The brand new to sewing tribe! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 165 Old 01-17-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first date w/ my seam ripper. It was lovely, really. I'm sure we'll be seeing each other again, but hopefully not anytime too soon.

OK, seriously, I'm trying to make an envelope pillow cover and I got some of my stitching a little crooked. It feels like it's taking me forever, but that's mostly b/c I don't have enough time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 165 Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 PM

I get to pick up my machine today! Woo Hoo! I have lots to do before I can really get it out and get sewing, but maybe having it sitting here will be good motivation to get moving.

earthgirl: I'm glad you're seeing a little humor in your seam ripper experience. Even if it was after the fact. Someday soon we'll be such pros that the seam rippers get dusty, right?

brandnewmommy: The wipes look great. Anyone who cares that they aren't square is not worth showing them to!

mamamirranda: I'm looking forward to the finished pics of your dipes. That's one project I need to do, and it's encouranging to hear other success stories.

Mom to  DS (8), DD (6), DS (4), DS (1),and baby#5 05/2015
#63 of 165 Old 01-17-2008, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Oh man, I think I use my seam ripper at least once on every project. And if I ever am working on something and get close to finishing and start thinking, "wow, this is great! I haven't had to undo anything!" I better take a close look at what I just sewed, because chances are, I'll need to rip it! It always seems like its the times that I'm being really thorough and reinforce my stitching so its nice and secure.. thats what will end up needing undone!!!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#64 of 165 Old 01-18-2008, 12:57 AM

:

I got a machine for Christmas and will be getting fabric soon.

Now I just need my kids to disappear for a couple of hours a day...
#65 of 165 Old 01-18-2008, 03:57 PM

Hi everyone! I have a sewing machine and have played around with it a little in the past. I have never really figured out this whole sewing thing though. I can sew a straight line and have made a pillowcase and an apron.
I want to start sewing but not sure where to start? Or what to sew?
I am having a baby girl in May but we already have lots of girl clothes. I have a 2 1/2 yr old son but can't think of what to make for him either.

Any suggestions??
#66 of 165 Old 01-18-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2learn View Post
Hi everyone! I have a sewing machine and have played around with it a little in the past. I have never really figured out this whole sewing thing though. I can sew a straight line and have made a pillowcase and an apron.
I am having a baby girl in May but we already have lots of girl clothes. I have a 2 1/2 yr old son but can't think of what to make for him either.

Any suggestions??
Pajama pants? I hear they're easy.
#67 of 165 Old 01-19-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
That's a great start brandnewmommy! I continue to make cloth wipes as I sew other things b/c I use them to practice my stitches on. Great way to see what a stitch looks like as well as add to my wipes.
I agree that they're a great thing to practice on. They're just wipes, so who cares if the stitching is weird? It's a great way to experiment with the sewing machine. I want to make some more but I need to get more fabric. What do you make your wipes out of? Mine were flannel on one side and cotton terry on the other side.

Quote:

Any suggestions??
A blanket? My grandma was telling me how to sew one with strips of flannel. You don't have to finish the edges so it sounds super easy. I may try to make one for my SIL once I know what gender her baby is.

How about a shopping cart cover? It seems a little more complicated, but I've got a "for dummies" pattern, so we'll see.

Are you cloth diapering? Cloth baby wipes are a nice, easy project.

Baby bibs?

Dress up clothes for your son? A simple cape that could turn into anything, cloth armour, etc...

Anything you need around the house? Curtains? More pillows? Tablecloth?

Let us knowwhat you end up deciding to make!

An update on me. I went to JoAnns. They were having a sale on Simplicity patterns. Every Simplicity pattern was $1. The limit was 10, so I bought 10. Here's some things I'd like to attempt. I just have to wait to have money to get materials.

Shopping cart cover
Pajama pants (one for me and one for DH)
A robe for my mom
Jumper and hat for Ayden
T-shirt and pants set for Ayden
Curtains
Pillows
Apron
Vinyl mat for floor for under high chair (no pattern - I think I can wing it - lol)
Tote bags (one for me and hopefully ones for my nieces for their birthdays this year)
Wool diaper cover
More cloth baby wipes

Wow...this list keeps growing!
#68 of 165 Old 01-19-2008, 02:14 PM

Subbing...

Be back later...
#69 of 165 Old 01-19-2008, 03:16 PM

No time to write but didn't want to lose this thread.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#70 of 165 Old 01-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnewmommy View Post
I agree that they're a great thing to practice on. They're just wipes, so who cares if the stitching is weird? It's a great way to experiment with the sewing machine. I want to make some more but I need to get more fabric. What do you make your wipes out of? Mine were flannel on one side and cotton terry on the other side.
This is part of my problem too. Baby wipes sounds like a good idea, even if we'll be saving them for awhile! My thing is that I need a project where it's okay to do it with complete beginner's quality yet it's interesting enough to motivate me. Baby wipes fulfills that criteria!

