Beginning knitters support thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2003, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by pb_and_j
I am having an issue. Somehow, when I knit my rows get longer and longer and I don't know why. I just started a dishcloth and began w/ 58 stitches. After a few rows I had like 65! So I tried knitting 2 together a few times, and it was ok, but then it kept increasing again. Is this a common problem? Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes! yes! yes! This is what happened to my dishcloth, too. I was doing a fancy pattern with yarn overs to make lacy holes and when doing the yarn overs I must have done an extra wrap (that equaled an extra stitch at every yarn over) because the top edge of the cloth was twice as wide as the bottom.

If you're doing a yarn ove between 2 knit stitches, just bring the yarn forward as if to purl between the needles to make the yarn over.

I really think dishclothes are hard. Even though they are flat. I had better luck knitting a round hat.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2003, 08:27 PM

I haven't picked my knitting up in a few days- been too busy, but I think about it a lot! I hope I'll have time this weekend to work on it, but we have lots going on, so I'm not sure I will.

I'll say that knitting is a lot harder than I thought it would be!

Monique, that's so cool that you found a yarn shop so close!

Monica, are the booties hard?

If any of you guys have digital cameras, I'd love to see some pictures of what you're working on. Once I actually get started on my hat project, I'll post a picture of it. Well, if it turns out okay I will.

Good night knitters!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 09-26-2003, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Chrissy,
I'm doing the moc booties fromlittle turtle knits

These are not hard.

Old 09-26-2003, 08:49 PM

Or, technically speaking, it's dd's sweater.

Here are some pics of her wearing it:

Maggie in her Joseph sweater

The best part is how excited she is about it!!

I am now obsessively working on another project...a knit-in-the round pullover raglan sweater that has a snowflake pattern. So far, so good...I love knitting in the round. I've just started the sleeves on dpn's, and it isn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I just love not having to purl!

Happy knitting, everyone!
Old 09-26-2003, 11:41 PM

Pinky,

That is awesome!! I love the 3rd picture- she looks so proud. And what a cutie!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 09-27-2003, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaMonica
Yes! yes! yes! This is what happened to my dishcloth, too. I was doing a fancy pattern with yarn overs to make lacy holes and when doing the yarn overs I must have done an extra wrap (that equaled an extra stitch at every yarn over) because the top edge of the cloth was twice as wide as the bottom.

If you're doing a yarn ove between 2 knit stitches, just bring the yarn forward as if to purl between the needles to make the yarn over.

I really think dishclothes are hard. Even though they are flat. I had better luck knitting a round hat.
*phew* I'm glad I'm not a knitting freak or something. My sil showed me how to knit and do the "loop" thing as she called it to make a lacy hole. I wonder if I'm doing it wrong on the pattern I'm using. It says "yfwd" for the "code." I just started doing a "loop" like sil showed me.

I should really go into my yarn shop and ask them. Knitting is easier to figure out w/ a live, 3D person, kwim?
Old 09-27-2003, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Julie, if you bring the yarn forward between the needles like you're going to purl, then knit the stitch, it forms the loop automaticallly (because the yarn goes around back again to knit, KWIM?) and if you do just that it eliminates making too many extra stitches. That is if you are doing what I did- I still am not sure what i did, but I fixed it by doing that.

Yarn shops are great. I'm going in tomorrow for help.

I love that coat, Barabara. Your dd is so cute, too!

Old 09-27-2003, 01:31 PM

Hi

I'm relearning how to knit. I havent really done any knitting since i was a kid. I'm finding it almost impossible to hold the darn needles the way that you're supposed to. I think i could knit a LOT faster if i could get the hang of holding onto the right needle correctly. When i try to wrap the yarn around my fingers like this http://www.wonderful-things.com/knit1.jpg i end up with a really tight stitch, and it's really hard to hold the needle so that i can work with it. I guess i'll just practice and see if it gets easier.

Also, when i knit flat, my stitches on either end of the row are kind of loose and unsightly (all the rest of them are fine). I tried out casting on, knit, purl, casting off, knitting in the round with double points, switching colours and that's all a go, it's just the really basics i'm stuck on.

I'm working up to making a santa stocking for ds. I have one that my nana made for me, and i'm recreating it so that ds has one too (and probably one for dh too so that we all match LOL!).
Old 09-27-2003, 02:41 PM

doh, i shouldve watched the video clips before i posted. I figured out what i'm doing wrong at the ends of my rows. I wasnt going in from the front.

I also tried out the continental style of knitting and it feels way more comfortable to me. Yay!! Now i just need to master continental purling...

Happy knitting mama's!!!
Old 09-27-2003, 03:03 PM

Aster, those video clips saved me from throwing the knitting needles out the window when I couldn't figure out how to purl. I tried holding the yarn over my index finger the "correct" way and it was so frustrating I wanted to scream! I don't think it matters how you hold the yarn a long as you get good tension, kwim?

I really need to try knitting in the round w/ double points. Monica, is the LTK bucket hat pattern good for that? The pattern is only $6 so maybe I should just give it a go. My blue wool yarn is sitting next to my computer as a reminder to learn how to knit in the round w/ double points so I can start my Longies!!!
Old 09-27-2003, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Julie, the hat starts on circular needles and you only use double points at the very end when the top gets too narrow for the circulars.

