handmade gift ideas for my FIL--HELP!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're doing a handmade Christmas here, and I'm having all sorts of wonderful inspirations for everyone except my FIL and BILs. Does anyone have any ideas of crafty things for the guys?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm in the same boat - guys are so hard !:

Mariah
Mommy to Lily & Kane and we're homeschooling joy.gif
Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM

I don't know if you're sewing, but my mom gave me a t-shirt she bought for my dad that is too small, anyways, I'm using it to make a pillow. It says "Who are these kids, and why are they calling me dad?" lol So that's an idea, find a witty shirt and make a pillow. I'm thinking about making my FIL a BBQ apron, since he's the BBQ King, lol. What about a hand painted mug, a tool belt, something like that?

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

Old 11-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Banned

Old 11-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Banned

Here's another one from last year on the same theme - those guys never get easier to craft for:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ght=gifts+guys
Old 11-15-2007, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you seen the crayon roll ups that everyone seems to be making? Take that idea and adapt it to tools. Make a spot for each type of screwdriver, some pliers, some wrenches, a knife and anything else you can think of and sew pockets for them (from strong material, twill or jean). Simple, easy and they can fill it up and keep it for emergencies in the car or just keep tools organized at home.

or if they like to fish adapt the same concept for lures and hooks...

Or a handsewn CD wallet would be neat.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ooo! You mamas are the best! I haven't read through those other threads yet, because I'm supposed to be writing a novel right now, but I can't wait to dig through them, and the ideas already posted are great! : Thanks so much!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 AM

Well, it depends what you consider to be a "craft" but I think guys often appreciate food. Some yummy spiced nuts, hot pepper jelly, pickled hot peppers, or "macho" foods like that might be nice.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm made a fleece neck warmer and hat for my FIL, who rides a motorcycle. I made a set for my dh last fall and he loved it. I'm also making some assorted food-type stuff for FIL and BIL. Like hot cocoa mix, mix nuts in a tin, pancake mix, and a nutty oatmeal mix for my FIL (he's on an oatmeal kick due to his cholesterol).

The recipe for the oatmeal mix is easy. It's 1/2C almonds to 1 1/2C Oatmeal, put in food processor and blend till nuts and oats are a fine meal. It makes a really yummy breakfast cereal and both almonds and oatmeal help lower cholesterol.

I'm not sure what else to make my BIL... He's a slave to an insurance company and is on the road all the time. Any ideas for a man who's in the car all the time?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:22 PM

For father's day, I got some iron-on transfer paper, and blank t-shirts, and made some cute shirts for my dh, dd, and fil. You just print the image on your printer, and iron it on!

My dad is a big UNC fan, so his had a photo of ds in a UNC cap, and said "I love the Tarheels, and my Grandpa too."

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
Old 11-18-2007, 04:21 AM

Really good ideas here.
We are doing an all homemade Christmas also, and I'm going to make my FIL a remote control holder that will hang over the arm of his recliner, similar to this

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

User Tag List