Need yarn recommendation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

My sister has requested that I crochet her girls some pilot caps (you know,the kind that have ear flaps and that tie under the chin?) for Christmas. She'd like them to be soft and stretchy. Any recommendations for a yarn that fits that criteria and that also won't break the bank? Thanks!

A happy woman
#2 of 6 Old 10-31-2007, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

bump

A happy woman
#3 of 6 Old 10-31-2007, 01:31 AM

You can't beat Malabrigo for softness. At $10ish a skein it's not too expensive, either. If you want less expensive, Patons classic merino is good or a blend like woolease or encore.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#4 of 6 Old 10-31-2007, 03:32 PM

What do you consider in $ to break the bank? What sizing also will you be making as well? Are you looking for matching hats or different colors, etc? To me BFL comes to mind in utter softness
#5 of 6 Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

mamaofthreeboys, the sizing will be for a 3 year old and a currently 8 month old. I'm looking to do something in pinks and browns to match their winter coats; if both hats match that's fine - will probably be cute! What is BFL?

zoebugsmom, thanks for your suggestions - I can definately afford $10 per skein. I'm familiar with Patons and like it, and will check out the Malabrigo you suggested - sounds nice!!

A happy woman
#6 of 6 Old 11-01-2007, 02:59 PM

Oh pink and brown will be darling. That is one of my favorite color combinations lol. Sorry BFL is Blue Face Leicester yarn soft yarn with wonderful stitch definition the whole shabang in my book lol. I've heard malabrigo is great (soft) as well. You'll probably need more than 2 skeins though I would guess.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page