favorite sling patterns? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-18-2002, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been on a major sling-making spree lately--a sling for every occasion! I have made 2 New Native-ish type tube slings and one really hideous but fantastically functional rebozo type sling. Just curious what else is out there in the world--how do you mama's make your slings? I'd love to make something a la Maya Wrap, but I don't have access to one for copying! Also, anyone know a good source for sturdy rings?

thanks!

finnsmama
#2 of 8 Old 03-20-2002, 12:30 PM

This probably isn't what you're looking for...but I stumbled across it and thought it was interesting! I would like to try and make it someday...though I'm a little overloaded with slings myself (a New Native, a Maya, and a Rebozo! )

FREE BABY CARRIER:
Turn your old jeans into a sturdy denim baby carrier! You'll need two pair of adult jeans, with no worn spots on the backside. Remove the backs from the fronts, leaving the thick side seams attached to the discarded fronts. Cut off waist-band, belt loops and leg hems. Make a T-shaped cut up the centre from each crotch, as follows: On one jean-back - "T" is through the centre of the back pockets.
On the other jean-back - "T" is midway between the crotch and bottom of back pockets. Fold the legs in on themselves to form 4" wide straps. Double-stitch along the length of both sides of these straps. Place one jean-back on top of the other, to form an "H" shape - lining up one jean-back along the top of the other's pockets. Double-stitch the two jean-backs together.
Tie the shorter straps around your waist. For a front carrier, have a friend help place baby's stomach against your stomach, baby's legs on either side of the carrier seat. For a back carrier, baby's stomach is against your back. Bring carrier and longer straps up over baby, with one strap over each of your shoulders.
For a front carrier, you could cross the straps at your back. While you hold securely on to the longer straps to support baby, have your friend mark or pin where these longer straps meet the seat part, making sure this is a comfortable position for baby and you.
Remove baby and carrier, double-stitch longer straps to marked spots, on the inside of the seat part. Finish by folding and hemming any remaining cut edges. Make sure all stitching seams are strong and sturdy for safety.

(from www.borntolove.com .... oops, did I just violate copyright laws? )
#3 of 8 Old 03-21-2002, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

what a weird, wonderful, thrifty idea! I'm having kindof a hard time visualizing how this would actually work, but I definately am curious to follow the directions and find out...next time I have two pairs of jeans ready to be sacrificed

any other ideas out there?

love, finnsmama
#4 of 8 Old 03-22-2002, 04:01 AM

I just got my pattern from Elizabeth Lee Designs today!! It looks like a really easy-to follow pattern and includes adult size, child size and assorted bags. I am so excited!
I don't know if this is the kind of thing you are looking for, but I'll post the link.
http://www.elizabethlee.com/patterns/nc202.htm
At the top of the page is a link to sturdy rings. She has metal, nylon and colors.
If you don't want to mail order the rings, try a marine supply store.
Happy sewing!
#5 of 8 Old 03-26-2002, 06:27 PM

I just made a fleece tube sling- soooo simple, but I have to a\wait for this baby to arrive to see how it works with a newborn...If anyone wants directions I could email them to you with a little diagram of the one I made.
I also love my Elizabeth Lee slings(I've made four for myself in the last 2 1/2 yrs) but I lengthen the tail 9 " and shorten the padded rails by four inches to make it more adjustable.

A maya wrap is easy to make- it's just an unpadded sling with rings. I take 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 yds (depends on the size of the wearer ) of 45 " wide cotton ( I look for one that feels really good and not stiff) I hem all the edges then fold one short edge into accordians until it's about 5" wide, I baste these folds. Then push this pleated end though two 1/4" rings and fold the end down about 4" to encase the rings now stitch the pleated part down securely!! The sling is ready to wear now, but you have to thread the open tail end through the rings in the right way. Hold the sling rings in your right hand, pass about 12" of the opposite end through both rings then fold it over the top of one ring and through the second. (it would be best to look at a ringed sling in use if you;ve never done this.) I hope this is clear, I would be happy to answer email questions if it would help anyone....
sagemama@attbi.com

speaking of sling obsession:
I am currenly looking for someone who can share some info about a real didymos sling... I am so obsessed by figuring out how all slings work I'm tempted to order one, but at $130 I really shouldn't!

Warmly,
Jolene
#6 of 8 Old 03-28-2002, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

sagemama--thanks for the info about the Maya Wrap-ish slings...I am searching for some worthy fabric right now, can't wait to find something so I can try it out.

I'm right with you on the Didymos thing. they look soooo cool, but are so expensive. I am trying to convince myself that they are worth buying for the pretty fabric alone. Good thing I am not very persuasive:

love, finnsmama
#7 of 8 Old 03-29-2002, 07:40 PM

I found some instructions for the didymos here: http://communities.msn.com/MamaRoo/didymossling.msnw

I used broadcloth to trial the sling and it works fine for us. The Didymos site says that their sling is stretchy, opaque at a distance (for discreet breastfeeding) and translucent close-up (so that baby can see the world). I have a beach wrap/sari that does those things, so i suppose if you wanted the funky fabric/colours that you could chop up a sari and sew it back together in a long strip.

Happy Slinging!!
Su
#8 of 8 Old 03-29-2002, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

neato, shards!

There are links from that page to several other sling patterns too, I see--a couple for maya wrap types and one for a "modified didymos". Soooo many new sling patterns to try now! YAY!

love, finnsmama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page