-based Waldorf preschool for a few years, and I do believe that the idea behind the dolls is that "less is more"..... like, they do not have facial expressions, for example..... and like the painting and the woodblocks and things of that nature are completely open-ended playthings to be molded by the imagination. So if the doll is detailed with anatomy and whatnot, I don't think I would label it a Waldorf doll any longer. But that's just me.
Hmmmm?I find this a bit confusing.It doesn't seem too much less open ended to have a penis than to have long brown hair(or whatever physical characteristics the doll maker chooses for a doll)and a flowing fairy dress(or whatever clothes the doll maker chooses for a doll)or even arms and legs for that matter.So unless kids are just given colorless blobs there is some sort of limits on all toys.Just where is the open ended Waldorf line?

But I guess the OP is probably more interested in making a doll that her son wants to play with than figure out for me when the doll is no longer a Waldorf doll.

#13 of 35 Old 10-20-2007, 11:20 AM

good points.
#14 of 35 Old 10-20-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

i think he is a waldorf doll and the reason i do is because of the way he was made. he looks like a waldorf doll with no expression just simple embroidery where his eyes and mouth should be and a little bead uner his skin for the impression of a nose. he is made with organic cotton and stuffed with wool in the traditional waldorf way. the only thing that is different is the "sausage"......he can imagine the meatballs...so now it's open-ended!

btw,those dolls are too funny! i couldn't stop laughing! that is exactly what dd wants!

i remember the cabbage patch faze! it was like '85 for me and christmas and i got this cabbage patch doll that my mom made! i loved and treasured that doll!
#15 of 35 Old 10-20-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
......he can imagine the meatballs...so now it's open-ended!

#16 of 35 Old 10-20-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
:
#17 of 35 Old 10-21-2007, 03:25 PM

can someone please post a picture of a male doll Waldorf doll with a penis, or you can pm me if you wish. I really am not grasping how to do this and need to add one to my sons doll. Thanks!
#18 of 35 Old 10-21-2007, 06:07 PM

Just out of curiosity...
Please
Post the penis.
I think it is safe to say we all want to look.
Thanks,

momma to 7
:
#19 of 35 Old 10-21-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triciabn View Post
Just out of curiosity...
Please
Post the penis.
I think it is safe to say we all want to look.
Thanks,
i can't get it away from him right now or he'll wonder what i'm doing i can't tell him i'm taking picture of his doll's penis for other people to see now can i? i'm probably gonna have to wait until tom. afternoon to do it when he is having downtime...he's been lugging the ugly thing around all day! i really am a horrid doll maker! his face turned out okay...but the waist down is iffy...you'll see....
#20 of 35 Old 10-21-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
btw,those dolls are too funny! i couldn't stop laughing!
Okay, those are pretty funny but does anyone else think they look a bit creepy : ? There has to be a way to make them look a bit more 'natural' no (reference paste-on spherical breasts)?

Btw, I do love that they are multi-cultural.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#21 of 35 Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
Okay, those are pretty funny but does anyone else think they look a bit creepy : ? There has to be a way to make them look a bit more 'natural' no (reference paste-on spherical breasts)?

my thoughts exactly
#22 of 35 Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post

And that you can buy most of them individually so you can put together a family like your own...whatever that is.

They are a tad strange looking though... even in the face. I think they're great though.

#23 of 35 Old 10-25-2007, 12:58 AM

my ds is waiting oh so impatiently for me to give his doll a pee pee but the roll of fabric i attached did not suffice. maybe because he watched me struggle to make it. :so when are we going to see the pics of the waldorf doll penis?
#24 of 35 Old 10-26-2007, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=boogalu33;9534455} when are we going to see the pics of the waldorf doll penis?[/QUOTE]

my son has been sick and wouldn't let go of it! sorry! here they are...

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...oupperbody.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...m/dotohead.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...smanliness.jpg

nice sewing 'eh?
#25 of 35 Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 PM

WOW!No self esteem issues for that guy,huh?I guess if you're going to make one you might as well "go for the gold"but WOW.

#26 of 35 Old 10-26-2007, 03:26 PM

I don't think I will make one quite that large , but thanks for sharing I think I understand how to do it now!
#27 of 35 Old 10-26-2007, 04:42 PM

Gosh, my dh would like one of those!
#28 of 35 Old 10-26-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
WOW!No self esteem issues for that guy,huh?I guess if you're going to make one you might as well "go for the gold"but WOW.
#29 of 35 Old 10-26-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

i don't see what the big deal is...i just modeled him after my dh!! lol
#30 of 35 Old 10-26-2007, 09:36 PM

Whoa!
That is one well hung cloth doll.....
I am sure all the other dolls in the house are very embarrased over their own shortcomings.
Bravo momma,
Tricia

momma to 7
:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page