You could try the tube sock in Kid's Knitting (form the library) and that would be free- the whole sock is done on dps. I'm doing that sock and it goes slow but its a good way to learn...

Old 09-27-2003, 11:38 PM

....thanks so much for a beginning knitters thread! I have these grand ideas of a winter spent learning to knit in front of the fireplace ... my happy toddler gently (and quietly) playing at my feet ... : um, okay, maybe not ...

but I am really interested in learning how to knit. I checked out a couple of books from the library thinking they could show me, but they were waaaaay ahead of me. So, on my last library trip I went to the children's section and found some books designed to teach kids to knit. Much more my speed

I thought my mama could teach me, but it turns out that what I thought she was doing all these years (and baby blankets) has been crocheting, not knitting.

Anyway, it's nice to know there are others learning ... maybe I'll get brave and share some of my first attempts and we can share a laugh together :LOL
Old 09-28-2003, 02:37 AM

Hi all! I'm so excited to have found this thread - I just got through reading the whole thing and have already learned some stuff! It's great to see so many people interested in this hobby!

I'm a VERY new beginning knitter - as in I just picked up my first pair of needles yesterday. It's going ok - I completely understand the concept of casting on and I get the knit stitch too. It's just that everything I do looks AWFUL! Some of my stitches seem too tight, others too loose, and it all just looks bunchy and awful. I'm beginning to suspect that part of my problem is the yarn I'm using. I just figured since it was for practice I'd just get the cheapest thing I could find. It's worsted weight and 100% acryclic (a gorgeous color though, which is another reason I bought it!) Anyway, the yarn feels slick, and my needle keeps poking through the strand, if that makes sense - what I mean is that it's a 3-ply yarn, and I keep slipping the needle between the 3 woven strands. KWIM?

Anyway, I guess my whole point is asking if the wrong yarn could make my knitting look so awful (or at least be partially to blame!) or if it's all me! What kind of yarn and what size/type needles does/did everyone use for practice?
Old 09-28-2003, 01:38 PM

k4kara~crocheting goes a LOT faster than knitting. I've been crocheting for years, and if it wasnt for this stocking that i want to make ds, i probably wouldnt have picked up the knitting needles again. It's all good though.

MiaPia~if you think the yarn you have isnt going to work for you, why not try a different kind of yarn? Personally, i avoid the synthetic yarns bc i end up with burns on my fingers from where they slide across my skin. I like the 100% cotton stuff--i use the bernat handicrafter cotton (and size 4.5 needles) bc it's easy to find--all the dept stores around here carry it. The only problem that i have with it is that the plys of yarn come apart sometimes, so i have to watch out for little loops--it sounds like the same thing's happening with your acrylic yarn. I wonder if that's a really common problem for a lot of yarns.

It might just be that you need to find the right tension though. Keep practicing, it'll get better!! Oh, are your needles the right size for the yarn you're using?
Old 09-28-2003, 02:08 PM

I am so glad that there is a beginning knitters thread. I just started knitting a couple of days ago ( haven't knitted anything for 20 years) and I have managed casting on and off and knitting. I just completed a lovely and very simple baby hat in garter stitch (all knit). Now I am trying to purl and having problems!

I understand the mechanism and have watched the very handy video referred to earlier. However, my problem is that I am not purling on the same side each time. I am getting a very funky (but not intentional) stripy effect as I have a purl row and then a "knit" row which is the back of the purl row on the other side of the fabric.

How on earth do I ensure that I am purling on the correct side each time. The book I have only tells you what to do for one row .

Any help would be eagerly welcomed.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:00 PM

I know what I did wrong now! I should have been purling one row knitting one row to get stocking stitch. I feel a bit silly now but it's not very obvious when you are doing it from a book .

It was such a revelation though when I realised what I needed to do. I am so happy, it's ridiculous that I should get so excited about knitting but there you go .

Now I can try some of the cool patterns that I have been lookoing forward to making.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you figured it out! When I first tried to knit I didn't switch the stitches to the other needle (used one needle like a crochet hook). I threw the book across the room at that point.

I just finished my first thing that had no errors at all in it- a bootie. the first two pairs had a few screwy things in them. My sister, who crochets, says you need to make three of something before you get it right.

I also just finished my first sweater sleeve and am knitting the shoulder. The rows are now really really long since the shoulder front and back are connected in one piece.

Now I just need to get the second bootie perfect, too- the pressure is on. I see a dropped stitch I need to get. I'll post a pic when these are done.

