Ideas for an Advent calendar? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really want the Kathe Kruse advent elf, but I won't spend $100 (or even $50 after Christmas.) Does anyone have ideas for an advent calendar I could make? I can sew. My sister suggested an advent paper chain with a different Christmas-y thing to do on each link. I love this idea, but I might want to do little gifts, too. By the way, the Kathe Kruse elf is an elf-shaped wall hanging with pockets for each day. It looks like it would be a pita to make
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 11-07-2007, 05:20 PM

nak
one idea is to do a row of stockings, like here:

Soule Mama, Uncommon Grace

you could also make a simple wall hanging w/ pockets, similar to Pottery Barn's Thanksgiving calendar

or a stocking w/ pockets, ala Pottery Barn again

If you google make your own advent calendar, there's quite a few ideas that come up.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#3 of 26 Old 11-07-2007, 05:23 PM

My mom made an advent garland for my kids - she dyed 24 little knitted socks red, embroidered numbers on each one, sewed on a few festive buttons and holiday decorations (bells at the toe, etc), and we hang them on a long wide red ribbon across a wide window. I stuff each with a small treat, a small ornament, notes, etc - and a little bit of holly or greens sticking out of each one.
#4 of 26 Old 11-07-2007, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLovinMama View Post
My mom made an advent garland for my kids - she dyed 24 little knitted socks red, embroidered numbers on each one, sewed on a few festive buttons and holiday decorations (bells at the toe, etc), and we hang them on a long wide red ribbon across a wide window. I stuff each with a small treat, a small ornament, notes, etc - and a little bit of holly or greens sticking out of each one.

What am amazing thing to do with left over, lost socks!! I LOVE THIS!! going to share with moms group!!
#5 of 26 Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I love the string of socks idea.

Ours is 24 little felt socks sewn on to a wall hanging. The background fabric is decorated too though I can;t remeber how. It was mine as a child and my parents passed it on last year for DD and DS.
#6 of 26 Old 11-08-2007, 12:51 PM

Hi everyone, I just wanted to mention that I will be doing a post next week about the advent calendar with lots, and lots, and lots of ideas for gifts to put in it. I'm going to try to have it ready for Monday.

xo

Grace
mama to DD (4/10/02), DS (3/12/06), DD (2/26/09)
#7 of 26 Old 11-09-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaoriana View Post
Hi everyone, I just wanted to mention that I will be doing a post next week about the advent calendar with lots, and lots, and lots of ideas for gifts to put in it. I'm going to try to have it ready for Monday.xo
Ooh, can't wait!
I am cutting mine now, so I'll be looking for things to put in it soon. Thanks everyone!
#8 of 26 Old 11-09-2007, 06:55 PM

subbing for ideas

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#9 of 26 Old 11-12-2007, 10:48 AM

Does anyone have a design for stockings?
#10 of 26 Old 11-12-2007, 03:17 PM

I posted on my blog today about the advent calendar. On Wednesday, I'll add another post about all the little gifties you can put inside, and on Friday I'll post about the tradition of the advent wreath. I hope it helps!

Grace
mama to DD (4/10/02), DS (3/12/06), DD (2/26/09)
#11 of 26 Old 11-13-2007, 01:20 AM

We have an advent calendar I made. It's a large piece of cream felt (about 24 x 30 inches) and I sewed a green felt Christmas tree onto it. Each day we attach a felt ornament to the tree. The ornaments have little pockets in them and in there are notes about how we will celebrate each day. Some are easy - read an extra seasonal story at bedtime, have a "Christmas bath", make hot chocolate w candy cane stirers (sp?) Others are more elaborate - make our gingerbread house, see a seasonal concert, make cards etc.

hth
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#12 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2063

Not sure if the above is anything like the elf you were talking about but...
If you already have any clothed dolls around just sew pockets on their clothes or even find some newborn clothes in Xmas colors... even better just stitch witch or hot glue the pockets on. Or use a pair of dolls or more so the pockets are big enough to hold what you like.

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2064 sewing pockets on an apron to put on the doll(s) would be even easier!
#13 of 26 Old 11-25-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleen95 View Post
I really want the Kathe Kruse advent elf, but I won't spend $100 (or even $50 after Christmas.) Does anyone have ideas for an advent calendar I could make? I can sew. My sister suggested an advent paper chain with a different Christmas-y thing to do on each link. I love this idea, but I might want to do little gifts, too. By the way, the Kathe Kruse elf is an elf-shaped wall hanging with pockets for each day. It looks like it would be a pita to make
I loved the Advent elf too, I am trying to reproduce it myself because I don't want to pay that price. I'll post a picture if I come close to the cuteness of the kathy kruse elf.
#14 of 26 Old 11-25-2007, 05:33 PM

What about using small boxes? We got some little gift boxes and glued them into rows, decreasing each row by one box and centering them until we got a Christmas Tree Shape. I painted the whole thing green, and then painted the numbers of the days on each box. We put little chocolates in each box with a thought for advent and empty one out each day.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#15 of 26 Old 11-26-2007, 11:43 AM

I thought this one is pretty cool and this one too.

They're a little different from the other ones but I still like them.
#16 of 26 Old 11-26-2007, 12:13 PM

I am absolutely loving these Advent Boxes . If you look around her blog, there are examples of ones she made and ones made by others (the original idea came from Martha Stewart, I believe).

I bought my boxes last week and can't wait to decide how I want to decorate them!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#17 of 26 Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 AM

One of my favorite holiday crafts! We've done a bunch.

