how do I dispose of soda ash? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-02-2007, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought the smallest amount Dharma sold, a couple of years ago, for a few small projects. But I still have a big bag left, and I don't know what to do with it.

I could keep it around, but I am uncomfortable with chemicals in a home with children, if they don't need to be there, or end up sitting around and forgotten about until unfortunately rediscovered one day.

Can I just throw it in the trash? Or do I need to dispose of it in a special way? How toxic is it, anyway. I have been searching online for 20 minutes now and haven't come up with much to answer these questions. I figured you all might know.
#2 of 7 Old 12-02-2007, 01:22 AM

could you...maybe mix it with oil to saponify any sodium hydroxide content, turning it into harmless soap?
#3 of 7 Old 12-02-2007, 01:25 AM

You could call your local swimming pool. I believe that's what we used to change the pH in the hot tub when I worked at a pool.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#4 of 7 Old 12-02-2007, 01:29 AM

I found this just now...

Quote:
WASTE DISPOSAL METHODS (DISPOSER MUST COMPLY WITH FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL DISPOSAL OR DISCHARGE LAWS):
If permitted by applicable disposal regulations, bury in a sold waste landfill or dissolve and neutralize as follows: Dissolve in water using caution as
solution can get hot. Neutralize with acid and flush to sewer with plenty of water. Good ventilation is required during neutralization due to release of
CO2 gas. Neutralized waste may have to be disposed of by an approved contractor.

http://www.genchemcorp.com/pdf/msds/...20-%205-01.pdf
#5 of 7 Old 12-02-2007, 01:31 AM

also found this

Quote:
What is the safest way to dispose of soda ash?

Name: Katie

I will assume that you are asking about discarding soda ash (sodium carbonate) at home or in a teaching lab or art studio, not the large quantities that may be produced industrially.

If you are discarding small quantities that have been dissolved in water, it is safe to just pour it down the sink. Laundry detergent commonly contains quite a lot of sodium carbonate.

The high pH produced by a large amount of sodium carbonate might be bad for a septic system. Add enough vinegar (which is typically 5% acetic acid) or other acid to reach a neutral pH. USe pH paper to determine when you have added sufficient vinegar that your pH gets near 7, which is neutral. The pH of a strong solution of sodium carbonate may be as high as 12.

Once the pH has been neutralized, you will essentially have rather dilute salt water. This is fine for disposal in septic tanks or sewage systems, but should not be dumped directly on plants, as salt can be bad for plant growth.

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyelog/...0060516104947/
#6 of 7 Old 12-02-2007, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, thank you, thank you!

I like the soap idea, but I think I will do what the last link says. Just have to find some litmus paper.
#7 of 7 Old 12-02-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriforeman View Post
could you...maybe mix it with oil to saponify any sodium hydroxide content, turning it into harmless soap?
Soda ash does not contain sodium hydroxide.

You might use it in your laundrey similar to how you might use baking soda.

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page