When your kids do NOT like your handmade gift... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-29-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I made quite a few things for Christmas this year. Most were well received, but I was so bummed at my dd's reaction to the little Waldorf doll I made her! Here is a pic:

http://www.hippicks.com/images/littleWdressed.jpg

I thought she would really like it, since it was little and easy to carry around with her. I even told dh "she is really going to like this!" But, alas, she looked more confused than happy when she opened it and then just put it on the floor and wanted to open another present. I tried to show her she could take the hat & outfit off, etc., but nope! No interest. I'm really worried because I made a full-sized Waldorf doll for her for her January birthday!

It was really my fault. I know she isn't that into dolls. I just wanted to make a special one for her! But I should have instead made something she could "crash" or something. Or I should have given it to her brother, so that would automatically make her want it. Hee hee.

This problem may be a lifelong one. She just isn't into the (stereotypical) girly stuff. Ds isn't into dolls, etc., either. But there are so many cute crafts that relate to dolls, doll houses, peg dolls, fairies, etc. that I want to make!
#2 of 15 Old 12-29-2007, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipGal View Post
I made quite a few things for Christmas this year. Most were well received, but I was so bummed at my dd's reaction to the little Waldorf doll I made her! Here is a pic:

http://www.hippicks.com/images/littleWdressed.jpg

I thought she would really like it, since it was little and easy to carry around with her. I even told dh "she is really going to like this!" But, alas, she looked more confused than happy when she opened it and then just put it on the floor and wanted to open another present. I tried to show her she could take the hat & outfit off, etc., but nope! No interest. I'm really worried because I made a full-sized Waldorf doll for her for her January birthday!

It was really my fault. I know she isn't that into dolls. I just wanted to make a special one for her! But I should have instead made something she could "crash" or something. Or I should have given it to her brother, so that would automatically make her want it. Hee hee.

This problem may be a lifelong one. She just isn't into the (stereotypical) girly stuff. Ds isn't into dolls, etc., either. But there are so many cute crafts that relate to dolls, doll houses, peg dolls, fairies, etc. that I want to make!
I know what you mean. I made waldorf dolls for dd and cousins a couple years ago and they were not a big hit. This year, even though I wanted to build and decorate a dollhouse for dd, I ended up with handmade frogs, turtles and lizards. That is what she wanted but definitely not my favorite. That is a beautiful doll - hang on to it and she may get into it later.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#3 of 15 Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 PM

Hipgal, that is one cute little baby How old is your DD? She might change her mind. Both my DD and my niece loved cars and trucks when they were 2 or 3 and under, and now at 6 they cannot get enough of babies. Perhaps if you just put it in her room somewhere accessable she will play with it on her own later on. I put all the babies we got away in the closet where my DD could still get them out when she wanted, and it was like Christmas all over again when she "discovered" them

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#4 of 15 Old 12-30-2007, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice. She is about to turn 2, so you are both right that she may appreciate it when she is a little older. Earlier today she was putting all the wooden peg people I made to bed, so that made me feel a little better.
#5 of 15 Old 12-30-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
Hipgal, that is one cute little baby How old is your DD? She might change her mind. Both my DD and my niece loved cars and trucks when they were 2 or 3 and under, and now at 6 they cannot get enough of babies. Perhaps if you just put it in her room somewhere accessable she will play with it on her own later on. I put all the babies we got away in the closet where my DD could still get them out when she wanted, and it was like Christmas all over again when she "discovered" them
ITA : I think 5 yo is a perfect age to receive a formed Waldorf type doll.
#6 of 15 Old 12-30-2007, 12:18 PM

We have a very good friend who is about to be 9 and has never had any interest in dolls.But she loves all the "girly stuff".She just prefers animals.I was the same way.So maybe try an animal for the next project?

My daughter however is over here drooling while looking at the pic of your little doll.Soooo sweet!

#7 of 15 Old 12-30-2007, 04:23 PM

I second the suggestion that she just may be a bit young. My eldest is just now getting into serious pretend play. (Although my 2 year old already is.) Kids develop differently and are interested in different things at various stages.

Having said that, I made a waldorf doll for my DD2 when she turned 1. That poor doll has been virtually ignored for over a year. It wasn't nearly as cute as your little baby doll, though. LOL.
#8 of 15 Old 01-05-2008, 03:38 AM

I adore making dolls, but none of my kids really wanted to play with the ones I made for them. The lovely dollhouses they have are peopled with Littlest Pet Shop animals instead of my bendie dolls. They'd rather tote around their Ty Puppies in their doll slings.
My girls are now 8 and 11, and FINALLY, they have started to play with dolls because their friends and cousins have been doing so. So I finally got a request from one of my daughters to please make her a Waldorf Doll just like the one I made for her cousin for Christmas. Identical clothes, too, please. (So it's obviously an "I'm jealous my mom spent all that time making something awesome for someone other than me" thing, and not so much because she really wants the doll.)

All the dolls I've made previosly are MY dolls. I'll let the kids borrow them, but ultimately, they are mine because I love them and will play with them. I even told my SIL that if her daughter didn't care for the doll I made, that it would automatically become hers. My niece loved it, thank goodness, but my SIL was all set to take custody if needed :
#9 of 15 Old 01-05-2008, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehndi mama View Post
My niece loved it, thank goodness, but my SIL was all set to take custody if needed :
That is so cute!
#10 of 15 Old 01-05-2008, 04:11 AM

aww I'm sorry your dd didnt like it. my ds would love a snuggly little doll like that
#11 of 15 Old 01-20-2008, 12:29 AM

I totally understand. My 2 yr old dd has never liked anything I've made for her and I've made some really cute stuff! I keep making it anyways lol. Your doll is adorable!
#12 of 15 Old 01-21-2008, 03:16 AM

I hear you- I made my almost three year old a waldorf doll for the holidays and no joke it sat untouched under the tree for five days! She saw it but had no interest in it. Now just recently she has started playing with it, actually ALL day today. So maybe she'll come around. It's really cute, good work!
#13 of 15 Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 PM

DD doesn't like a LOT of the toys/stuff I make for her.

Honestly, I just shrug it off. Some of it she'll later come back to and some she probably will never enjoy.

It's so hard to know in advance what someone will enjoy playing with. I try to base it off of her current interests, but when they're young that can change rapidly, too!
#14 of 15 Old 01-24-2008, 12:56 PM

Aww...she's so cute!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#15 of 15 Old 01-25-2008, 11:41 PM

Ha! I know what you mean. I just suck it up and keep on crafting anyway! Twenty years from now I'll prove to them just what a fantabulous mama I truly was!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page