Good materials for diapers/soakers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-04-2003, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been making diapers for my dd, but she soaks them through in about an hour. I've been using using m.m fleece (200 ct.) on the outside, 1 layer of terry on the inside and 1 layer of flannel, and flannel on the inside. I was hoping that the fleece would act as a waterproof layer, but that didn't work so I am also using a diaper cover. I have heard that hemp fleece is really absorbant, and not as thick as other materials. Has anyone used this? Any suggestions for more absorbant diapers would be helpful. I don't want the diaper to be too thick. I want it to be somewhat fashionable and comfortable for my dd. Thanks!

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#2 of 7 Old 08-04-2003, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

I've been making diapers for my dd, but she soaks them through in about an hour. I've been using using m.m fleece (200 ct.) on the outside, 1 layer of terry on the inside and 1 layer of flannel, and flannel on the inside. I was hoping that the fleece would act as a waterproof layer, but that didn't work so I am also using a diaper cover. I have heard that hemp fleece is really absorbant, and not as thick as other materials. Has anyone used this? Any suggestions for more absorbant diapers would be helpful. I don't want the diaper to be too thick. I want it to be somewhat fashionable and comfortable for my dd. Thanks!

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#3 of 7 Old 08-04-2003, 12:23 AM

Hemp fleece is great But only 2 layers in a soaker (your terry/flannel combo) and then topped with flannel really isn't going to be effective. My dd is a very light wetter and she could soak that in 15 min. :LOL When I made my soakers I put 2 layers of hemp fleece, and then a 2 layer doubler(hemp fleece) topped with microfleece. It's pretty trim and very absorbant.
#4 of 7 Old 08-04-2003, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Where can you get microfleece? I've found many places online with regular fleece and hemp fleece, but I can't find microfleece. And what do you use on the outside of the diaper? Does m.m. fleece work at all.

#5 of 7 Old 08-04-2003, 12:27 AM

MM fleece is the best But if you use 200wt you probably need 2 layers or at least one of 200 and one of micro, then the soaker. You can get micro on their site
http://www.maldenmillsstore.com/gosh...81217423741027

You can also get 200 and 300 wt. Check out their specials for the best prices
#6 of 7 Old 08-04-2003, 01:04 AM

You might need to make a two layer cover with the 200wt - that will be more waterproof and less prone to compression wicking.

As for the interior - micro is great - but you can work with what you have. Just add more layers.

Try www.diapersewing.com for some GREAT pictorals and tips/directions
#7 of 7 Old 08-04-2003, 01:52 AM

Whoa-you need more layers I'm afraid-it sounds like you're just using 1 layer of terry and 2 layers of flannel and that's not nearly enough. I may have misunderstood though. You can still use 1 layer of terry and 1 of flannel for your diaper shell but your soaker should be at least another 4 layers of flannel (if it's the super flannel or heavier, otherwise the thinner stuf won't cut it) and another 2 layers of terry. The terry has a tendancy to get stiff over time if used in the middle and can't get washed and "beaten" well so detached terry soakers are good. I have a flannel diaper that is 2 layers terry in a detached soaker and 8 layers of flannel and while this sounds like it would be huge, it really isn't since 6 of the layers of flannel are cut down just for the soaker.
Yes, hemp cotton is the most absorbant material for diapers. But you'd still want about 4 layers of it in a diaper soaker. Again, so they get clean and dry faster it's good to put 2 or 3 layers in the soaker of the diaper and another 2 layer detached soaker. This is very absorbant. It's mostly what I use.
You can always just get 3 layers hemp cotton fleece doublers to go in what you have and that may work great for you too.
I know so many layers may sound like it would be bulky but it isn't always-it just depends on how trim you cut it and the design of the diaper.
Check out Jessica at www.diapershop.com She has lots of great diaper making info, material advice, and more and a free pattern too!
Good luck,
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page