The brand new to sewing tribe! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 165 Old 03-01-2008, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing I so belong here.

I need to go back and read all the posts.

I actually bought my sewing machine about a year ago and have used it maybe twice : Im intimidated by it and have hand sewn everything since. I really want to put the machine to good use. Im hoping you mums can inspire me and help me overcome`my machine insecurities.
#122 of 165 Old 03-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Im joining, although I am not good at checking in and keeping up.

I bought a machine at 50% off yesterday, the fabric I bought cost more than the machine did.
I have a big bedsheet that I want to make curtains out of (thanks mom!) and that will be my first project. I bought a few cheap patterns for shirts, pants and skirts for dd and I. We will see how that goes. Unfortunately none of what I bought material wise seems to be stretch knit. I think I bought cotton adn/or batik. DD and I went soley by pretty colours .

Id like to find the thread for pillowcase sundresses. I saw it on Martha, and I have seen it discussed here.

Decluttering 500/2010
#123 of 165 Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Reader's Digest has a GREAT sewing guide. I am not exactly sure of the title, but it is pretty awesome. Cheesy, in some ways, as one might expect form RD but very informative. HTHs!!
#124 of 165 Old 03-02-2008, 01:41 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Reader's Digest has a GREAT sewing guide. I am not exactly sure of the title, but it is pretty awesome. Cheesy, in some ways, as one might expect form RD but very informative. HTHs!!
#125 of 165 Old 03-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post

Id like to find the thread for pillowcase sundresses. I saw it on Martha, and I have seen it discussed here.
I used this tut and liked it a lot.

#126 of 165 Old 03-02-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoxinat View Post
Okay, that's it! I'm requesting this often-recommended book from the library

I am still clueless about what project to start with. I was going to do baby wipes but then I decided that I don't want to go too baby-oriented before we're ttc. I guess I'm still waiting for an interesting yet okay-to-mess-up and easy project to fall into my lap.
#127 of 165 Old 03-02-2008, 07:51 PM

I'm joining. My sewing machine has been collecting dust for years because I tried to sew a dress and couldn't get the zipper in correctly. I have OCD and cutting out and pinning patterns kind of makes my head hurt. But I've learned to manage it a bit better so I think I'm ready for another try. I think maybe a rotary cutter and cutting mat would help me to get straighter edges but I don't want to buy them until I have actually finished a few things.

I tried the cloth grocery bag tutorial linked in another thread here and now I'm just confused, so I think I'm going to try to find something smaller and simpler... like sewing a little drawstring bag to hold my Keeper or something, I guess. Or a drawstring bag for family cloth to go in... hmm!
#128 of 165 Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have one set of small curtains sewn and hung. They look great
Im working on matching drapes for the LR. Some how I thought I it would be fast and easy project. Not so- or is that not 'sew'

My machine is not very strong. It does not like sewing layers.

Decluttering 500/2010
#129 of 165 Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkin View Post
I'm joining. My sewing machine has been collecting dust for years because I tried to sew a dress and couldn't get the zipper in correctly. I have OCD and cutting out and pinning patterns kind of makes my head hurt. But I've learned to manage it a bit better so I think I'm ready for another try. I think maybe a rotary cutter and cutting mat would help me to get straighter edges but I don't want to buy them until I have actually finished a few things.

I tried the cloth grocery bag tutorial linked in another thread here and now I'm just confused, so I think I'm going to try to find something smaller and simpler... like sewing a little drawstring bag to hold my Keeper or something, I guess. Or a drawstring bag for family cloth to go in... hmm!
Hey there! Don't give it. I don't pin when I cut stuff. I use weights...even stuff like soup cans work and you're right a rotary cutter and mat are a wonderful tool. Get on the list for JoAnn's and you can use a coupon to get one pretty inexpensively.
Which grocery bag tut confused you? Can you post a link? Maybe I can help you understand it.
Good luck! Practice makes it easier.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#130 of 165 Old 03-06-2008, 06:30 PM

Whats a good first project?
I'd need something with loads of details as I barely even know how to thread my machine
I tried making a Christmas stocking this past Dec. (my one and only project this past year) but somehow screwed that up
#131 of 165 Old 03-07-2008, 10:14 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know I sewed two of those cute Tshirt bags from another thread. They took all of 10 minutes. Man, I LOVE instant gratification projects. I already used them too. I think they sort of make me look like a bag lady, but they are useful so I don't care! lol
Also I've sewed a couple of baby shoes finally. Man they are so cute when they are done no matter what fabric you use. I love them and want to make lots more. I'm glad I have cousins that are pregnant

