Daft question about Knitpicks Options....UPDATE... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do they come with a short (40cm, 16") cable? If not, then how do you knit soakers and longies with them?????

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 06:28 PM

They'd have to have shorter needle tips for 16" needles - I'm pretty sure that's why they still sell 16" circs on the web site. I think the needle tips on the Options are a good 5" long, so to make a 16" circ the cable would have to be about 6" and it would be too cumbersome to even think of using - I know the needle tips on my regular 16" circs are shorter than my longer circs and the ones on my 12" circs are short enough that I have to take breaks because my hands start hurting. There are times when I'll do things with magic loop just so I can knit more comfortably and thus faster than with a 16". It's a similar deal to why you can get anything smaller than a US size 4 (3.5mm) needle tip in the Options because you can't cope with super small diameter needles and interchangeable cables.

Do either of the other interchangeables sets come with super short cables? I'd be interested to see if anyone else has found a way around it since making smaller needle tips just for small diameter knitting would seem to defeat the purpose of an interchangeable set.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:08 PM

The Denise set has 16 and 12" cables. The needles don't seem all that cumbersome. I've decided the best compromise is to get the Options set and then treat yourself to 16" addis! *drool*
Old 12-30-2007, 07:09 PM

24" is the shortest cable with the options set. Instead of ordering a bunch of 16" cables needles, I was just using my bamboo needles, but I love the nickel-plated so much that I ended up learning Magic Loop with a 40-47 in. cable for smaller circumferences rather than a 16". I love ML. I no longer use dpns, and seldom use 16" circs--for a hat, for example, I use magic loop and use one needle from beginning to end, just changing needle tips if necessary for ribbing.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
Old 12-30-2007, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh, I knew someone was going to use the bad nasty magic 4-letter word I really don't want to go there- and besides, if I was going to magic loop then I'd buy myself a complete set of ebony and rosewood circs in 40".
Drat. And possibly bother. But thankyou :

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:33 PM

Inquiring minds....

Define the word "daft" for an American.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazfglori View Post
Inquiring minds....

Define the word "daft" for an American.
I'm American too...but I *think* daft usually means dumb/crazy/silly, etc.

Oh, and I believe knitpicks said they couldn't get the 16" circs to have smooth & solid enough joins when they tested them for their options sets. I have no problem spending $4-7ish each for a few pair of 16 circs (at knitpicks) and would really love to have an excuse to buy some of the harmony needles! I like my Clover wooden needles in 16" too.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, you pretty much use dumb for daft

Right, off to go shopping. At least this way I can find out if the nickel is going to be a problem for me before I spend the money on a whole options set...

Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Oops. Never, ever EVER ring Get Knitted. They have a very lovely, slightly pushy salesman who took the words "please sell me some knitting needles" very literally And now I have to tell my husband...:

Old 12-31-2007, 09:59 AM

Old 12-31-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Yeah, you pretty much use dumb for daft

OK...I kinda *assumed* that, but I didn't want to say something that would be offensive it it didn't mean that.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Oops. Never, ever EVER ring Get Knitted. They have a very lovely, slightly pushy salesman who took the words "please sell me some knitting needles" very literally And now I have to tell my husband...:
Inquiring minds want to know - what's the damage?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

fortyfive quid : To use the "buying power" conversion thingummy, it's 11 skeins of cascade 220, 30 bars of organic fair-trade chocolate or 7 copies of IWK. BUT my mum gave me yarn money for Xmas, so that makes it OK...

DH has told the whole street

Old 12-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Good for you!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
fortyfive quid : To use the "buying power" conversion thingummy, it's 11 skeins of cascade 220, 30 bars of organic fair-trade chocolate or 7 copies of IWK. BUT my mum gave me yarn money for Xmas, so that makes it OK...

DH has told the whole street
Can she be my mom too? Not that I have too much to complain about but man it would be nice to have that kind of money to drop on knitting. Of course fate would have it when I get money again for that kind of stuff I'm going to have a newborn so no time to knit anyways.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a spoilt one and only, though, remember My mum kicks ass in many ways, not least because she came to Christmas dinner wearing the cardigan I knitted for her the birthday before last Now THAT's love. Oh, and right now I have stash issues- as in too much, not enough space, is it wrong to make the newborn sleep in the yarn? issues :

Old 01-01-2008, 04:55 PM

Sounds like you got it all figured out, but here's another thought: you could buy an extra set of tips in the longie size, and use 2 circs. If you don't like ML, that is.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

I might do that, actually. GK are giving ravellers a 10% discount on ravellers meet-up day, which I might be able to get to (it's the day I hit 37 weeks, and it's an hour's drive.) In the meantime, I'm feeling all excited because there's only 12 hours until the postman comes

User Tag List