I should also take a picture of the mutant things I did as well LOL

Old 09-28-2003, 11:00 PM

I have been trying the checker stich where I knit2 purl2 (k2p2) anyways I just figured out that i am not sure home to purl in the middl of the stitch then go back to knitting. I am somewhat stumped! But oh well, I threw my needles and tried like 3 x but I am going to be up at it again. I keep bringing the work under the fabric but that seems to not let it increase but if I don't it just doesn't look right. I think I will try a simpler pattern. Any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2003, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

for k2 p2, just flip the yarn forward between the needles from knit then purl and flip it back after 2 purls to knit again. You have to do this Before you stick the needle in the stitch or you get an increase. HTH

learned this at the yarn shop.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:03 AM

Ok, I have a total newbie question! I've heard not to work too close to the tips of the needles, as this can make the work too tight. So how far from the tips of the needle are you supposed to keep the yarn?
Old 09-29-2003, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mia, just make sure it is on the fat part of the needle when you form the stitch- as close to the end that's not on the tapered part.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MiaPia
Ok, I have a total newbie question! I've heard not to work too close to the tips of the needles, as this can make the work too tight. So how far from the tips of the needle are you supposed to keep the yarn?
I have been sticking them through till the tapered part is done. Does that make sense? Work just past the tapered part, at the thick part of the needle.

Monica, I have been having problems w/ k1p1 and k2p2 too... that is interesting what you said about it! I am planning on going to the yarn shop tomorrow for some one on one help and that was one of the things I was going to ask them.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:25 AM

Thanks you guys! I'll try that and see if it helps!
Old 09-29-2003, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else having a problem with their gauge changing? I did a gauge swatch for my booties and the first one is right on, but my second one I was knitting faster on (getting bored with same thing) and have too many stitches to the inch so its going to be smaller. Darn. I have the problem of inconsistent gauge even though I do the darn swatch.

I am annoyed because my dd keeps asking for her booties but I doubt they will fit now. I could rip, but I'm more than halfway and that took me 3 days.

OK- that was my vent. I think if I had more time to knit I wouldn't be so attached to my results but I can only knit when kids are asleep or dh is home.

Old 09-30-2003, 04:59 AM

Ok, today I went to my yarn shop for help... I was having a heck of a time w/ k1p1 and I had no idea what I was doing! The lady was very nice and helpful, but told me I was purling wrong! lol After I showed her what I was doing, she told me she had never seen that before. :LOL Isn't that funny? But we got it all figured out.

I'm working on another dishcloth that is going well and very quickly (the pattern is Chinese waves or some such thing) and I just started a scarf that is k1p1... I kind of messed up some on the scarf, but I am not ripping anything out! Ug... I'm just pressing on.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaMonica
Anyone else having a problem with their gauge changing? I did a gauge swatch for my booties and the first one is right on, but my second one I was knitting faster on (getting bored with same thing) and have too many stitches to the inch so its going to be smaller. Darn. I have the problem of inconsistent gauge even though I do the darn swatch.

I am annoyed because my dd keeps asking for her booties but I doubt they will fit now. I could rip, but I'm more than halfway and that took me 3 days.

OK- that was my vent. I think if I had more time to knit I wouldn't be so attached to my results but I can only knit when kids are asleep or dh is home.
Sorry Monica. I have not actually done a gauge swatch yet! All the things I've been doing don't really matter if they are too big or small, kwim? I hope you can figure it out.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:14 AM

no, not to yarns (yet)

But, to collecting all these cool knitting websites in my fav places! Especially thank you for posting the one with the videos that show you casting on and off and purl

And, its so nice to know I'm the only one new at this - while I'm trying to be patient with myself and think I"m making more of a big knotted mess than knitting antying, it helps to think of you mamas all over leaning, too.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:26 AM

Lots of you have mentioned the LTK booties; how simple are they really? I'm working on a really simple hat from Kids Knitting. The booties look great for a next project because they're so little and therefore quick to make, right? Just let me know what you think. Sounds like you work them on two needles. And would 100% wool be scratchy on little bare feet? Can they be made in a blend or chunky cotton (is there such a thing as chunky cotton yarn?). Thanks.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:11 PM

Hello fellow knitters!

I finished my first project, a LTK newborn wool soaker! It is super cute and wasn't too hard or traumatic. Although, I didn't realize that when knitting in the round you don't have to alternate between knitting and purling. : My soaker kept getting bigger and bigger around. It would have fit my 3yo. I asked Theresa about it and she solved my problem. I had to rip out the thing to the ribbing but it was worth it. The kitchener stitch terrified me but it looked PERFECT! I must say though that after I weaved in my ends the soaker didn't look as good. I guess I need to work on that.

Next up: the LTK Pumpkin Hats. I can't find any Cotton-Ease here though so I am getting frustrated.

I have the LTK bootie pattern and it doesn't look too hard. I plan on making some for my little ones for Christmas after I finish the hats. I am waiting on some yarn to make some little longies for this baby too.

Oakdale mama-the pattern says you can use any smooth, worsted weight yarn. Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton is mentioned. I don't think the wool would be scratchy. I guess it depends on what kind you get. : I bought my soaker yarn from Theresa at LTK and I LOVE it!

Monica-Where did you order you good dpn's from? I need some and I don't feel like dragging my kids into the yarn shop. About the gauge, yes, I have to be careful because mine changes as well. Sorry I can't help, only commiserate.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 09-30-2003, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k4kara
I have these grand ideas of a winter spent learning to knit in front of the fireplace ... my happy toddler gently (and quietly) playing at my feet ... : um, okay, maybe not ...

:LOL

Same here.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

User Tag List