So I'm also curious what people make them out of. What is cotton terry--towel material?

I'm also trying to figure out where to get material, especially being in Canada.
#71 of 165 Old 01-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Yeah, cotton terry is the same as towelling: fantastic stuff. I get mine from www.babeco.co.uk because I like their bamboo, but there's probably cheaper sources in Canada.

I have a big date coming up with my seam ripper too: at the weekend, I made a curtain to go over our back door so our neighbour won't see me birthing naked. It's great, as long as you don't believe in trivial details like gravity or straight lines- so I'm planning on ripping and restitching (and possibly even re-cutting) tomorrow. On the bright side, I found the most fantastic pair of barely worn flannel PJs in a charity shop today (pictures of the haul are on my blog) and I can't wait to cut them up and use them for something.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#72 of 165 Old 01-22-2008, 06:38 PM

I'm so new to sewing I don't even have a machine yet, lol! I have been thinking about what to get for awhile. I just need to decide already.

I'm torn about what machine to get. I don't want something that is just cheap and won't do anything, but I also don't want to spend a fortune to find out that I don't really want to continue to sew.

I will have to keep an eye on this thread and post more once I finally get a machine.

Andrea
#73 of 165 Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 AM

Well, I remade the curtain and then I made a fleece blanket to go over baby in his car seat. And the blanket looks pretty good, although the curtain is (tbh) a disaster. But I'm proud of myself.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#74 of 165 Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Well, I remade the curtain and then I made a fleece blanket to go over baby in his car seat. And the blanket looks pretty good, although the curtain is (tbh) a disaster. But I'm proud of myself.
Got any pics?
#75 of 165 Old 01-25-2008, 01:00 AM

I should sub t this because, really, I'm still a newbie.

I've also found some great projects to share.
#76 of 165 Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 AM

I have been meaning to answer the question: "What do I use to make wipes"
Very simply, I use flannel. To pieces front and back and that's it. I don't make super absorbant super, wonderful wipes, I just make what is easy and works. And flannel works great!

I finished a sling I had actually started awhile back. Did you know you can get maya wrap directions straight from the maya wrap site? It's pretty darn easy. I'll be gifting the one I made to a friend that really wants a ring sling.

Now I am making a knitting needle holder. I dont knit, but the project is easy and I really like instant gratification projects that don't take entirely too long. Then I'll do projects in b/n that take longer.I'm going to make a few and gift them.

The last few projects I've done have been awesome for helping me learn about my machine as well as sewing terms so that's helpful.

I really wish I just had more time to do it. I am only able to grab a few minutes here and there or maybe a couple hours some evenings, IF I'm lucky.
But once the babes are a bit older it'll be easier, I guess!
How's everyone's projects coming along?

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#77 of 165 Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 AM

Here's the maya wrap sewing linK:
http://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php

Super easy!!

#78 of 165 Old 01-25-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
Here's the maya wrap sewing linK:
http://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php

Super easy!!
Ooh, thanks for this!
#79 of 165 Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 PM

I'm so glad this thread is here. I'd been wanting to learn to sew for a while and DH got me a sewing machine for my b-day last June. I jumped in on my own after looking at the cost of classes.

I use and really like the Readers Digest begginers sewing book. Its got MOST of the info I need. I started with pajamas for DH and I- they weren't too hard (made sure to get the EASY pattern). I learned that you have to follow the pattern directions very closely.

Anyway, since then I've made a couple of blankets and I SOOO want to make some stuff for my new nephew due in April!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#80 of 165 Old 01-25-2008, 01:22 PM

I'm working on hemming some curtains. Until the dog and the boys came along I always had that Ikea ones that were a couple feet too long and let them drape on the floor. Bad idea now. So I'm hemming them all up. I love the pattern of one so much that I'm planning on making a purse out of it once I'm all done hemming. It's thick like decor fabric so it should work wonderfully.

Oh, and don't assume that the bottoms of Ikea curtains are straight. I measured up from the bottom on one set and they're not straight and not the same length now! Oh well. Who am I trying to impress, right?

