Knitting/Crocheting with Carpal Tunnel - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2008, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone do this? Are there any tips to make knitting or crocheting with carpal tunnel easier/less painful? I found out today I'm in the beginning stages of carpal tunnel... (I've had symptoms for a while now, but was just diagnosed.) And I just learned to crochet and want to knit, too! : Is either crocheting or knitting less detrimental then the other? At this point I don't know what to do... I don't want to give up both... That, and I'm a medical transcription student, so I also do a huge amount of typing. Any thoughts or suggestions?
TIA ladies! I hope we can figure something out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 02:54 PM

Knitting continental style is easier on your hands than english(throwing) style. It seems like crochet would be harder on your hands, because I tend to move my wrist a lot when I crochet.

The main thing is to try not to use your wrists to move your hands. If you can do most of your movement with your shoulders, you'll be less likely to injure your wrists.

As much as possible, throughout everything you do, you should act as if you have a ruler taped to the back of your hand and arm. When typing, make sure you're in an ergonomically correct position, and use something to prop your wrists on.

You should also do arm, hand and shouolder exercises frequently. Don't spend too long at any one activity without breaks.

A couple of good exercises:
Giant Piano:
With your wrists straight, palms to floor, hold your arms in front of you. Move your fingers as though you are playing scales on a giant piano. Use just your fingers, keeping your wrist as still as you can.

Shoulder rolls:
forward and backward.

Figure Eights:

Keeping your hands in line with your arms, hold your arms in front, and "draw" horizontal figure eights (infinity symbols) in the air with your fingertips. Swivel your wrists, but don't bend them up/donw or side/side. Use your shoulders, too. Do a few one clockwise, a few counter-clockwise.

If you know a good LMT or and ND who does bodywork, you should be able to get a demonstration of these, as well as more tips.

HTH
Lia
Old 01-17-2008, 08:47 PM

AND the Wrist things, need to find a link, but when my right hand is killing me the extra support really helps!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 07:59 AM

I was just reading reviews about a crochet hook and one came from a woman that had CT and she said that this particular needle really helped her and allowed her to continue to crochet

Clover Soft Touch Crochet Hook. Read reviews from link at the top of the page. I have one of these hooks (size 7) and I just love to use it. Best of luck.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
Old 01-19-2008, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Loom knitting might be an avenue for you if the pain gets too much.
http://www.loomknit.com/

http://loomknittinghelp.com/
Quote:
So why is loom knitting becoming popular again? It could be because it's a fast and easy way for someone to get into knitting. The stitches come out even your first try. It's also a way for knitters who have mobility issues such as arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome to continue with the craft.
I recently taught myself the basics of knitting with needle but before that I loom knit and it is fast, easy, the stitches are nice and even...
Old 01-19-2008, 02:59 AM

When my CT acts up I start wearing wrist supports at night while I sleep. For me knitting (continental) is harder on my hands but that could be because I am new at it and far more tense!

User Tag List