Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 12-17-2007, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post
Thank you!
I really like your tomato. What pattern did you use? I'm having a hard time working on such small dpn's for the first time. I wonder if another pattern might help me.
Oh, I knew I was forgetting something -- I finished my celery stalks. I'm real happy with them.
I didn't use a pattern. I just cut out pieces from old sweaters and sewed them up.

For the tomato itself, I cut out 5 pieces of red sweater in an oblong shape with pointed ends. This will work for any ball shape. Here's an example of an "unpeeled globe." I cut my pieces a little wider so I wouldn't have to use so many.

I sewed them up, inside out, and then turned and stuffed. Along the top I did a running stitch to create a drawstring effect and pulled it closed, then knotted.

Then I cut out green leaf shapes to put on top, and sewed those down with a whip stitch.

Does that make sense? I kind of made it up as I went along.
#62 of 85 Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here is the pattern for celery. It was fun, it made me learn how to pick up stitches. The tomato is giving me a headache though.

http://www.magknits.com/Sept05/patterns/garden.htm
Eek! So cute!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#63 of 85 Old 12-17-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
I didn't use a pattern. I just cut out pieces from old sweaters and sewed them up.

For the tomato itself, I cut out 5 pieces of red sweater in an oblong shape with pointed ends. This will work for any ball shape. Here's an example of an "unpeeled globe." I cut my pieces a little wider so I wouldn't have to use so many.

I sewed them up, inside out, and then turned and stuffed. Along the top I did a running stitch to create a drawstring effect and pulled it closed, then knotted.

Then I cut out green leaf shapes to put on top, and sewed those down with a whip stitch.

Does that make sense? I kind of made it up as I went along.
Uh, yeah, that makes so much sense that I am going to do that with felt and forget about knitting it. I don't seem to be so good yet at in the round with small dpn's.

: Thank you for the great idea.
#64 of 85 Old 12-18-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Uh, yeah, that makes so much sense that I am going to do that with felt and forget about knitting it. I don't seem to be so good yet at in the round with small dpn's.

: Thank you for the great idea.
I'm glad I could help!
#65 of 85 Old 12-19-2007, 04:07 AM

Fyrestorm, thanks for the explanation....your romance jars are so wonderful and creative! I'm going to have to try to remember them when my sister's anniversary rolls around. What a great way to remind couples to continue to be romantic!

Is anyone else starting to feel really really nervous now that Christmas is only a week away? : I'm trying to remind myself that even if everything doesn't get done that it's ok.

But of course I want everything to get done.

A happy woman
#66 of 85 Old 12-19-2007, 01:01 PM

I'm done with my gift-making, now I'm just panicking that it wont be enough and anticipating everyones reactions etc. trying just to block all that out though and enjoy the next couple weeks.

blogging.jpg 
#67 of 85 Old 12-19-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
Fyrestorm, thanks for the explanation....your romance jars are so wonderful and creative! I'm going to have to try to remember them when my sister's anniversary rolls around. What a great way to remind couples to continue to be romantic!

Is anyone else starting to feel really really nervous now that Christmas is only a week away? : I'm trying to remind myself that even if everything doesn't get done that it's ok.

But of course I want everything to get done.
Yeah I'm nowhere near done. Our kitchen is getting disgusting because I haven't had time to do dishes in like 3 days!!!
Busy busy busy... I have a feeling I'll be up late on Christmas Eve. Very late.
#68 of 85 Old 12-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Flipping out over here at all the things I still need to do.

DS1 Doll
startDS2 Doll
soccer goal
order soccer net (even though it will be late)
write treasure hunt for soccer goal
family flanel pants
DS1 applique stocking
DH applique stocking
knit and felt bag for sister
Set up Christmas tree
wrap gifts.

Wow. Typing it out is good, but makes me really need to get to work!
#69 of 85 Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Is anyone else starting to feel really really nervous now that Christmas is only a week away?
Operamommy, I am freaking out! I stayed up until midnight last night finishing the things for the gift exchange at work today, and still have glitter under my fingernails from the stupid extra fancy fairy I made . I have no idea how I will get DD's other gift made in such a short time without her knowing about it.... maybe if I tell her it is for her cousin? I keep telling myself that I will not see my nieces until the 28th, so that gives me a few extra days

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#70 of 85 Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 PM

I'm getting there. Slowly. My felted bowls came out nice. Super easy.

Slippers will get finished on car ride up to inlaws on Sunday. Food doesn't need to be finished until the 29th. Scarf until January 10th. I might be able to breathe now.
#71 of 85 Old 12-21-2007, 02:54 AM

I got ds2's Little Baby done!!! :

I'm sooooo incredibly relieved. I still have more to do, but that was the project I was really dreading. A picture is in my blog if you want to peak!

A happy woman
#72 of 85 Old 12-21-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I got ds2's Little Baby done!!! :

I'm sooooo incredibly relieved. I still have more to do, but that was the project I was really dreading. A picture is in my blog if you want to peak!
Awww, that looks so great! Your little one is going to love it.

