Playsilks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-29-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
kwg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
these are probably really dumb questions :

I want to get ds some playsilks but they seem a bit expensive. Has anyone dyed their own? i looked at dharma and there are a bunch of different kinds of silk scarves, does it matter which type you get? how did you dye them? did they go over as well as the ones you buy already made? how many did you start w/ ?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 PM

For the ones I make I use the 36x36" 8mm habatoi(china silk) and the procion mx dyes sold at Dharma as their "Fiber Reactive Dye". You can aslo use food grade dye i.e. kool-aid, wilton dyes(used for frosting) b/c it is technically an acid dye wh/ work on silk. Anyways...I am sure I am getting ahead of you:

I prefer the fiber reactive dyes for a couple of reasons. They are very easy to use. Ounce for ounce they are cheaper than koolaid(though I probably do more dyeing than you will be). Brighter and way more colorfast.

As far as how much stuff you need to get it depends on how much you want to make. When I started dyeing I jumped in full throttle and bought tons of supplies.

The forum link in my siggie is a great place to go to get some good info and ideas on dyeing in general(not just silk) Another resource is pburch.net.

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#3 of 4 Old 10-30-2007, 06:11 PM

I used 30x30 Habatoi silk scarves from Dharma for mine, and dyed them with kool-aid. It was painfully easy. I used 3-4 packets of plain old kool-aid per scarf, 1c. white vinegar and water. Dissolved the dye, dumped in the silk, and waited for it to set... the silk actually sucks up the color, so you can see the water getting clearer and clearer as it goes. When they were done, I took 'em out and rinsed them off, and then hung them to dry. They got a quick press with the iron, and were finished. I did 12 in a couple hours.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#4 of 4 Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
kwg

thank you both so much! sounds like *maybe* even i can do this

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page