hemp and bamboo fabric?????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never used either of these fabrics, but I'm considering it. can I get some oppinions about them. what do you like/ dislike about either hemp or bamboo? since they aren't available locally I'm totally unfamiliar. Thanks
#2 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 11:31 AM

I love, love, love hemp. I love bamboo fabric before I do anything with it. I don't enjoy sewing it; it's like sewing a cloud. Soooo soft to touch but not so much fun to put through the machine. Then, as it wears, I fall out of love with bamboo.
#3 of 9 Old 01-31-2008, 05:10 AM

I just like how durable hemp is. Really, hard-core durable
#4 of 9 Old 01-31-2008, 01:27 PM

As a pp said, bamboo is not as easy as hemp to sew, and it wears out a lot faster, especially 100% bamboo. It is soft as all get-out, though.
#5 of 9 Old 02-01-2008, 11:43 AM

What kind of bamboo fabrics are you having wear out quickly? I have lots of bamboo/cotton fleece diapers that are wearing well. I have had bamboo jersey get holes really quickly though.

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#6 of 9 Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the tips. I have been looking into buying and sewing some bamboo dipes myself. I love hemp too. It kinda sounds like I'll be sticking with it!
#7 of 9 Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom View Post
What kind of bamboo fabrics are you having wear out quickly? I have lots of bamboo/cotton fleece diapers that are wearing well. I have had bamboo jersey get holes really quickly though.
I have a few bamboo/cotton french terry dipes that I made. Very soft, very absorbant, but the ones I put aplix on are tearing around the loop strip. The ones I left w/o fasteners to use a snappi with are wearing fine. I've been thinking about getting some more and trying again.

I love hemp. Very durable.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#8 of 9 Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWarrior View Post
I have a few bamboo/cotton french terry dipes that I made. Very soft, very absorbant, but the ones I put aplix on are tearing around the loop strip. The ones I left w/o fasteners to use a snappi with are wearing fine. I've been thinking about getting some more and trying again.

I love hemp. Very durable.
Interesting. Did you use a ball point needle for the bamboo? I'm surprised that the snappis don't wear it. Those teeth are pretty vicious I haven't had any trouble with our bamboo/cotton fleece. Bamboo is so new to the fabric industry that it's not very well understood.

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#9 of 9 Old 02-14-2008, 12:15 PM

I'm pretty sure I did use a ballpoint needle on my machine. As far as the snappi, there is some snagging where the snappi grabs, but it's not wearing holes through my diaper like sewing the aplix did. But I do have a few lay in doublers that I made out of it too, and those are still great.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page