Good job Mama!!
#73 of 85 Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 AM

operamommy; that is so CUTE! You are so amazingly crafty And OT but, we call out little girl Bean too

#74 of 85 Old 12-21-2007, 12:46 PM

Finished the tomato and a plum.

I went to Goodwill and found two pieces of burlap to make DD some produce bags for her cloth food.

Assuming she doesn't end up with just a tomato and a plum on Christmas morning.

So DH insisted I do the week's worth of dishes that had built up until yesterday. I asked him when he thought I'd have the time to do it, and he mentioned DD's naptime. Oh, I had forgotten about the two hour "break" I get every day! : So I got NO crafting done yesterday. He just doesn't understand how important it is to me to make her gifts. We've bought her plenty, so he thinks this crafty business is just a little side-hobby of mine. Um, I'm trying to improve my daughter's playtime here by incorporating natural and handmade toys. Playtime= learning and development. KIND OF important. :::
#75 of 85 Old 12-21-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:

So DH insisted I do the week's worth of dishes that had built up until yesterday. I asked him when he thought I'd have the time to do it, and he mentioned DD's naptime. Oh, I had forgotten about the two hour "break" I get every day! : So I got NO crafting done yesterday. He just doesn't understand how important it is to me to make her gifts. We've bought her plenty, so he thinks this crafty business is just a little side-hobby of mine. Um, I'm trying to improve my daughter's playtime here by incorporating natural and handmade toys. Playtime= learning and development. KIND OF important. :::
Yeah, having the same issue here. Dh came home early last night, which NEVER happens, but didn't seem to understand the importance of me concentrating on what I was trying to finish up. I still ended up doing the majority of the bedtime routine while he flipped channels on the tv. I was unreasonably mad about it (severe PMS), and went to bed without speaking to him. I don't want to bring it up again. I get the feeling my passion for knitting and making nice homemade things is just a little hobby to him.

As soon as I get home from work this afternoon, he is leaving to play guitar. I don't treat his music like a silly little hobby
#76 of 85 Old 12-21-2007, 04:23 PM

We are off to the in-laws for the weekend; good luck crafting everyone! I'll be checking back in a few days from now....crossing my fingers that we all get everything done!

Thanks for the compliments on Little Baby...still so glad he's done.

NoliMum, sorry your dh isn't being very understanding. Is this the first time you've crafted for your dd? Maybe once he sees how much she loves her mama-made toys he'll understand how important your crafting is. You're right - it's very important - she's getting safe, creative toys made with love - what could be better than that? The burlap produce bags sound adorable, by the way!

A happy woman
#77 of 85 Old 12-22-2007, 11:51 AM

Oh my gosh Hoopin;, we are on the very same page, down to the guitar playing DH's and PMS. Plus, my DS was home sick from school and I could not work on his little project. :grumble grumble:.

I didn't get anything done at all yesterday in relation to Christmas except for wrapping a few gifts. Oh, I did eat a metric ton of cookies though : I did have an idea for an easier House Purse construction this morning in the shower, so I plan to put aside the wash and vacuuming all day today to work on it.

#78 of 85 Old 12-22-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, having the same issue here. Dh came home early last night, which NEVER happens, but didn't seem to understand the importance of me concentrating on what I was trying to finish up. I still ended up doing the majority of the bedtime routine while he flipped channels on the tv. I was unreasonably mad about it (severe PMS), and went to bed without speaking to him. I don't want to bring it up again. I get the feeling my passion for knitting and making nice homemade things is just a little hobby to him.

As soon as I get home from work this afternoon, he is leaving to play guitar. I don't treat his music like a silly little hobby
ARRRGHH!! My DH is a guitarist too. He is in a band that practices faithfully twice a week, and now they're starting to get some gigs, so he's home even less now. I never argue with his need to practice; I know how important it is to him and honestly I'd love if we could get to the point where he can make a living off his music and quit the day job. My sewing just doesn't have the same priority in this house.

And naturally because I'm still nursing, I have to do pretty much all the parenting too. (He is a wonderful father, but I am usually stuck with the "work" part of parenting while he gets the "play" part.)

Unfortunately this is such a common situation, where DH's hobby takes precedent over DW's.
#79 of 85 Old 12-22-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
NoliMum, sorry your dh isn't being very understanding. Is this the first time you've crafted for your dd? Maybe once he sees how much she loves her mama-made toys he'll understand how important your crafting is. You're right - it's very important - she's getting safe, creative toys made with love - what could be better than that? The burlap produce bags sound adorable, by the way!
Yeah, he sees my stuff and he's like, "Wow, that's great!" or, "Those are cute, she'll love them." But it just doesn't seem to compute in his brain that I need TIME to make all this stuff! And I get flack for taking too long on the computer, too, when usually I'm looking up patterns and ideas.

