I'm going to make some fitted diapers - advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-27-2003, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I can't find the fitted dipes I want - microfleece inside, cotton sherpa outside and hemp fleece in between with aplix closure, so I ordered all the stuff and am going to try making them myself. I can make patterns, so I think I will be able to figure one out based on a wool cover pattern I made (if you want to see it, click on Eliza's name below - pics 1-4 ).
Is there any advice you can give me? I am thinking I will make them sizes, not one-sized, as I like a less bulky look. Anything I need to know? Any words of encouragement?
Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 08-27-2003, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

P.S. I want one layer of sherpa on the outside and 1 layer of microfleece on the inside. How many layers of hemp should there be between? Should it be thicker in the pee area? I want the diapers to last for 2 hours or so with no doublers or anything. I plan to make them open up (like wings) for faster drying....
TIA
#3 of 6 Old 08-27-2003, 10:00 PM

Well this is only my opinion and I normally don't read complaints about this so take it with a grain of salt, but I don't use sherpa (especially with fuzzy side out) because I use fleece (microfleece on my fuzzibunz and windpro covers and AIO's). I find that sherpa lints alot (as well as the fuzzy side of hemp fleece and attaches itself onto my fleece/microfleece causing excessive lint balls on the fleece diapers and then my baby's bottom.

If I didn't use microfleece/fleece I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem using sherpa or hemp fleece fuzzy side out.

Anyways, I like 3-4 layers of hemp fleece - so if one full layer in the body of the diaper (of hemp or sherpa) then I would do a soaker with 3 layers on the inside. You should make a soaker that is 4-5 inches wide by 12-15 inches long that you attach to the diaper for absorbency.

http://www.diapersewing.com/fitted_with_velcro.htm
http://momzworld.tripod.com/clothdiaper/freepattern.htm
http://sewdiapers.com/

I know that cookiepants has a great resource site with fabric sources and other pattern links. I ended up buying mine - my current favorites are honeyboy (turned and topstitched - no serger necessary) and goodness gracious. Now that I just got a serger and press for snaps, I'll probably try out my poopockets sidesnap and cuddlebuns patterns. Best wishes!
#4 of 6 Old 08-28-2003, 12:51 AM

I just found a great site with free patterns for sewing your own diapers. http://www.geocities.com/mytafadhali...gTutorials.htm
I have found that they just take way too long to dry if you make them absorbant enough that you don't need a doubler. Perhaps, try a soaker outside of the diaper, attached at one end. Just a suggestion. I've been sewing all kinds of diapers, much experimenting, so pm me if you have any questions. -Alisha-

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#5 of 6 Old 08-28-2003, 10:54 PM

I would also say that it is worth the trouble to figure out how to do a quick-dry soaker..otherwise those suckers take FOREVER to dry.

I use one layer of hemp fleece in the body of my diaper, plus an outer fabric and sometimes an additional inner knit layer. I then make a 3-4 layer serged hemp soaker to snap in, although you could just as easily make a soaker that's anchored on one end of the diaper, if that makes any sense.

Personally, I've tried to make fold-out soakers (kind of firefly style, if you KWIM), but only with limited success.

Happy sewing! Keep posting you questions...there are lots of us here who sew our own diapers. And make sure you post pics when you get some made..we'll give you praise and admiration!
#6 of 6 Old 08-28-2003, 11:37 PM

Scheelimama thanks for the great link!

Also there's a list on yahoogroups sewyourown diapers which is very active and if you have a question you'll usually get 2-5 answers. Plus, you can search the archives...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sewyourowndiapers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page