Here's the purse pattern that I'm using. It's so so super easy. I scale it down though because otherwise it's a huge purse! http://lulalouise.blogspot.com/2008/...-tutorial.html

Oh and please feel free to peruse my del.icio.us account for cool sewing tutorials. I've got a ton! http://del.icio.us/runawayoctober/Sewing
#81 of 165 Old 01-25-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~MoonGypsy~ View Post
I'm working on hemming some curtains. Until the dog and the boys came along I always had that Ikea ones that were a couple feet too long and let them drape on the floor. Bad idea now. So I'm hemming them all up. I love the pattern of one so much that I'm planning on making a purse out of it once I'm all done hemming. It's thick like decor fabric so it should work wonderfully.

Oh, and don't assume that the bottoms of Ikea curtains are straight. I measured up from the bottom on one set and they're not straight and not the same length now! Oh well. Who am I trying to impress, right?

Here's the purse pattern that I'm using. It's so so super easy. I scale it down though because otherwise it's a huge purse! http://lulalouise.blogspot.com/2008/...-tutorial.html

Oh and please feel free to peruse my del.icio.us account for cool sewing tutorials. I've got a ton! http://del.icio.us/runawayoctober/Sewing

You know what?? I thought I was going crazy...I have 2 sets of the Ikea linen curtains, and when I went to hem them, they were all wonky! (therefore, I no longer keep a glass of wine handy when doing sewing) LOL
#82 of 165 Old 01-26-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMama36 View Post
You know what?? I thought I was going crazy...I have 2 sets of the Ikea linen curtains, and when I went to hem them, they were all wonky! (therefore, I no longer keep a glass of wine handy when doing sewing) LOL
:

#83 of 165 Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM

I finished my purse.
Check it out: http://runawayoctober.wordpress.com/
#84 of 165 Old 01-27-2008, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~MoonGypsy~ View Post
I finished my purse.
Check it out: http://runawayoctober.wordpress.com/
Wow! It looks great!
#85 of 165 Old 01-27-2008, 08:39 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Your purse looks great! Very fashionable. Good job!

#86 of 165 Old 01-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Can I join??

I got a machine for Christmas and am jumping right into my first project -a simple jumper/dress for DD. I already made my big first oops with my pattern. I cut a fold where I wasn't supposed to so I just sewed the pieces back together. Hey - I expect my first project to be far from perfect

question: the pattern says to baste and stitch. Do I do a basting stitch and then a regular stitch next to it? what's the point of doing it twice if that's what they mean?

I found it extremely hard to sew when DD is around. she just wants to push the pedal and try and grab the iron cord. Nap time I use for cleaning so that's out. Today, I woke up at 6 and started sewing. DD doesn't usually awake until 7:30-8:30 so I now have morning coffee and sewing time. It's been peaceful I think I'll continue.

\m/

#87 of 165 Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCommando View Post
Can I join??

I got a machine for Christmas and am jumping right into my first project -a simple jumper/dress for DD. I already made my big first oops with my pattern. I cut a fold where I wasn't supposed to so I just sewed the pieces back together. Hey - I expect my first project to be far from perfect

question: the pattern says to baste and stitch. Do I do a basting stitch and then a regular stitch next to it? what's the point of doing it twice if that's what they mean?

I found it extremely hard to sew when DD is around. she just wants to push the pedal and try and grab the iron cord. Nap time I use for cleaning so that's out. Today, I woke up at 6 and started sewing. DD doesn't usually awake until 7:30-8:30 so I now have morning coffee and sewing time. It's been peaceful I think I'll continue.
I have no idea how to answer your question, but I know what you mean about the LO being around. It's pretty impossible to sew if DH isn't around to watch DD. I find I need completely interrupted time. Sadly, I haven't even been at the machine for over 2 weeks. We're getting ready to move so most of my free time is getting sucked up by that.
#88 of 165 Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCommando View Post

A basting stitch is a loose stitch used to hold your piece together until you finally stitch it together using the proper stitch length and tension, it's meant to be removed after you do your final stitching. You can do it by machine by increasing the stitch length or you can do it as a wide running stitch by hand.

I sew late at night after the kids are in bed, but I do some "sewing" activities during the day. Like wash fabric, trace out patterns, cut out patterns or fabric, iron fabric so that when I get a chance to sit at the machine I can just sew and enjoy!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#89 of 165 Old 01-28-2008, 05:37 PM

Sabrinat- I am learning to do it like that too. My fav. part of sewing, is sewing! So I love it when I can jump into that part. I have some major diaper sewing coming up, so I need to do a lot of cutting, (which I don't like at all). Anyways I plan to get it done here and there and then do all the fun sewing when the babes are asleep at nap!

#90 of 165 Old 01-29-2008, 05:15 PM

subbing.. i'm moving in 2 days so machine is packed down.. be bakc after it's unpacked and i'm ready for my next project!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page