Do the microfiber towels sew ok? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-03-2008, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to sew some contoured 3 layer soakers for pocket dipes out of the microfiber towels you can buy at Walmart and whatnot. I currently use them now and just fold them, but I'm going to have a nb in a couple months and if I could cut down CDing work that'd be good. I'd do fitted's but don't feel like they get clean enough and they take forever to dry. So anyway, just figured I'd cut some towels up and serge the 3 layers together. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 AM

When I have done this for pocket diaper inserts, I just fold the towel in 3 and sew the top and bottom. This keeps the long sides open so that they can open up in the wash to get cleaner and dry faster. I have not bothered to serge them because the towel edges are already finished (and my serger can not handle something so thick). The only problem is that they often get kind of flipped around during the wash, so they have to be straitened out before stuffing the pockets...I still think it is quicker than folding each towel to stuff.

Married to my sweet DH and mom to Teddy (1-4-07) and Silas : (3-21-09)
#3 of 6 Old 01-04-2008, 11:58 PM

I have serged 3 layers without a problem. I'm not sure if I read your post right, but you don't want to be putting the microfiber up against the skin--you meant to put in the pocket, right?
#4 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 05:47 PM

Maybe my machines just suck, but when I try to sew or serge through 3 layers it breaks my needles and bends my cutter on the serger
#5 of 6 Old 01-18-2008, 12:39 AM

I can serge 3-4 layers of microfibre just fine with my Brother serger!
Good Luck!
#6 of 6 Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 PM

I would use a heavy needle like a denim needle, something sharp at least, and have some thread lubricant on hand too. I recently tried sewing toweling and had to find this out the hard way after bending a few needles.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page