Best Materials For Under Naked Baby Pad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No idea what this would be called exactly or where the best sub-category would be to put it.

My daughter hates diapers and sometimes just hates being held so spends a lot of time laying naked on a pile of prefolds. (she's 2 mos old and I think its because she just likes to lay naked and wiggle ) No matter how many I put down it always wicks through to the bottom and whatever is underneath.

So I would like to make her a waterproof pad. I have knit wool thats slightly felted, PUL, hemp terry, microfleece, and I might have some sherpa (plus I have a lot of other random diaper/clothing type materials). And I have a ton of prefolds in toddler and infant sizes.

What would be the most waterproof and softest combination to make a pad out of? I was thinking maybe something where I could easily replace the absorbent material without having to wash the whole thing every time she wets. But I only have about a half yard of wool and its square, so would be great for 1 side but not for both.

Right now I have her laying on a prefold on top of the wool, but it shifts a lot because she kicks and wriggles constantly, so I keep having to adjust it.
#2 of 3 Old 12-07-2007, 02:35 PM

When my dd was that little, I just put her on the floor on a large receiving blanket with a yard of oilcloth underneath. The oilcloth protected the floor, and the blanket just went in with the next load of laundry. Actually, naked time was kind of the last stop for the blanket before the laundry. It would be her stroller or nursing blanket in the morning and her naked blanket in the afternoon. You could use fabric or something instead of blankets; I had a ton of receiving blankets, for some reason they were the hot hand-me-down item that year!
#3 of 3 Old 12-07-2007, 06:22 PM

I have a "changing pad" of PUL sandwiched between flannel that is super soft. I used it on my bed during PPAF. It gets tossed in the wash with towels.

Just a large square of PUL and a couple pieces of flannel is all it would take.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page