The brand new to sewing tribe! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 165 Old 04-07-2008, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stitching more. I'm halfway through a reconstructed jeans skirt and I have the pieces cut for a knights tabard for a friends son

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#152 of 165 Old 04-08-2008, 01:16 AM

here!!! :

I am so new to sewing but I love it. I have sewn so far my #1 dd's baptism dress, diaper inserts, and a few curtain skirts. They didn't come out perfect but I was surprise how they came out for a novice lol!!!!

I am ready to start again and do my new baby's nappies

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#153 of 165 Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM

I just finished flower girl dresses for my DD's to be in BIL's wedding. I of course can see all the problems, but DH thinks they are great.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#154 of 165 Old 04-08-2008, 07:29 PM

is there an embroidery thread or forum thats good? i got my sewing/embroidery machine yesterday but was busy with plants that also came in the mail (its mail week this week...i just got 2 more packages! lol). i just set it up and tried a few things and i am in LOVE!!! i can't believe how nice this thing is...the last sewing machine my mom bought me was self thread, self power, etc and just became a pain in the arse. it was only an $80 machine so my mom took it back to donate to a friends sewing for kids drive or something. i've wanted an embroidery machine for a while even though i am not that crafty. i still need to order more thread since i have bits and pieces but nothing that will work when i really get going. i also am wondering if you embroider on regular weight fabrics but not all cotton what kind of stabilizer do you use? i heard coffee filters work good but do they?

anyways i fixed dd's carseat cover so i finally washed it since i didn't want it to fall apart. yaya! one tiny project done. lol

gosh as for goals~ i would like to make some shopping bags i think...i hate buying them since they give you free bags at the store so making my own should be fun. i need to put some decor in the kids room so maybe some cloth pictures would be fun. and i would also like to do a back support pillow for the couch. the embroidery part of the machine is just going to be fun for me to add accents to sewing projects i guess...although i would like to make a fun car bag. who knows where i will go!

anyways i will reread some of the thread when i can but if you have info at your fingertips about embroidery or sewing thread/projects (instant grat lover here too!) please let me know!

BTW i have a brother HE 120 and PED basic (which BTW was $380 altogether shipped!)
#155 of 165 Old 04-14-2008, 04:56 PM

I did my first sewing project in many years last weekend. With my mom's help I made a valance for my kitchen (you can see it at http://cultofdomesticity.blogspot.co...g-project.html) Now I've got 2 valances to do for the guest bedroom, and a valance and crib skirt to do for my baby-to-be's room. I'm also going to do some cloth diaper burp cloths and hopefully a nursing cover too. I love going to the fabric store and picking out fabric--it's becoming as bad as my yarn addiction. But, I also have some old flannel PJs that I can't bear to part with so I'm going to use those for some baby things.

Since I was totally unfamiliar with the machine I was using when I made my valance (it's my sister's) I was having difficulty determining stitch length and tension. So I made myself a little helper using scrap yarn..I just sewed some seams at varying lengths and tensions and labeled them right on the fabric. This was a big help. Now I can go back to it if I need to (if I'm using similar weight fabric).
#156 of 165 Old 04-14-2008, 05:04 PM

Subbing. Not really new to sewing exactly but kind of clueless.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#157 of 165 Old 05-26-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I decided to revive this thread. I FINALLY pulled out my sewing machine this morning after a 2 month hiatus. It was really hard to make time for it after moving. Anyway, I took up 2 pair of DH's pants. They don't look awful, but they certainly don't look good enough to post a pic. I am also altering a shirt, but I'm probably going to have to get out the seam ripper. : We are going on vacation soon, but when we get back I plan on making a carrier for DD's doll. She keeps trying to put on our baby carriers so I think she would love her own.

So what has everyone else been up to?
#158 of 165 Old 05-26-2008, 02:05 PM

Oo, I want to join this tribe! I am really new to sewing. I'm about to post a really stupid question on the main page, lol.
I'm going to make a blanket for the baby and hopefully curtains for her room.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#159 of 165 Old 05-26-2008, 03:47 PM

i started in on my addicition high gear just a few days ago and i'm having a BALL. i made a purse (hinderliterfamily.blogspot.com) a pocketbook, a checkbook cover and a chinese take out box purse. and i'm rareing to go! i can't believe how much fun i am having.
#160 of 165 Old 05-29-2008, 04:52 PM

:

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#161 of 165 Old 06-01-2008, 02:33 AM

Can I join?

Ive been an on & off sewer for a few years. Until I finally found a source of bobbins for my machine. Now it works beautifully--no more wonky stitch tension! lol

I just made ds a wool cover using a goodwill sweater. It came out pretty well for my first run thru. Can't wait to do more!

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#162 of 165 Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 AM

I'll join!

I haven't sewn since high school home ec. and using my mom's machine to sew a few projects as a teen. My DH just bought me a sewing machine and serger for my birthday so I can start making diapers and other goodies. I flipped through the manual tonight and I'm happy to say that I retained a lot of information, but these computerized machines are sooo different from what I've used in the past. I'm going this weekend to pick up some fabric since I already have friends begging for projects, I'm really looking forward to getting back into something crafty again.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#163 of 165 Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
I'll join!

I haven't sewn since high school home ec. and using my mom's machine to sew a few projects as a teen. My DH just bought me a sewing machine and serger for my birthday so I can start making diapers and other goodies. I flipped through the manual tonight and I'm happy to say that I retained a lot of information, but these computerized machines are sooo different from what I've used in the past. I'm going this weekend to pick up some fabric since I already have friends begging for projects, I'm really looking forward to getting back into something crafty again.
What a great birthday gift. Which machines did you get (brand wise)?

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#164 of 165 Old 06-05-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
What a great birthday gift. Which machines did you get (brand wise)?
He got me a Singer sewing machine, and a Janome serger.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#165 of 165 Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 AM

I'll join you all, too!

I got a sewing machine for Christmas and have made a few baby blankets as gifts, but I'm still completely clueless on most everything. My mom is an expert sewer, but we don't mesh well together in a teaching situation, so I'm going it alone--but now I have you guys!

I just got a pattern to make dd some lightweight capris for summer. This will be my first time reading a pattern. I'm nervous!

K, mommy to DD (Nov '06) and DS (March '10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page