An easy first project could be a baby bib. I'm not sure about something unbaby and it seems that's mostly what I am sewing right now.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#132 of 165 Old 03-07-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
Whats a good first project?
I'd need something with loads of details as I barely even know how to thread my machine
I tried making a Christmas stocking this past Dec. (my one and only project this past year) but somehow screwed that up
I've heard that pajama pants are pretty easy. I haven't even touched my machine in weeks b/c we moved and it's taking FOREVER to get settled. I can't wait to get back to it. I would love to make a sundress or 2 for DD, but that's probably being a bit overly optimistic, considering I have yet to finish anything!
#133 of 165 Old 03-07-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Beansricerevolt got me thinking about this. Does anyone know of easy patterns? I see that Kwik Sew and Simplicity offer easy patterns, but has anyone tried them? Or can you please share what brands of patterns you found to be pretty simple to follow? TIA.
#134 of 165 Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM

Last time I tried sewing, I used lots of simplicity patterns and they worked for me.
Right now, I'm at work on a pinafore for DD, inspired by a picture someone posted way downthread... It's all cut out, I just need to pioneer the 48-hour day to sew it all together.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#135 of 165 Old 03-07-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
Beansricerevolt got me thinking about this. Does anyone know of easy patterns? I see that Kwik Sew and Simplicity offer easy patterns, but has anyone tried them? Or can you please share what brands of patterns you found to be pretty simple to follow? TIA.
Definitely Kwik Sew! The instructions are so easy to understand.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#136 of 165 Old 03-07-2008, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer View Post
Definitely Kwik Sew! The instructions are so easy to understand.
Ah, good to know!
#137 of 165 Old 03-07-2008, 05:44 PM

Thanks guys!
I just joined a craft group so I may jump in head first
#138 of 165 Old 03-07-2008, 05:49 PM

One more question,
How do you know if your machine needs maintenance? I let a friend use my about 2 years ago. He tried to sew a patch on his jeans and ended up breaking a few needles and messed up the settings. Nothing big but its never been the same since then. The stitching is really lose and it doesn't change no matter what setting I use. Also it seems as if the bobbin thread and the top thread don't intersect (is this the right word?) like it should. Maybe Im just not really understanding my machine?
#139 of 165 Old 03-08-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
One more question,
How do you know if your machine needs maintenance? I let a friend use my about 2 years ago. He tried to sew a patch on his jeans and ended up breaking a few needles and messed up the settings. Nothing big but its never been the same since then. The stitching is really lose and it doesn't change no matter what setting I use. Also it seems as if the bobbin thread and the top thread don't intersect (is this the right word?) like it should. Maybe Im just not really understanding my machine?
That sounds like the perfect case of needing to be taken in for maintenance.

#140 of 165 Old 03-08-2008, 05:22 PM

beansricerevolt~ Yep. When my machine does what you describe it's DEFINITELY time to send the machine for a good clean and reset....

Another voter for KWIK Sew patterns! I'm horrid at patterns but those are really hard for me to mess up

Sewing a couple of scrap projects today. SIMPLE,SIMPLE baby quilt tops. Will post pics when I'm done. :
#141 of 165 Old 03-08-2008, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've been sewing! I've made a curtain to hang across the wardrobe (which is missing a door) in the baby's room. It sweeps to one side and is held by a sashy thing with a bow on it that I made, so you can see the shelves inside. And I made a ruffle to go across the top, of which I am immensely proud. Then on the shelves, the baby's clothes are in baskets which I lined with fabric! I kinda trial-and-errored the lining thing (and Mum helped with two of the baskets, thank heavens), so they're not a geometrically perfect fit, but they look nice--and being filled with baby clothes hides a multitude of sins!

Next I need to make another ruffle. The baby's room has a plain and boring Roman blind to go over the window--we're renting, so can't really change it, but I'm going to make a nice big ruffle to cover the Roman blind when it's open, if that makes sense. Maybe it'll look a tad odd when the blind is shut, but meh. I also have a few bolsters I want to cover (using the same fabrics I used for the baby's basket liners/curtain), and I'd like to make a little quilt to cover the rather ugly bouncinette someone gave us. None of this is urgent, but I love working with the fabrics I chose! We don't know the gender of the baby, and I'm not a fan of pink and blue anyway, so I chose countryish, rustic-type fabrics--browns and beiges and a bit of dusky pink, and lots of dark chocolate brown ribbon. Checks and stripes, mostly, and some calico for the curtain. I think it looks masculine enough for a boy if necessary, despite all the Suffolk puffs I've been making. I need to find some chunky wooden buttons to go in the middles of those.

