Buying fabric - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi there-I'm new to cloth diapering, and I've decided to sew my own to save $$$. I've made 3 AIO from the diaperkits.com website, and they turned out fairly well-2 out of 3 are usable!
I wanted to buy fabric to make about 10-15 more from scratch, but I'm kind of stumped as to how much material to buy. I'm using PUL and 100% cotton flannel. I also need to buy the elastic and touchtape. could anyone give me any guidelines as to how much to buy? I dont want to get too much because I can't really afford it, but I also don't want to get too little and have to pay for shipping twice (I can't find PUL in any of my local fabric stores). I would also like to have enoug PUL to make a wetbag.
Oh, and I"m making size 3 (to fit my 7 month old who is 18lb, 28"-but I"m making them the next size up so they will fit longer). Thank you in advance, and I look forward to getting to know all of you cloth diapering mamas!
Ashley

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can always find flannel sheets and blankets at local thrift stores - then you're only ordering the PUL online (and paying shipping). If you check the stickies at the top of this forum you might find some free patterns with yardage listed.

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:33 PM

I made a whole stash of dipes, for my babies from used flannel receiving blankets! (made the inner soaker out of terry baby towels!)
Old 11-06-2007, 01:17 AM

Just about any fabric store, including the fabric dept. of Wal mart sells flannel, so if you want to go with brand spanking new flannel you can go local and not pay shipping. Depending on your pattern you can probably get 6 diaper outers out of ea. yard of 60" PUL. Since you want to make a wetbag also, 3 yards should be enough.

User Tag List