Dipe sewing...who has used their overcasting stitch... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-31-2003, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

Just started sewing some of my own cloth diapers and was wondering if any of you more experienced seamstresses have tried using the overcasting stitch on your machines instead of a serger?

I tried this last night on a doubler that I didn't want to turn and topstitch. I got my stitches as close together as the machine allowed, with as wide a zigzag as possible. Also turned down the tension a bit. I got a decent edge, but do you think it will fray a lot in the wash? I have my doubler in there right now to see how it will turn out.

I used 100% poly thread...would using something like wooly nylon work or would that gum up my machine?

I really want a serger but I'm not yet willing to pay $$ for it, especially since DH just got me this machine for Christmas!

Morgan
#2 of 5 Old 07-31-2003, 10:56 PM

I asked this question on my sewing message boards when I first found my overcasting foot. I figured, why bother with a serger? They said it can work but just won't look as good. I think it will be ok for doublers - you don't need them to be pretty - heck they could even fray a teensy bit and it won't matter. It won't make the nice finished look that you get with a 4 thread serging - since you're only using 2 threads, but if it works for you - why not???
#3 of 5 Old 08-01-2003, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If your stitches are pretty close together, you won't get much more fraying than you would with a serger (it's a myth that nothing frays if it's been serged) The only trouble with doing it this way is that the stitches make the edge curl, but if you have a good overedge foot you shouldn't have much trouble with that at all Just cut your edges as smoothly as you can, since you won't have the blade to trim them, and go slowly for the nicest quality of stitches.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#4 of 5 Old 08-04-2003, 02:21 PM

I really don't know much about the stitch you are talking about (haven't been sewing long )- but I actually purchased a serger since my machine is 18 years old and doesn't have the capacity for that many stitches. Just FYI there is one listed for sale- good luck and I hope that stitch works out for you!

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ighlight=wipes
#5 of 5 Old 09-26-2003, 09:58 PM

Ok, I could have sworn I hit 'new topic'. :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page