What can I do with Rose Petals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-22-2003, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 large baskets full of rose petals which I saved from my daughter's funeral. What are some ways I can use these other than potpourri?
#2 of 9 Old 08-22-2003, 06:08 PM

Hey Moonglowmamma! How are you?

I make incense with my rose petals. It's called love incense & you burn it on smouldering charcoals. Smells divine. I don't have an exact recipe as I make it as it comes.

What you need is some orris root powder, some dragon's blood resin ( lump not preground ), some dried lavender flowers & rose petals, some musk fragrance oil & some patchouli essential oil.

Grind up a bit of dragon's blood resin the approx size of your thumb nail into a powder. I use a pestle & mortar to do this. Then mix in enuf orris root powder to make it all go a sort of dark pinkish/red. Mix in a few drops of musk & patchouli. Mix in a few tbsps of the lavender flowers & then crush or cut in a similar amount of rose petals. Mix well. Burn on charcoal disks.

Other things you could do is add them to bath bombs, you could make dream pillows or decorate a photo frame with them. You know, stick them around the outside of a piece of card to form a textured border & then cover with the glass for the front of the picture. I think there are a few recipes out there for rose petal jam, you can also put it in tea if they are from a fragrant rose.
#3 of 9 Old 08-27-2003, 02:19 AM

You could make jewelry out of it...I will see if I can find a recipe...but basically you boil the petals until they are mush, form them into balls and let them harden. End up with a pearl-like necklace. Let me look it up

I have heard that as your body heat warms the beads, you can smell the roses somewhat.

edited to add links

http://www.mindspring.com/~maclain/s...rosebeads.html
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/...tos/rosebeads/
http://www.sodbuster.com/Kids%20Arti...ID092297JC.htm
If you are Catholic, here is a place you can send the petals and the nuns make a rosary with them: http://users.erols.com/carmel-of-por...talrosary.html

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#4 of 9 Old 08-27-2003, 06:40 AM

I tried the boiling and squishing roses technique before and it didn't work well for me.

I would get other roses to practice on before using the ones from the funeral to make beads.

This site also makes beads for you.

http://www.petalstoremember.com/products.htm

Not all those who wander are lost 
#5 of 9 Old 09-03-2003, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I love the idea of making the beads. I think I'll practice on some roses I bought for my husband before using my cherished rose petals.

I have enough that I think I will also be able to decorate a frame with them. How do I affix them? What about keeping them dust free?

What is a bath bomb? How would I add them to one?

It makes me feel good to think I can incorporate these rose petals into different parts of my life, as a way to remember my baby girl.
#6 of 9 Old 09-03-2003, 04:30 AM

With a photo frame, what I'd do is you know how you get those photo frames with glass over the top & a cut out card border ? Well I'd glue the rose petals over the card border to cover it. Then put the glass over the top. The petals will fade with time, but if you keep them out of the light, that will help slow the process. You may like to ask your local craft shop if they have some kind of spray on laquer stuff that could seal them in better so they don't fade.

I was going to suggest on your funeral ideas thread that you chose a significant plant ( like a rose of some kind ) that was in flower now so that you could remember her every year at this time. I'm not sure if you did that or not but that way you could redo the photo frame every year so it looked fresh.

Bath bombs are these fizzy things you put in your bath that you can make yourself. You put essential oils in them usually to fragrance them. I've got a real simple recipe I can dig out if you would like.

If the petals are fragrant, you could macerate them in a odourless base oil like almond to make a scented oil that you could use in massages, in the bath etc.
#7 of 9 Old 09-04-2003, 07:32 AM

Bath bombs are citric acid and baking soda, generally two parts baking soda to one part citric acid works fine. A lot of recipes add cornstarch but you don't have to use it.

Just mix dry ingrediants add yummy essential oils then use a sprayer with witch hazel in it and spray a few times. You'll want to add it slowly as adding liquid makes the baking soda and citric acid mix making them fizz.

If you can get it to stick together then make a ball and let dry, if not just spray a few more times and try again.

They are lovely in the tub. I sometimes get crazy and add dry milk or other fun things that will melt in the bath. If you have dry skin you can add other oils to the mix if you want.

bath bombs are what set me off on an addiction to making various other bath stuff..just to warn you.

#8 of 9 Old 09-04-2003, 08:30 PM

where do you find citric acid?
#9 of 9 Old 09-05-2003, 05:32 AM

You can find it at beer or wine making supply places. I think Hobby Lobby carries it by their soap stuff.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page