Beginning knitters support thread - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 279 Old 08-08-2004, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Knitting.... just picked it up and I'm doing ok, but I think I have stage fright! I am working from a free soaker pattern and just past the ribbing, but my increases look really loose! Is this a big deal since they will be sewn together?
Should I try something a lil less ambitious first??

All you knitting mama's amaze me! Crochet is sooo easy for me compared to knitting
#272 of 279 Old 08-08-2004, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michray
Crochet is sooo easy for me compared to knitting
That's funny (I mean ironic!)... I'm the exact opposite! :LOL
#273 of 279 Old 08-08-2004, 12:09 PM

LOL! I think its the two needle thing that I am finding daunting.. a needle in each hand.. so what do I do with the yarn??

Its getting easier and I really do enjoy it, I just think my fear of messing up something I have worked so hard on keeps me from Just Doing It!

I love these support threads, tho Its very encouraging to see that newbies are cranking out truely lovely things.
How do you all ever find the time??
#274 of 279 Old 08-08-2004, 04:31 PM

hi, my name is Shannon, and I am a new knitter-been at it for 2 weeks now. I have made a pair of soaker shorts (nearly finished-but the legs are giving me a pain in the neck) and have started a newborn soaker for a friend. As far as time, I have found that by simply cutting out 2 or 3 pesky meals a day-I have time to sew diapers, clean house and knit
Shan
#275 of 279 Old 08-08-2004, 07:00 PM

I started knitting about 6 weeks ago. I made a cute baby sweater from Vogue Knitting Baby but I haven't assembled it yet. I am hoping to make a matching hat for it.

This shrug is my current project. I am using Homespun in a dark steel grey and Wool Ease in Wood. Its really gorgeous even though its acrylic.

I've crocheted for years but knitting seemed so intimidating. It still is. I have printed out a ton of free patterns online that I hope to make. And all my friends are getting knitted scarves this year.
#276 of 279 Old 08-08-2004, 07:49 PM

That shrug looks so cool! I'm still stuck trying to k1,p1... I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
#277 of 279 Old 08-08-2004, 09:41 PM

The shrug is so easy. Its all stockinette stitch with some increases and decreases. I am not totally sure that I did my increases correctly but it looks ok. Basically, its a long scarf with tapered ends that you join for sleeves.

I just find it overwhelming - too many neat patterns and not enough time to make them all!
#278 of 279 Old 08-09-2004, 02:14 PM

Didn't see this thread before!

I'm Shannon, been knitting now for 2 or 3 weeks. I'm 1/3 done with a green-heather wool scarf (stockingette at the end and then k4p4 ribbing) and just spent too much $$ for yarn, new needles, and a pattern for a rollneck sweater for my little boy. The yarn is this nice soft tweedy wool/silk/cotton mix in a dark orangish red, which will hopefully go well with his fair complexion and yes-I'm-of-Irish-descent red-tinged blond hair.

DH is shaking his head at me, convinced this is a phase! I knit in all my free time lately, which is not much since I WOH FT and spend the rest of my time with DS.

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#279 of 279 Old 08-10-2004, 12:24 AM

Hi mommas! I'm on the last six rows of a scarf for my son. It is cute but kind of funky. I can see about five mistakes that I won't be making next time. The knitting doesn't make me nervous but looking at patterns makes me nuts. I guess I need some mroe time before I can decipher a pattern without running for help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page