does anyone have one of those silk and flannel - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-20-2002, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
baby blankets like they sell in waldorfy catalogues? i wanted to make some for my baby i've got the flannel and i've tie dyed the silk but i'm not sure how they finish the edges. anyone know?
#2 of 9 Old 03-23-2002, 02:26 AM

I hope to make one as well, but I've only gotten as far as tracking down some China silk (wow...that's expensive!). I'm not sure I would know how to "finish" the edges either.

Please keep us posted...if you find more info, or figure it out yourself! Thanks!!
#3 of 9 Old 03-23-2002, 10:16 AM

Grace got one for her first birthday.. The silk extends to the flannel side and makes a "frame" for the flannel.
If you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to take a closer look at the blanket.

peggy
#4 of 9 Old 03-23-2002, 05:19 PM

My friend made one for my DD. She used an old silk shirt of my Dhs. The edges look like they were folded over and there are 2 rows of stitches.....I wish I could sew so I knew wtf i was trying to tell you...!!! It looks like a hem all the way around. Good luck!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#5 of 9 Old 03-25-2002, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

i thought it would feel nicer if the silk was the edge but that would make for a smaller blanket then i was planning. oh well, i'll tell you what i decide. thanks
#6 of 9 Old 03-26-2002, 05:55 PM

I make these with silk I dye myself, and I just cut the silk four inches larger than the flannel (ie. 44" silk, 40" flannel) then I press a 1/2" hem all around the silk, then I pin it around the blanket edge like a binding (or as someone else said- a frame)
I miter the corners (check a quilit book out of the library if you've never done it) and hold them in place with a pin. Then I just sew around the entire edge 1/16"-1/8" in from the hemmed silk edge.
I use a schmetz microtex needle, which glides through the silk, and cotton or rayon thread.
My dd loves hers.... for great prices on the china silk try
www.dharmatrading.com (white only- to dye yourself- it's fun and really easy)
or I think www.thaisilk.com has dyed silk at reasonable prices.
100% cotton interlock makes a good flannel substitute, but it's a little trickier if you are a begginning sewer.
I make anything/everything waldorf toy related- any other questions welcome! sagemama@attbi.com

Hope that helps,
Jolene
#7 of 9 Old 03-28-2002, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

thanks thats pretty much what i ended up doing but now my husband thinks i should tack it, do you tack yours?
#8 of 9 Old 03-28-2002, 02:47 PM

No I didn't tack mine because I like the way the silk still sort of flows without being too held down. If I were to tack it I think I would quilt small freehand star shapes with rayon thread... hhmmm maybe I'll try that next
jolene
#9 of 9 Old 04-01-2002, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

thanks again! i'm making three of them so maybe i'll tack one and see how i like it. i'm not so good at thinking on my own at nine months pregnant haha! thanks alot!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page