where to buy wool felt and wool roving? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-02-2007, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking about trying to make some play food out of wool felt (should I use 100% wool or a blend?) and trying my hand at some simple felt balls and that sort of thing. Where do you buy your wool felt and roving? Cheaper is better for me, but I want good quality too. There are just soooo many places and I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-02-2007, 08:52 PM

I love this place for wool and wool blend felt and also rovings.

www.weirdollsandcrafts.com

Also check on Ebay for bargains, from time to time.
#3 of 7 Old 12-03-2007, 12:56 AM

I just bought some from Weir Dolls and it is very nice. Very good prices as well. I'm going to be using it to make DS felt play food for Christmas! Can't wait to get started.
#4 of 7 Old 12-03-2007, 04:24 AM

I've found roving at local chain craft stores, knitting stores, and some of the quilting stores in my area. The quilt places have 100% wool fabric and 100% felted wool as well. Check around; if they don't carry it, they may consider it. My local shop was willing to special order items for me.
#5 of 7 Old 12-03-2007, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ordered some peacefleece from the recent co-op and really loved using that roving for making needlefelted play food... it felts super quickly and stays together... no fuzzies compared to the roving I bought elsewhere... really loved it for this purpose.

I started my needlefelting experience with a kit from madebymoxie on ebay... she sells "green" foam which was why I went with her kit... the roving that comes with that kit is much finer and hard to needlefelt something like playfood that gets beat up... def. prefer the peacefleece felt... otherwise the kit was great, wonderful way to start needlefelting and cheaper than others I'd seen.
#6 of 7 Old 12-03-2007, 08:21 AM

I got my roving at my local Waldorf School, Kindcraft shop. I've also bought from a ebay seller and their roving (colors) was much softer and I preferred how it felted. I am off to look for peacefleece, as pp mentioned. My animals, gnomes, etc. still come out "fuzzy" and would love to buy some wool that works better for me.

Can you give any more info on the peacefleece?

Thanks.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#7 of 7 Old 12-04-2007, 05:38 PM

Hi Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeKelly View Post
I ordered some peacefleece from the recent co-op and really loved using that roving for making needlefelted play food... it felts super quickly and stays together... no fuzzies compared to the roving I bought elsewhere... really loved it for this purpose.
I have some Peace Fleece also and I really like it. I have the Rainbow Felting Pack and it's lasting me forever. It's more like batting as opposed to roving, so it is less whispy and doesn't leave all the fuzzy hairs like roving does. I ordered it through a co-op, but it is also not that expensive at retail price. I would check out Ebay too. We don't have anywhere locally that sells it that I've found yet, not even at our one yarn shop .

I've heard good things about the felt from Weir Dolls like someone else mentioned, and also from A Child's Dream Come True.

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page