Beginning knitters support thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 279 Old 10-01-2003, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aurora, it is not hard to knit on 2 circular needles once you get the concept. I didn't get it at first and for the life of me couldn't join on a purl stitch, so I went to double points. Now that I "get it"- the circulars are very easy. You just need that "aha" moment- the yarn shop helped on this and then it is not hard.

I am still scared of socks that aren't just tube socks- that's where I'm at now.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#122 of 279 Old 10-01-2003, 08:47 PM

Well im almost done with Jen's pattern but for the life of me am scared whitless of the circulars and still have no clue how to sew the two sides together...will figure it out i guess..Overlooking the LTK patterns i got they look sorta complicated and intimidating..And somethings in there i just cant understand...GOTTA LOVE BEGGINERS KNITTING . I am teaching myself from a book and just yesterday found out that my 18 yr old cousing knew how to knit : but she has no clue of how to work with circular needles and took them home to night to figure them out..lolIt has been fun but im still not up to the LTKs kindda scared of them..lol

:My 7 year old boy Ari, my fun loving husband and my life!
#123 of 279 Old 10-02-2003, 12:24 PM

Thanks Monica. I don't know if I will even get to them before Christmas. I have so much planned already and baby is due late November so I am kinda in a time crunch right now.

Liya-Honestly, the LTK patterns are easy and Theresa is really friendly and helpful. I have bugged her a bunch! :LOL That's neat that your cousin can knit. I taught myself from a book and just diving into the LTK soaker pattern. It would have been nice to know someone who could help IRL.

My first Pumpkin Hat is coming along beautifully. I will need to switch to the dpn's soon and am a little scared of that but I'm sure I'll survive :

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#124 of 279 Old 10-02-2003, 02:14 PM

Shes not much help shes left handed and the way she does stuff is kindda confusing so when i get tiered she just takes the stuff and then knits herself, soooo much faster than me : .... lol But it was kindda nice to see i was doing things just fine and that my book worm knowledge wasnt as bad as i thought...She did teach me and easy way to cast on though...

:My 7 year old boy Ari, my fun loving husband and my life!
#125 of 279 Old 10-02-2003, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck knitting, Linda! I think that only practice makes you fast- I'm slow, too.

Good luck on those double points, Aurora. I'll be thinking of you! You can do it.

I gave up on my sister's socks because my sister wanted acrylic not wool, and the acrylic yarn was burning my fingers as I knit. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm back to doing my wool tube sock.

Only wool or cotton for me, I guess.

#126 of 279 Old 10-02-2003, 03:30 PM

Ok, I'm gonna quit lurking on this thread. My name is Angel ( Hi Angel )& I'm about to knit my first soaker.

I spent a wasted day trying to find size 4 circular needles yesterday & ended up ordering online. All these needles I was given & I didn't have these!! ARRRGH!

I've been practicing in the meanwhile & I hope to get started on my LTK soaker this weekend. I bought some beautiful autumnal colored wool yarn a few weeks ago & the fact that I'm still looking at it is making me crazy!

I hope that all this lurking will have put some knowledge in my head!!

Angela: Mum to 3 & wife to the man in the funny suit.

#127 of 279 Old 10-02-2003, 05:39 PM

This thread moves so fast! I can hardly keep up!

Thank you thank you Julie! I've started this dishcloth and it's surprisingly do-able, even for someone like me who seems to be all thumbs at times!
Quote:
Originally posted by pb_and_j
Anyway, I am doing a dishcloth that is called "Chinese Waves" and it is super easy and fast... it is my first project that is actually turning out perfectly! Here is the link to the pattern. I would try that or a scarf or something. You know you can keep knitting and purling for a while and end up w/ a scarf anyway!
Oh yes, please! I would love the instructions - I'm looking for a simple hat to do for DD and DS!
Quote:
Originally posted by lawyORmama?
Mia, I'm doing a really easy hat that is all in garter stitch. At the end you make a pom pom for the top. If you're interested I can tell you how to do it.

I also just purchased the LTK moc bootees! I can't wait to try them. There is supposedly a yarn store around me somewhere, so I'm going to attempt to find it tomorrow to stock up on supplies! Happy knitting everyone!
This is so fun!! Noah and I are going to check out a new yarn shop this morning.
#128 of 279 Old 10-02-2003, 08:03 PM

Okay Mia, here ya go....

