Crocheting and keeping the edges straight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am an experienced knitter but have been trying to grasp crocheting. I want to crochet a scarf, but as I work along, I either end up decreasing inadvertedly or increasing. So my scaft looks like 2 triangles stuck together - it's thick on the ends and gets skinnier as it moves into the middle.

I'm doing double crochet and I'm obviously either not chaining enough at the start of a row, or starting my row in the wrong stitch. Can anyone show me a detailed diagram or anything that can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? MIL very much wants a scarf for Christmas and I don't have the time to knit her one, so crochet is the only way I'm going to be able to get it done. :
#2 of 4 Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Here's a helpful tutorial on dc: http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutoria...le-crochet.htm. I've pulled the following quote to address what I think the issues might be:

"Note also that before doing the next double crochet row, you should chain 3 so all your stitches will be at the same height. This turning chain (tch) counts as the first dc for the next row. This is why when you start that next row, you go into the 2nd stitch.

Note: Some people only need to chain 2 to get the needed height. You will have to see what works best for you."

At about 2:45 in this video, she demonstrates how you'd work the first stitch of a second row of dc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1txJLRPfuE

I think you are inadvertently increasing by making a dc in the first stitch of the next row. Hope this helps some.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#3 of 4 Old 12-01-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you!! That first link was EXACTLY what I needed. At first (when I was decreasing inadvertently) I wasn't doing the very last stitch. Then when I started increasing, I was doing the last stitch but also doing the first stitch into the 1st ch rather than the second. Now it makes sense
#4 of 4 Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 PM

I used to have this issue too. I wish I had come across that link about 6 months ago! Some books' graphics just don't cut it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page