Show off your latest diapers and covers!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2003, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I love love love sewing with wool. My album has two new covers that I made for some MDC mamas....

Look here!! The pictures aren't too good, but you get the idea.

I've finally figured out how to full that wool just the right amount, and the fall leaf cover was so nice and soft I almost couldn't part with it!

I think that now that my dd is out of diapers, though, I'm going to need some other wool-sewing projects...maybe a jacket for her...any other ideas?

But I digress...what have you been working on? Show off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2003, 12:42 AM

wowzee! THose are great I'm going to have to try applique. Do you use any type of stabilizer? And is it a 2 layer for improved waterproofness?

I was going to work on some covers tonight and tomorrow. I should do applique but don't have scraps for it.

Oh and do you use jersey or flannel?

Great job.

Going to quilt shops, there are so many nifty wool applique wallhangings. Why not buy a pattern and give that a try? Or a wool quilt? Or wool lapquilt?
Old 08-29-2003, 08:01 PM

That is gorgeous!

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 08-29-2003, 10:25 PM

Wow! Those are so cute! I was going to show mine, but those just totally out do me. Your monster must have the most fashionably-diapered bum around!
(Ok, actually I can't find the cord from the camera to connect to the computer...)
Old 08-29-2003, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

warneral, I've been using the merino wool flannel from fabric.com--the trick has been figuring out how to prepare it so that it felts up just the right amount. The first batch I did got so thick that it was a one layer cover or nothing, and it was tough to even do elastic b/c the wool was so thick.

The appliques are a combination of jersey and flannel, whatever scraps I have.

I didn't use any stabilizer, just a little wash-out fabric glue to baste the appliques down while I sewed. One of the nice things abou wool (in contrast to fleece) is that the wool actually kind of sticks to itself (think felt board).

And yes, it's a two-layer cover..I find those the easiest to sew b/c the elastic just gets sandwiched in the middle, and you don't have to deal with binding, which I'm terrible at.

Have you made your wool cover yet? Do it, do it!

And throkmorton, actually my dd is recently out of diapers, so I'm scheming for another way to get felted and appliqued wool on her...probably a wool jacket (although I'm intrigued by the quilt idea..I've never seen a wool quilt. Does it have wool batting? Cotton? As long as I can TIE it, I don't have the patience for the actual quilting part.: ).
Old 08-30-2003, 12:12 AM

I don't see why you couldn't tie a wool quilt. I would felt all of my fabric first, but that is mostly because I am a bit of a clean freak, and would feel compelled to wash it twice a week. I would do wool batting, if cost wasn't an issue. Hey, if you are going to do it out of wool, you might as well go all out, right?
It's too bad you live so far to the south, I was about to suggest wool snow pants, wool mitts, wool toques... Ok, I am dreaming of winter coming soon, can you tell?
Old 08-30-2003, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Not to get totally OT, but right now I can hardly even imagine winter, it has been the hottest week of the summer here. It does seem a little incongruous to be so obsessed with wool in the middle of a North Carolina summer.

(That's why I have to order all my wool--noone actually SELLS it down here. Or not much, anyway.)

And it gets cold enough here to make good use of a hat and mittens...I think I may start with a jacket that I can applique and then make a hat to match.

Oh dear, I think I've just hijacked my own thread.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:55 AM

Pinky, well yes I did sew up a cover today! THis is my second one. I used a wool jersey which felted too much. (IKWYM about the merino one will make a great 2 layer but the saphire color is so super thick it will have to be a 1 layer).

The cover is a banana wool jersey and one layer cause it's pretty thick and dense. I dyed some FOE last night and got my snap press in today! It is lovely but a tad too big for ds. I'm going to start working on another one tonight making it smaller and stretching the FOE more.

For some reason I am intimidated by sewn in elastic but not by FOE. I haven't made my cuddlebuns or a serged wool cover yet b/c I'm intimidated by the sewn in elastic and by serging it afterwords. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet pretty soon here!

I'll post some pics once I get another one done. Oh and I want to make a fitted with stripes which will match the banana cover perfectly Maybe I shall try a cuddlebuns diap.

Oh and I think the MDC rules allow someone to hijack their own thread LOL.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:38 AM

I should have added in my post that Barbara's beautiful cover is headed this way for my son Forest-- the leaves are very appropriate and she sewed us a beautiful leaf-print diaper earlier, too. I'll try to remember to post a picture of him wearing it on this thread when it arrives!

Old 08-30-2003, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by warneral
For some reason I am intimidated by sewn in elastic but not by FOE. I haven't made my cuddlebuns or a serged wool cover yet b/c I'm intimidated by the sewn in elastic and by serging it afterwords. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet pretty soon here!

That's so funny--I'm just the opposite! I made one bound cover (using stabilized nylon tricot, which is admittedly much harder to work with than FOE) and it looked like cr@p, so I haven't tried another one since.

Really, it's easy to sew the elastic to one layer and then serge it...very forgiving IMO.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:09 PM

I would have to agree. Enclosing the elastic then serging will hide any mistakes. Well, assuming you don't run over your elastic with the serger and ruin it, that is.
Oh, topic. MamaMonica, that is super cute!
And I finally have pictures of the soakers on my hard drive, now I just need to find a decent picture hosting site.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:46 AM

That's really nice! I wish it were mine. I've been doing a lot of sewing lately but none for myself and I don't wanna spam. I wish it were all mine though. When I get a really beautiful fabric I tend to make them in sizes other than dd's so I won't be tempted!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 08-31-2003, 03:29 PM

Megan, I think its OK to show off things that you sew here- without it being spam. I am not positive where the line on that is.

The wool and leaves would make a beautiful fall or winter wool coat for your dd, Barbara. Or even a wool hat with appliques! Now that she's out of dipes, there are so many fun things she could wear. Maybe little fleece mittens with a design appliqued on top? Or a winter scarf with appliques on the ends... just brainstorming.

Old 08-31-2003, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Megan, I totally agree that it's okay to show off things that you are making, even if you are making them to sell..I think it's only spam if you post a picture and then provide a link to your store or discuss the fact that it's for sale or something like that.

We'd love to see what you're doing!
Old 08-31-2003, 10:14 PM

Oh my! Pinky, those are fabulous! I love them all.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
Old 08-31-2003, 10:44 PM

okay then!
Here is one I made a few weeks ago
http://whitecalx.home.comcast.net/im...s/cowcover.jpg
and I made two of these from fabric I got from fabriconnection.com
http://whitecalx.home.comcast.net/im...m_pea_wool.jpg I sold one though, maybe I'll keep the other for dd.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 08-31-2003, 10:50 PM

ooo- I love those! Especially the cow!

Old 09-01-2003, 02:49 PM

That cow is too cute!

User Tag List