~Garter Stitch Hat~ (one size fits up to 24 months)

**materials**
- 1 skein Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted
- small amount of Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted in another coordinating color
- 1 pair size 9 knitting needles
- yarn needle
(pom pom stuff which I'll tell you about later)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With main yarn, loosely cast on 56 stitches. Work in garter stitch until piece measures 8 1/2 inches tall; this will take about 68 rows. Bind off loosely.

Place your knitting on a flat surface with the cast on edge at the bottom and the bind-off edge at the top and measure it. It should be about 14 inches wide and 8 1/2 inches tall. fold in half so that it measures about 7 inches wide and 8 1/2 inches tall. Using the mattress stitch (okay, I'll have to tell you about this one later too) and a yarn needle, sew the open side and the top of the hat together.

Once you sew that together then you make a pom pom and sew it on top.

I'm still in the knitting phase so I'm not sure how the other parts work.

Let me know if/when you need the other details.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#129 of 279 Old 10-02-2003, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

on the subject of hats, does anyone have a nice, not too hard pattern for a preschool-sized winter hat? I can knit in the round but am still not ready for anything super fancy.

#130 of 279 Old 10-03-2003, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaMonica

I gave up on my sister's socks because my sister wanted acrylic not wool, and the acrylic yarn was burning my fingers as I knit. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm back to doing my wool tube sock.

Only wool or cotton for me, I guess.
You know, the acrylic yarn doesn't burn me but it creeps me out. : Seriously. I have become that way with all things acrylic though. I bought an acrylic/wool blend to do the Pumpkin Hats in and I HATE knitting with it! It just feels icky! So, I am going to finish them up and only use 100% cotton or wool from now on too.

Welcome Angel!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#131 of 279 Old 10-06-2003, 10:59 PM

Oh my gosh! I just finished my hat and it is hilariously silly looking. I will post a picture tomorrow when my son is awake and I can get him to model it... if it fits.

#132 of 279 Old 10-08-2003, 12:27 PM

Ok, the rest of my circular needles finally got here. I did my guage last night (first try, sigh of relief!!) So here's my question. Is Long tail method of casting on the same as slingshot?

I'm hopping to get started & I can't believe I can't figure this out!!!

#133 of 279 Old 10-08-2003, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Chrissy, hope that hat fits! Can't wait to see it!

Angela, yes longtail casting on is the same as sling shot. I had the same question.

Happy knitting!

#134 of 279 Old 10-08-2003, 02:22 PM

Thanks Monica! I must have missed that somewhere...I should have made coffee this morning!!

Woo Hoo! Off to make my soaker...ummm I mean Luka's soaker! :LOL

#135 of 279 Old 10-08-2003, 02:27 PM

Chrissy-How did it fit?

Angela-Have fun!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#136 of 279 Old 10-08-2003, 11:24 PM

I can't wait to see pics of your hat Chrissy! I was going to try it, but now I'm scared! LOL

I'm so lame - I'm still just working on a dishcloth! Tell me - is it normal for my hand to be sore, and for a blister to be starting on my right index finger? Or am I just lame!

I did get the bootie pattern from LTK - I've read through it and hope to get the supplies for it this weekend. I'll start it when (if!) I ever finish this dishcloth!
#137 of 279 Old 10-09-2003, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mia, you can do it. Good luck with those booties! The pattern seems a bit scary in places but if you take it one step at a time it is all do-able.

Now the longies, those are scary LOL I am thinking ahead to picking up stitches... I'm sure if I just follow my own advice and take it one step at a time it will be OK...

#138 of 279 Old 10-09-2003, 07:01 PM

sorry no picture yet. i need to recharge the battery. it does fit though- hurrah!

Mia, you're not lame! good luck on finishing your dishcloth and starting the booties!

#139 of 279 Old 10-10-2003, 08:30 PM

I'm another beginning knitter hoping to join you all!

I actually started trying to learn a few months ago, but things were hectic and I gave up. I started again last night (I read through this entire thread for inspiration! and for hints!). I think I have the hang of knitting, but haven't even attempted purling yet. I'm still in *practice* mode with the knit stitch.