Glad you mentioned the burlap bags, I had almost forgotten I'd even bought the material. SO much is on my plate right now I can't see straight. :
#80 of 85 Old 12-22-2007, 08:42 PM

Anyone as burnt out as I am with Christmas craftmaking? I mean, I love what I'm doing, dh thinks all of what I've done is cool, and I have a few finishing touches I'd like to work on, but I lost my motivation. I have a large cup of coffee and I'm waiting for dh to come home so I can hide downstairs and maybe finish them up. I think I need to play some Christmas music to get me in the spirit again.

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#81 of 85 Old 12-24-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcmommyto3 View Post
Anyone as burnt out as I am with Christmas craftmaking? I mean, I love what I'm doing, dh thinks all of what I've done is cool, and I have a few finishing touches I'd like to work on, but I lost my motivation. I have a large cup of coffee and I'm waiting for dh to come home so I can hide downstairs and maybe finish them up. I think I need to play some Christmas music to get me in the spirit again.
:
Pretend those are Christmas vibes.

I am enjoying, but I haven't been working on anything too extensive. Actually, I became inspired so late in the year, that I can't wait until next year. I have never been one to think about Christmas before Thanksgiving, but now that I am seeing how wonderful it is with a child, I will start earlier next year and try for an even-more homemade Christmas.

Meanwhile, I successfully pulled off a dinner party for 8 adults and three children, and have finished most of my stuff. Will post some more FO's later.
Tonight we are having dinner with friends and decorating their tree with them (interesting tradition, putting tree up on the 24th), and then it's all relaxing family time after that!

I'm pretty psyched about New Year knitting plans, especially now that I have discovered the wonder that is Knitpicks!!
#82 of 85 Old 12-24-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
ARRRGHH!! My DH is a guitarist too. He is in a band that practices faithfully twice a week, and now they're starting to get some gigs, so he's home even less now. I never argue with his need to practice; I know how important it is to him and honestly I'd love if we could get to the point where he can make a living off his music and quit the day job. My sewing just doesn't have the same priority in this house.

And naturally because I'm still nursing, I have to do pretty much all the parenting too. (He is a wonderful father, but I am usually stuck with the "work" part of parenting while he gets the "play" part.)

Unfortunately this is such a common situation, where DH's hobby takes precedent over DW's.

YUP.
#83 of 85 Old 12-24-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
:
Pretend those are Christmas vibes.

I am enjoying, but I haven't been working on anything too extensive. Actually, I became inspired so late in the year, that I can't wait until next year. I have never been one to think about Christmas before Thanksgiving, but now that I am seeing how wonderful it is with a child, I will start earlier next year and try for an even-more homemade Christmas.

Meanwhile, I successfully pulled off a dinner party for 8 adults and three children, and have finished most of my stuff. Will post some more FO's later.
Tonight we are having dinner with friends and decorating their tree with them (interesting tradition, putting tree up on the 24th), and then it's all relaxing family time after that!

I'm pretty psyched about New Year knitting plans, especially now that I have discovered the wonder that is Knitpicks!!
I want to learn to knit. There are so many cool things I'd do if I could knit.

Thanks for the Xmas vibes. I spent 3 hours on 1 small project (a felt whale) Friday night (late late). I was so slow because I kept tangling the embroidery floss. But I did get my wood animals painted yesterday. And I just have to put a protective clear coat on them.

And I am working on an I-spy bottle for my nephew. So far, I've collected 35 little things (like buttons, beads, small screw, small erasers, stones and a shell and the like) to put into a empty gatorade bottle filled with rice. I've made that before for my kids, but never for anyone else before.

And dh wrapped all the (store-bought) kids' gifts last night so today, I have time to other stuff if I feel like it. But I may just not and be done with it and do it over the next few weeks.

Anyway, it's all good whether I do more or leave them as is. We'll see.

#84 of 85 Old 12-27-2007, 12:06 PM

Well, how did it go for everyone? I managed to get everything finished except for ds2's crayon roll; my thread spindle on my sewing machine broke. Grrr...gonna have to figure out how to order a new one now. Ds2 didn't miss the crayon roll; he was so happy with his first few gifts that he didn't want to open any more!

My big kids loved their gifts too. It's so gratifying to see someone's face light up when they open something you've crafted.

A happy woman
#85 of 85 Old 12-27-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Well, how did it go for everyone? I managed to get everything finished except for ds2's crayon roll; my thread spindle on my sewing machine broke. Grrr...gonna have to figure out how to order a new one now. Ds2 didn't miss the crayon roll; he was so happy with his first few gifts that he didn't want to open any more!

My big kids loved their gifts too. It's so gratifying to see someone's face light up when they open something you've crafted.
My dds absolutely loved their playmats and accessories. They have been playing with them everyday.

My dn seemed to like his I-SPY jar. I ended up using a quart size Ball canning jar and called it a treasure hunt in a bottle. He seemed to like it, especially since I told him his mom can change out the "treasures" and when he got bored of the whole concept, he could use the jar to collect bugs in (as long as he poked holes in the lid). He said, yeah, the last time he collected bugs, he forgot to poke holes and the bugs died.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page