Maybe I'll take some pictures later to show off! I'm thrilled--this is the first time I've ever done any 'important' sewing--ie, where it actually matters whether or not it looks good.

The other thing I want to make is a kind of oval-shaped thing to hang on the wall by the nappy changing table (which is also the chest of drawers, actually). Anyone know what I mean? Like a padded thing for storage, with a strip to hold safety pins, and a little pocket for soothing cream or whatever, and another pocket to hold baby wipes... that kind of thing. I haven't started it yet, because I'm not entirely sure what it needs to hold! I'm not planning to use many creams or lotions, and I want to use non-disposable nappy liners and baby wipes. But for some reason the concept of a hangy thing on the wall really appeals to me!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#142 of 165 Old 03-08-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNRPMom View Post
beansricerevolt~ Yep. When my machine does what you describe it's DEFINITELY time to send the machine for a good clean and reset....

Another voter for KWIK Sew patterns! I'm horrid at patterns but those are really hard for me to mess up

Sewing a couple of scrap projects today. SIMPLE,SIMPLE baby quilt tops. Will post pics when I'm done. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
That sounds like the perfect case of needing to be taken in for maintenance.

Thanks so much! Im going to take it in this week. Its kind of a bummer. I just started a project (Im making kitty toys in the shape of fish with my cats names hand embroidered. I'll post a pic when im done ) and could use it. Hopefully it won't take long.
#143 of 165 Old 03-11-2008, 07:01 PM

Can I join in too? The only thing I've sewn is a welding cap for DH and a few cloth baby wipes for DD's dolls.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#144 of 165 Old 03-18-2008, 01:06 PM

Dang, everyone has been so busy!! I haven't done any sewing in weeks, and it's killing me! I've been busy traveling and just now getting back into regular life, but my future sewing projects are:

3 Mei Tais--one is a gift and 2 are for twins (I'm actually getting PAID to make these!!!!!!! I'm totally freaking out about this!!)

Then, fitted dipes. I made one a while back and it turned out really well. I just need it to be more absorbent, so I'll use terry on the inside instead of old tshirt. I used cute old receiving blankets from Target for the outer part and am too scared to try velcro yet, so I've been using snappis. I'll try out some velcro on this next one, though! That's the only thing I'll need to purchase to make lots of fun dipes!!

Mama to a wild girl and a chill lil' man , wife to a mad scientist , and resident of a country that I love to hate and hate to love.
#145 of 165 Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 AM

trinitylou-velcro is really easy. I was nervous about it too for some reason but you just sew it on like anything else. It's so easy. It's not like elastic or anything.
Also, I don't have anytime to sew either. I just sneak it in here and there. I've got projects piling up for days. I'm supposed to be sewing my friend some placemats and napkins. I will go look for cute fabric this weekend. I'm excited. Shopping for fabric is so fun!

What's everyone else up to these days?

#146 of 165 Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post

What's everyone else up to these days?
I've been keeping myself busy with other projects while I find the time to take my machine in. I just taught my self to knit so I've been doing that and I've got a screen printing project in the works.
Im really excited to get my machine back. I can finish my glorified cat toys.
#147 of 165 Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 PM

I'd like to join the tribe! My sewing machine has been sitting, unused for about three months now. The trouble is, we've moved and it doesn't really have a spot yet. And I have a toddler! But I need to get it worked out and get back into it. I'm in the middle of a skirt (my first project!) that I really want to finish already.
#148 of 165 Old 04-07-2008, 01:05 PM

Bumping us back to the 1st page

How is everyone sewing? I was getting really into it and then had to put everything away We're remodeling the house and there is no room for me to set my machine up since we have furniture stuffed into every room in the house (our living room/kitchen/dining room is under the remodel.

Until I can pull it back out, I will sew vicariously through you

\m/

#149 of 165 Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 PM

Still stitching here. Doing another quilt top (slashing the stash...) and thinking of projects I can work on for Christmas. No laughing! We're frugal and it takes me some time
#150 of 165 Old 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNRPMom View Post
Still stitching here. Doing another quilt top (slashing the stash...) and thinking of projects I can work on for Christmas. No laughing! We're frugal and it takes me some time
Oh I should start thinking of those Christmas gifts too since I'm a super slow at getting stuff completed (so little time to sew). I'm working on the AB weekender bag and then I have a bunch of summer stuff planned.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page