Anyway, I do have a question. What is the reason behind needing the long piece of yarn at the beginning for casting on? Am I doing that totally wrong? I'm working with the end of the yarn that goes to the ball, not the cut end. Should it be the other way? All of the directions online seem to say that you need this long piece of yarn to start with for casting on, and, well... I haven't needed it, so I must be doing something wrong! :LOL

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#140 of 279 Old 10-10-2003, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Anne- there are two types of casting on. If you do a knit cast on, you don't use that tail at all- and that is just fine. The tail is for the slingshot cast on where you wrap the yarn on your thumb and forefinger- then the tail decreases as it goes into the cast on stitches.

Either way works. You want to leave some tail for weaving in at the end- so you need a 4" tail at least- longer if you using it to sew up a seam.

Good luck knitting! Welcome.

#141 of 279 Old 10-10-2003, 10:38 PM

Thanks Monica! That makes perfect sense. It was working fine, I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I guess I wasn't doing anything wrong! I have about 16 rows of garter stitch done now, and after I finish my 20, I'm going to tackle that cute washcloth pattern someone posted. I'm so excited!!! I looked at a few books today, but honestly... this thread (and the links in it) have all the information that was in the books, so I saved the $13!

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#142 of 279 Old 10-11-2003, 10:26 PM

Ok, so I started my soaker. The ribbing went pretty well, 2 little mistakes, but I can live with them. I even changed to another colored yarn for the body. But here's what's weird. My stockingette stitch looks like a garter stitch? I'm about 8 rows into it & I don't understand!!! One row knit, the next purl...just like it says & it looks like a garter stitch.

Anyone? I'm about to rip this out & start the body again. Not very willingly, but I might have to at this rate! I don't want to start the short rows & then have to rip!!

HELP!!

#143 of 279 Old 10-11-2003, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Angela- it seems strange at first- but stockinette in the round is every row knit only. On the soaker or anyhting in the round you need just knit every row to get stockinette- knit/purl gives you garter stitch. I learned this the hard way as well.

The great thing is that it goes twice as fast since you never have to purl.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great that you're doing the soaker.

#144 of 279 Old 10-11-2003, 11:46 PM

Why oh why oh why is that so? Thank you so much, Monica. I guess I will have to rip after all, but at least I don't have to do TOO much...

#145 of 279 Old 10-12-2003, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

I am not sure exactly why LOL I have been trying to figure the mechanics of it, but haven't come up with a reason- just know it works.

Glad you don't have to rip too much. If it makes you feel any better, I had to rip half a leg on my longies because I put the crotch in the wrong place. I did learn by ripping. I guess it part of the process.

Good luck and enjoy your knitting.

#146 of 279 Old 10-15-2003, 07:24 PM

pics of the hat (finally)...

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...9045f0&notag=1

#147 of 279 Old 10-15-2003, 08:48 PM

here's my *technical* explanation of why stockinette in the round is knit on all rounds

Knit and purl are actually mirror opposites of each other. When you are doin stockinette back and forth, you need to purl every other row, becuase the "wrong" (back) side of the work is facing you, so you need to do the exact opposite of what you do on the front, to get the front to look right. But in the round, the right side is alwyas facing you, you never work on the back side. Instead of working in a zig-zag like you do on back and forth knitting, you are knitting in a coil, around and around and around, so you only ever have to knit becuase the front is always facing you,

Clear as mud, right?
#148 of 279 Old 10-15-2003, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

That makes sense, Theresa. Thanks for clearing that up.

Chrissy- that hat is adorable! It looks great. Noah is such a little cutie. Did you make the pom pom, too?

#149 of 279 Old 10-16-2003, 11:49 AM

Hi all. I just took my first knitting class last week. I am a true beginner. My goal is a scarf or hat by xmas (present for someone) and a soaker by spring (for dd to wear under cute dresses). I learned to cast on, knit, purl and bind off, but I have only been able to practice a couple of times, so I have already forgotten how to purl and bind off.

Thanks for the earlier book ideas. I will get to the library asap.

I'll let y'all know if I ever manage to make something. It's nice to know there are other newbies out there!

Trying to get my bearings...
#150 of 279 Old 10-16-2003, 02:22 PM

Theresa, that makes perfect sense!!

I'm just glad you all didn't see me in the car on the way home from my parents last weekend. Not pretty!!! However, now that I get it my soaker is looking really pretty!! Can't wait to finish & show you!!

Chrisy, the hat is great!! & so is Noah.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page