This year I ordered a pack of 6x6" Christmas scrapbook papers, and we used 25 of them to fold into origami envelopes. We strung those on a string and hung them as a garland from one of our fireplace mantles. The "goodies" inside are a collection of little things, everything from an idea for an activity we'll do together that day (like the day that the town does free train rides and Christmas carolling around town, or the library's tree lighting party, or a service project we have scheduled), to a couple of stickers, to instructions for where to hunt and find a hidden Christmas book to read together, to a pretty gift tag where I've written down something that we can all be thankful for and pray about that morning.

As another one this year, I ordered blank match boxes from Oriental Trading Co. (they call them craft boxes), and covered them in some of the other scrapbook papers, so we have 25 tiny decorated boxes. I'm finishing gathering together a collection of mini treats to tuck inside the boxes (again, very inexpensive and simple -- two beads that we'll use to make necklaces that day, two jellybeans, two stickers), and I have a dozen different ideas about ways to display them. I looked around the web for inspiration and found LOTS -- some different types of matchbox advent projects are here:
http://kiddley.com/2006/11/22/fill-y...ith-activities
http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jsp?sto...8229594673.xml
http://lostbuttonstudio.blogspot.com...-calendar.html
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...RD&rsc=related
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44135464@N00/2051313219
http://flickr.com/photos/10806782@N08/1368216154/
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...sc=also_try_p7

I also used the pattern on this website to make some embroidered felt envelopes last year. I may string these across another one of our fireplace mantles, or we might chop down a teeny-tiny sapling from our backyard and make a miniature Christmas tree display to hang the envelopes from. Or ooh, maybe the "thing" can be finding each day's envelope on the tree and moving it to the garland.
http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts.../now_what.html

It's not too late, if you want to do something with your little ones! The envelopes can be folded in a couple of hours, tops, and you can look at your town's schedule of community festivities, brainstorm some indoor craft projects, or write down particular books you'll read that day. LOs love the surprise of opening something up and the anticipation of counting the days; they don't need "stuff" inside.

If nothing else, make a paper chain to count down to the holidays. We've done a multi-holiday one -- inspired by this blog post:
http://dawnathome.typepad.com/by_sun...rchain-wi.html -- incorporating Christmas, our new baby's due date, January crafts, Valentine's Day, and family birthdays. Simply taking off a chain is its own reward at this age!

Tending a garden of little ones. stillheart.gif
#18 of 26 Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 AM

This thread is just what I needed! I am inspired
#19 of 26 Old 11-28-2007, 02:45 AM

Southern Living had a cute idea, get little metal buckets and number them with a little goodie in it and hnag them on the tree to find.

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#20 of 26 Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great ideas, mamas! I decided to do a wall hanging with pockets, and naturally it is taking a lot longer than I'd planned. I'll post pics when it's done. Love to see more ideas for things to tuck in the pockets, especially natural/waldorfy things/not purchased things.
#21 of 26 Old 11-30-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyslipper View Post
I loved the Advent elf too, I am trying to reproduce it myself because I don't want to pay that price. I'll post a picture if I come close to the cuteness of the kathy kruse elf.
I am almost finished with the advent elfdoll inspired by the kathy kruse advent elf. I just need to put numbers on it. My niece loves pink so it has alot of pink in it. Here is the picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/missrub...7602883875249/
#22 of 26 Old 12-03-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtake View Post
What am amazing thing to do with left over, lost socks!! I LOVE THIS!! going to share with moms group!!
I may do this tomorrow!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#23 of 26 Old 12-03-2007, 08:13 PM

i made this advent elf last year. ladyslipper- i love how you went original with yours. i more or less copied the picture in Magic Cabin exactly. If you have made a Waldorf style doll before, it actally is not that hard. I made the head and body, being more precise with teh head than the body, because the body was covered up in clothes. i went to Goodwill to get red/green clothes of different fabrics. i ended up only having room for 12 pockets, which i did not #. That was the hardest part. this year i have 2 kids who need little gifts, and the pockets are not big. we only do starting from 12 days before christmas; i have to fit 2 little things in each pocket, so i do mostly small treats, stickers, etc... i would post a pic, but my computer is dead where the photos are.

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#24 of 26 Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 AM

Thanks again for all of the wonderful ideas! I'm out of town right now, but will post a pic of my stocking garland when I get home
I'm so glad others are enjoying this thread, too:

Michelle
#25 of 26 Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

I just got The Christmas Craft Book by Floris books from the library, and it's got a beautiful advent calendar in it. It is basically a gold ladder against blue cardstock. You make a baby Jesus out of beeswax (or wool, or wood, etc.) and lower Him one rung at a time toward a cradle made out of a walnut shell. You also add one gold star to the sky every day. I'm sure I'm not describing it well, but it is lovely, easy, and really gets the theme of "expectation" across. I think I'll do one next year.
#26 of 26 Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM

I realize it's a few days late, but I finally finished out advent "calendar" yesterday. It is very simple. I just stamped 24 red envelopes (well 23 by the time it was done) with numbers. I hung a white ribbon that I had knotted about every 9 inches, with 2 "tails" from the top of molding on the side of a doorway. I used green and red paper clips to attach the envelopes to the ribbon knots. All the materials were things I had around the house.
Inside are all kinds of notes. On a few days there are small gifts to open and on other days there are hints on what we will do to celebrate that day.
It was fun to do and this one was pretty low-budget.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page